Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Basic C.V and Cover Letter Template  (Read 84892 times)

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
Basic C.V and Cover Letter Template
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:18:48 PM »
This morning I trawlled through lots of C.Vs that were dreadful!  I knew that the candidates themselves had strong abilities but their C.Vs did not reflect this. 

I put together a basic guide for my candidates and thought I would share it with the forum.

This is a Basic C.V Template.  It asks the minimum information required for employers. You can add and alter the sections as you wish or feel necessary....but this is the basic layout required.

Suitable for:-

Administrative / Secretarial / Accounts / Sales / Warehousing / Production / Retail etc..

BASIC C.V TEMPLATE.

Your C.V should ideally be no more than two pages long.

PERSONAL DETAILS.
Name, Address, all contact numbers, email etc… You can also include information such as driving licence if you wish. Remember to ensure all information is accurate.  A incorrect contact number can mean that your employer will move on to their next candidate.  They will not necessarily track you down. Also DO NOT put your age on your C.V.

PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES.
This is the section in where you need to sell yourself! Highlight your personal qualities that you feel would make you attractive to a future employer e.g Good timekeeping, Reliable, Honest, Methodical etc..You can tailor this section towards the job role you are applying for.

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY.
Always start your Employment History with you current position first, then work back through your career. Clearly state what position you held at the company, Company name and the location. Include dates where possible, use approximations if you can not recollect the exact date. Bulletpoint your experience in each role. Think clearly about all aspects of your job. DO NOT put your salary details down on each job...You could be pricing yourself either out of the job your applying for or undervaluing yourself.

COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE.
List the programs you have used or have a knowledge of.  This can also be experience gained from a home P.C as well as work related.  If you do not have any computer skills, leave out this section.

FURTHER EXPERIENCE / INFORMATION / SKILLS OBTAINED.
List information of any special licences you hold eg: NVQs, BTEC etc. Counterbalance and Reach Forklift, Dangerous Goods Handling, First Aid Certificates, etc…Also include any special training you have received Customer Service Training, Retail Courses plus any additional Internal Courses gained through work.

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND.
List Address details of the School / College you attended and the years in which you attended. Include Grades

HOBBIES & INTERESTS
List your hobbies and interests.

REFERENCES
Include the Contact Names and Addresses of two to three references. References must be work related, not a Personal Friend.  One of the references must also be your last employer.

If you have been self employed you can use your Accountant as a reference.

===============================================================

Additional C.V Notes

You do not need to include a photograph on your C.V.

Be factual on your C.V.  Try to bullet point where you can rather than long waffling sentences..Its your skills that your future employer wants to focus on..not your creative writing abilities!  ;)

Its advised that C.Vs are no longer than two pages.  This does not mean however two pages of minuscule typing to fit everything on or alternatively 2 pages of giant font to give you two pages!.  12pt font is considered a good average size for C.Vs.  Two pages is only a guideline..between 1 and 3 is considered acceptable.

===========================================================

COVER LETTER ADVICE
Keep your cover letter plain and simple...No one wants to receive a essay about your life story as well as a C.V.  You can elaborate on those areas at interview.  You need to let your C.V do the talking.  Make sure it is exactly how you wish to "sell yourself" to a company. Its the best tool for getting the interview..not the covering letter

I suggest something along the lines of the following.....

Dear Sir or Madam

My name is...........and I have recently seen your position of ..............(quote any ref numbers here also), as advertised on/in (mention website or newspaper here) and the date you saw the advert.

I feel that I have the qualifications, experience and accreditation you are seeking for this role.  Please find enclosed my C.V submitted for your perusal.

I am a American Citizen and I have full status to work within the UK.  Please see enclosed a copy of my Visa (include a photocopy in with the letter) I am happy to show you the original at interview.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Thank You

Yours sincerely

YOUR NAME

If you want to be traditional..you can hand write the covering letter but if your handwriting is dreadful...type it out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:18:21 AM by LuckyCuz »
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Liked: 0
Re: Basic C.V and Cover Letter Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »
That's a great guide! Thanks for posting it.

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
Re: Basic C.V and Cover Letter Advice
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:32:14 PM »
no problem... ;)

You would be surprised at the lack of information people give about themselves on their C.V....and how many times contact numbers and emails are incorrect so I can't reach the person to inform them of a job in the first place....equally as bad is not having a answer machine on their land line or mobiles not having voice mail facility or their voice mail and text service is full so will not accept messages being left......very frustrating!!!

I hope this helps some people  :)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• *swelch2
Re: Basic C.V and Cover Letter Template
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:02:02 AM »
you somehow read my mind!  i have been looking online for just a template and everything made me cringe :)  doesn't help that i have never had to have a resume for any of my jobs previous to this haha  thank you so much!!!
Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
-Hafiz

• Me and My Baby!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:18:03 AM »
Thanks for the sample CV .. I have been working on one and all the CV Samples I have found on the web are just awful.  This is much more to my liking and resembles what I am used to doing .. a resume :)  Thanks again, it will be very useful.

• Me and My Baby!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:20:14 AM »
ooooohhh I had a question while I was working on my CV .. maybe you can answer it.  Back in the States after having my second child .. I stopped working and did a ton of volunteer work.  I have always been able to add that experience to my resume but am unsure if that would be considered work here in the UK..  anyone know?  thanks

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 11:53:36 AM »
Yes it is considered employment.... put it on your C.V and in date relation to the rest of your working history stating that it was voluntary .  Otherwise at a glance to a employer it may look as tho you have a large gap in your working history with no explanation.

You can also use the organisation you volunteered for as a working reference.

:)

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 04:35:23 PM »
Lucky Cuz

Thanks so much for posting this!!
Was wondering if the order you posted it in should be the order it's written in, ie

PERSONAL DETAILS. then
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES. then
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY. then
COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE. etc

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 04:58:30 PM »
no probs  ;)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:13:21 AM »
Just wondering if it is appropriate to include your national insurance number on the cv, or should I at least state that I have one?  I am guessing since I have been employed that they might assume I have one, but I'm not sure. 
What do you usually put in the personal information about yourselves? 
I read elsewhere on this forum that it is good to state that you intend to live permanently in the UK, etc.  What do you think?

• I love you like a fat kid loves cake!
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 09:31:07 AM »
Just wondering if it is appropriate to include your national insurance number on the cv, or should I at least state that I have one?  I am guessing since I have been employed that they might assume I have one, but I'm not sure. 
I read elsewhere on this forum that it is good to state that you intend to live permanently in the UK, etc.  What do you think?

no need to put yoru national insurance number on a CV. I dont think it will harm to say you intend to live permanently as it shows that you are along term employee prospect.
Sharon-UK

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »
Definitely don't.

Vicky

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »

Also with reference to your NI number you have to remember things such as fraud, the same as not putting bank details on a form until employed etc.
Sharon-UK

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 01:03:05 PM »
Right-O, I will be careful with my digits! 
By the way, I'm struggling with my personal information section.  Do you think I should just put that I am the spouse of a British citizen and am settling here permanently, or should I put my visa details on such as expiry date, etc.?

• facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 01:07:05 PM »
Right-O, I will be careful with my digits! 
By the way, I'm struggling with my personal information section.  Do you think I should just put that I am the spouse of a British citizen and am settling here permanently, or should I put my visa details on such as expiry date, etc.?

Pm'd you
Sharon-UK

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab