Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American Furniture/English House  (Read 1595 times)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
American Furniture/English House
« on: December 11, 2002, 05:28:31 PM »
I should have read the topic "What I Shouldn't Have Brought to the UK" more carefully!!!  We spent $7,000 to ship our belongings to the UK, which included my loveseat, chair and ottoman (I had to leave the sofa behind as it was "too large."  The removal people came today and none of those items would fit though the door!   :'(  None of the windows are large enough to fit them through either so they're temporarily in the gargage until we can dispose of them.  Probably unlikely we'll be able to sell them as they probably wouldn't work for most people unless they had a much larger then average house.   Fortunately the queen sized bed just made it up the stairs as did the chest of drawers.

Whinging aside, if you don't already know the dimensions of the house you'll be moving into, I'd recommend either storing large items of furniture in the US until you know what you're moving into in the UK or just sell it and start over again once you're there.  I hate the idea of not being able to use some of my furniture but even worse is the fact that we spent a lot of money shipping something we have to dispose of! :(

PS - I'm not even there yet...poor fiance is up to his eyebrows in this and I don't get there until a week from today!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Re: American Furniture/English House
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 05:22:50 AM »
LOL! I certainly appreciate you making all of my mistakes for me!!!!!! Sorry to chuckle but realize how many problems you are saving for the rest of us moving over. I've been measuring and measuring my beautiful new furniture trying to decide what to do with it. Now I know. My daughter has already "offered" to store my new bedroom suite and my mother has "offered" to store my cottage style kitchen table.

Tell you what, I'll advise you about daughters and grands and you tell me what not to pack!!!!!

Hugs, it must get better! Hang in there, this has to be the worst.
In one success, a thousand failures lie forgotten...In one refusal to try, a thousand successes may prematurely die.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 02:42:16 PM »
Aw runner, that's such a shame! Is your fiancee mechanically inclined enough and your furniture able to be disassembled maybe? Or is that a far stretch? Big hugs to you! :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 03:11:08 PM »
Oh No Sandy I'm Sorry !!!

Um what does a contractor charge these days to put in a new window or a door ? Heck if it's cheaper than buying all new furniture, now might be the time to get those beautiful big bay windows put in  ;)

Hang in there honey.....

Red
You're a daisy if you do........

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 03:26:46 PM »
This happens often.... for everyone.. Any of us can move into a little cottage with little doors, etc also tall and thin houses... lots of things can happen. but window people are accustomed to coming around and taking your windows out, let you get your furniture in, and then putting the windows back. I don't actually think it costs all that much. I'm surprised your removal men didn't suggest it. We once had to take a couch right up the outside of our house and in through a Velux window in the attic. I hope you haven't got rid of your furniture yet. I'm sure it can be got into your house....
Susan

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 07:49:16 AM »
I guess I should feel fortunate that they were ultimately able to get everything but the loveseat and chair in the house so it could be worse (but I love that furniture!)!  Regarding making any structural adjustments like widening the windows, etc. we're renting this place for a year so don't think we could do that.  If it were our house I'd be right on that!!  I am going to look into seeing if there's a way to remove the windows (although Wills doesn't think any of the windows are big enough but I still want to see...) or if there is some way to take the furniture apart.  It sure is worth checking into to!

Mary, I'll try to pass along the mistakes I make as I go because I have the feeling I'll make quite a few!!  I'll definately appreciate your advice on the kids/grands from you! I'm also going to thoroughly search these posts before I make any other costly decisions!!!

Thanks for the advice and hugs y'all!!! :-*
« Last Edit: December 13, 2002, 07:50:28 AM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2002, 01:07:52 AM »
It's not uncommon for people to buy a house because it has a cool fireplace. In fact, I fell for this house because of the tall ceilings and window shutters. There are houses with large front doors (we have one), so you may not have to look too hard to find one when you're ready to move. I know what you mean about the loveseat and chair. I couldn't leave behind my wrought iron four-poster, no way no how.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links