Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can Anyone Tell Me About Bexley?  (Read 1432 times)

• Liked: 0
Can Anyone Tell Me About Bexley?
« on: December 12, 2002, 05:32:21 AM »
Looking around from the US to move August or September. Bexley looked interesting - any info? Also, can anyone fill me in on the Brit definition of a bungalow?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2002, 11:02:39 AM by m1836 »
In one success, a thousand failures lie forgotten...In one refusal to try, a thousand successes may prematurely die.

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me About Bexley?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 02:34:22 PM »
Hi Mary,

I can't tell you anything about Bexley (I live in Bristol which is great), but I can tell you that a bungalow is a one-storey house.

Good luck with the planning and the move!
Suzanne

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 02:39:24 PM »
The English bungalow is what I think of as a "ranch" style home. Sorry I don't have any info on Bexley! :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2002, 02:39:54 PM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 01:48:03 AM »
Bexley is a civilised suburban area of South East London.  I don't know it very well from personal experience, but it's quite well known to South London dwellers in general.  Here is my list of pros and cons, so far as I understand them.

Try looking it up on the web.

Pros

Near enough to central London
Far enough out of central London
Near enough to the dreamy and tranquil beauty of the Kent country side (known as "The Garden of England")
Moderately civilised
Busy, suburban lifestyle, if you like that sort of thing
Easy to get to continental Europe - close to Waterloo (trains to Paris that go under the sea), acceptable drive or train ride to Dover (sea ferry to France)
Access to the London job-market
Demographics generally affluent, professional types (if you like that sort of thing)

Cons
Property prices out of this world
Affordable places are small - not much space in house or garden for sensible money
Not for you if you want peaceful country life
Not for you if you want the real big-city experience: you need to live closer in for that!
Wrong side of London for visiting the North and West of England, Scotland and Wales.
Quite close to the East End (read the Bronx/Queens) - apologies to any East-enders out there

If you're attracted to the Kent countryside (who wouldn't be), but still require easy access to London, you might consider moving further out.  I would recommend Sevenoaks, Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells.  Still expensive properties but you get much more house for your money and have shorter journeys to the real country side, whilst still maintaining easy proximity to London.

Further out still you get even more choice, but the pick of them all is Canterbury - a stunning place.  It is too far from central London for an easy commute (although some people do), and hence property prices are MUCH lower.  But on the upside you get the experience of a REAL historic cathedral city and a somewhat more tranquil lifestyle.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2002, 01:59:56 AM by mountaintroll »

Queens/Bronx!!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2002, 11:02:01 AM »
Queens/Bronx helps a lot. The commute is a big question mark for me. I have never had more than a 20 minute commute in my life. Just lucky I guess. Tonbridge had been mentioned but I have a friend there who loves the area but says he has a 1 1/2  to 2 hour commute one way. I wish there was a way to rehearse commutes from the US!!! I hope I can stay with friends until I actually move into a place. I also think I'll be renting for awhile at first.
In one success, a thousand failures lie forgotten...In one refusal to try, a thousand successes may prematurely die.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2002, 03:02:55 PM »
1 1/2 to 2 hours?  That's definitely an exaggeration, but depends where work is located.  It depends where you work in London - if North London or the West End, then it's probably fair, but if work is in the "City" local-speak for the financial district, then it's probably no more than about 50 minutes.  Trains from Tonbridge go into London Bridge, which takes you right into the City.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab