Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Weird and Wonderful ways to lose weight  (Read 4872 times)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
Weird and Wonderful ways to lose weight
« on: December 11, 2002, 04:26:11 PM »
Well, as I said in the shrink me topic, I'm getting a trampoline for xmas to help me lose weight.  I'm also going to start swimming again (and at some point actually take swimming lessons so I can learn how to do it properly).  I'm considering taking up some form of martial arts (Aikido is tempting me...) as well as fencing.  Sooo....anybody else know some interesting and slightly off the wall ways of losing weight?

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• En Vino Veritas
Re: Weird and Wonderful ways to lose weight
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2002, 04:36:49 PM »
Divorce ?  [smiley=devilish.gif]
You're a daisy if you do........

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 04:48:42 PM »
[smiley=laugh.gif]  worked for me!  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2002, 04:51:06 PM by ItsBcoz »
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2002, 04:50:42 PM »
Red, You are way too funny...  but not far off track...LOL!, I began to get healthy after my divorce.

Yoga I hear is excellent way to lose...  I love dancing myself as you all have heard and walking...

I think what ever physical activity you choose for yourself would be good as long as you continue with it...

So that is a good Idea...

What activities do each of us do to help us with keeping fit?

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 04:51:21 PM »
Divorce worked really well for me - but remarriage wasn't so good on the waistline!   [smiley=laugh.gif]
I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message . . .

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 05:03:51 PM »
Divorce worked really well for me - but remarriage wasn't so good on the waistline!   [smiley=laugh.gif]

Preaching to the choir my dear, preaching to the choir

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2002, 05:24:28 PM »
Seriously I've found swimming to be top of the charts for me for weight loss but it can be easier said than done. I mean right now my cats won't even go outside it's so cold, so getting me to track down the fitness center and throw on a swimsuit  is just NOT going to happen right now (maybe once I'm back in Cali).

In the meantime I've found the NYC Ballet workout to be outstanding... the idea is strong cardio and muscle strengthening and lengthening excercises (ballerina's are always paranoid about body lines...no bulk). If you have dance training and prefer something that's really effective and can be done at home...this is it, but I seriously would advise people to stay away from it if you don't have a dance background unfortunately....there's too much danger of an injury without it.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2002, 10:08:29 PM »
You know what I have just recently doing to lose weight and get in better shape? Kick boxing! I never thought I would like it, in fact I always thought it was a bit too "butchy" for me ( sorry...lol ) But when I was sick to death of all my other excerise tapes I bought a kickboxing tape and found out I love it. Heres my little secrect.....everytime I have to throw my leg high up in the air and kick - I imangin my EX's face...right smack dap in front of my foot! What joy! lol And it makes the work out so much fun....!

Just a little info....Im not a sadist....lol  My ex was a horrible, verberaly abusive man  >:( - he deserves a kick or two!

Michelle

:P

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2002, 11:49:51 PM »
Seriously I've found swimming to be top of the charts for me for weight loss but it can be easier said than done. I mean right now my cats won't even go outside it's so cold

I was doing really good with the swimming a couple months ago.  But to do it now I have to walk to the bus (bout 10-15 min) stop, catch the bus to the centre (etc etc whine whinge waaah).  The thought of doing that when it's this cold is more than daunting.  The thought of the return trip with wet hair is making me shiver right now! :O

Ah well, I'll sort something out.  I've got you lot to keep me on the path.  ;D

wench

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2002, 11:52:50 PM »
Heya Michelle, I've been interesting in kick boxing for some time (but then by all accounts I am very butch lol), but after my last tape buying fiasco...I've been reluctant to purchase a different one.  Would you mind posting the name of the tape?  It sounds like something I should try!  :D
wench

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2002, 03:10:01 AM »
OOOOhhh, Kickboxing sounds great...if my legs will get up there...

Tried to find a good punching bag last year...  suppose to be great exercise as well as relief of tension...  which I need often aftter work.  

Does Kick boxing work with a bag? or just in the air? Is ok for beginners...or do you really need to be in great shape...  
That really does sound good...  and not butch like...LOL!

and Michelle, LOL...Bowling works great on the same principle...place your ex's face on the head pin... but I guess since I am sorta kinda friendly with my ex...will have to find someone elses face for kicking high...  

shel

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2002, 10:22:08 AM »
The tapes I use are all by Denise Austin.  The kickboxing tape I have is called " Blast Away 10 Pounds "  There is two 20 minute work outs on this tape, one that is just aerobic kickboxing and the other is aerobic with weigh training. You dont have to be a muscle man to do weight training...lol I started with soup cans as weights! lol But now I use five pounders..... ;D

I dont know what shape you are in, but I use these tapes and I am carrying about 70 extra pounds around - and I can still do them. I didnt start this way though, I started with Richard Simmons and did his work out for a long time first... I had to work up to this sort of work out.  I always started doing as much of a tape as I could, even if it meant I could only do it for five minutes. I just kept telling myself that maybe tomorow I could do five and a half minutes..lol  And you know what, I did! Little by little I could do more and more...

As for the tape its self, I dont know how truely accutate it is as for real Kickboxing. But the moves you use are the real thing, its just set in a aerobic form. I know that there is a form of kickboxing called "Tyebo" sp?  I heard that is a good one too....I just havent used it.  I like Denise Austin, but a lot of people dont. She is way perky and smiley.. ( and that can anger some people... ;) )  For some unknown reason she motivates me, and I am not perky and smiley! lol  Who knows...? lol
I just know it works for me.....

Michelle

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2002, 10:25:20 AM »
Opps I forgot to mention that you need no bags or equiptment to kickbox - just air....and room so you dont kick box your 4 year old! lol  Or the tv, or the lamp....ect...lol

I should try bowling....might be fun.....how many pins are there that I can imangin someones face on? lol

Michelle

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2002, 03:04:17 PM »
Okay to continue on this thread...I've used the Taebo tapes and they are really good. Very instructional and it's a hell of a workout. There are varying levels so you work your way up the ladder.

I'd reccomend the workout to anyone...The reason I personally don't use it much anymore is the kids. Now this is going to sound lame but here it is...If I wait till the kids go to sleep, I'm too exhausted to workout (bathtime alone in this place is a circus event), I'm not by nature a morning person and to beat the kids I'd have to be up around 5 am. Soooo the best time for me has always been around 6 pm or so to workout. My daughters of course always want to do this with me which is fine with me, but Taebo got ugly with toddlers falling over and kicking me or each other.
So far the NY Ballet is better...they can just do plies and piourettes to the hearts content and I can get some excercise in...plus it's mellow. Taebo had them jumping around like kangaroos before bed time  ::)
Anyways (sorry for the babble) if you don't have a 'minx and jinx' working out with you like I do, Taebo is a damn fine workout....just take it slow in the beginning, you need to set your limitations to avoid injury.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2002, 03:52:06 PM »
Weird way to lose weight?  Picking up your kid's playgroup flu and puking up for 2 days straight. Voila! 5 lbs gone!!! (I don't know about anyone else, but I have NEVER been so ill with the flu until I moved here. The germs are just much more VICIOUS!)
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab