Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello from Swindon  (Read 1484 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello from Swindon
« on: December 12, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »
Hello!
My name is Judy and I moved here in August with my UK husband and our toddler.  I most recently lived in Minnesota for 10 years, but am originally from Colorado.  I have also lived in Wisconsin and briefly in North Carolina.

I wish I had found this website before we moved here, as there is so much valuable information.  And hearing about the experiences, thoughts and feelings that people contribute on this website has been very therapeutic for me.

Two of my biggest challenges have been driving and finding a job.  The driving part is improving, although I still cringe when I come thisclose to another car on the narrow city streets by our house.  But I don't get the two-finger salute much anymore or frustrated honks due to my uncertain driving.  

I'm still struggling with the fact that I've only been able to find two-part time jobs doing data entry and call centre work and am getting paid less than I was 13 years ago when I graduated from college.  In the US, I had a great job setting up client's payrolls at ADP, and training them on our payroll software.  (Although at the time I had the normal moans and groans about the job.)  I actually have less time to spend with our son now than when I had a full-time position, as the part-time hours are so varied.  My husband is a stay-at-home dad as he is now a free-lance computer consultant taking a break from the industry, and it's nice not having to worry about childcare and knowing that our son is home with Daddy.

I'm hoping to find some friends on this website and learn from the experience and insight that is offered.  I was relieved to discover that I am not alone in my feelings, and the ups and downs that come with moving to another country.

Thanks, and I look forward to logging in often!

Judy from MN

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Hello from Swindon
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 08:51:53 AM »
Ooooo, another Wiltshire girl! Hopster and I will have to kidnap you sometime. She got two toddler boys. What part of Swindon are you? (Please say Wootton Basset or Wroughton...I have a driving 'thing' too; don't like the magic roundabout) I'm in Melksham, not too far away.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 11:24:38 AM »
Hi Judy,

How do you like Swindon?  Swindon was actually the very first place I lived when I first came to the UK 11 years ago.  I spent 6 months living in west Swindon near the Link Centre. Some of the best pub food I've ever had was at the Three Crowns in Brinkworth - it's been a long time since I've eaten there, but I think it still has a very good reputation.

I'm now in Bristol (and have been for 10 years) so if you're ever out this way let me know.
Suzanne

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 12:01:56 PM »
Hello Judy,

I've sent you a PM but just wanted to join the ranks and welcome you here. I like Swindon, personally, although to be honest, I do head to Bath and Bristol for shopping needs.

How old is your little boy? How nice to have a hubby about the place to babysit!!!

Stephanie
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 07:29:07 PM »
Damn! this story is kind of familiar!

Is it always the computer related people who fall for the data input/secretarial related people?

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2002, 03:35:14 PM »
Hello Judy

Welcome to the sight...  Been drowning in work last few days so I am a little behind on here.

This is a nice place... and glad to find it before my move...

looks like you will have some fun neighbors close by with Lisa and Hopster... surely they will make your adjusting a bit more smoother.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2002, 10:10:41 PM »
Hello and thanks to everyone for the greetings.  And definately would like to get together with Lisa & Hopster sometime.
We currently live in Old Town, which is convenient for shopping and the library and one of my jobs.  It's my husband's old bachelor pad from before he moved to the states and he had been renting it out while he was gone.  So needless to say, it wasn't in great shape we got here.  We're currently fixing it up to hopefully sell soon and find a bigger house in West Swindon.  
Our little boy is 15 months old and is an absolute joy.  He's right at the age though, where he's getting into everything.  He also thinks that everytime I get on the computer, it's time to see Elmo on the Sesame Street website, so I only have a few minutes before he'll start attacking my mouse.
We had to leave our cat behind due to the quarantine, and would love to get another one.  We've found it difficult to find a cat however, as the Animal protection league doesn't like the idea of a baby being in the house--although Rhys would be very well supervised when around the cat.  There seem to be cats everywhere on the streets by our house, but we can't find one to buy anywhere, unless we were willing to spend 200-300 pounds on a pedigree.  Nothing in the papers--someone told me it's because you can't sell livestock through the papers and a cat would be classified as such...is that true?
Oh Oh, Rhys is grabbing the mouse..

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2002, 01:06:29 AM »
Hi Judy, from a fellow former-Minnesotan! :)  Where in Minnesota did you live?  We lived in Minneapolis for 11 years, since graduating from university.  

As you know from another post of mine, I REALLY miss Target, but other than that, I'm finding lots of cool stuff about the UK.

Welcome to the board!

Stephanie L.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2002, 10:14:00 AM »
We found our perfect cat though Cats Action Trust. But we did have to pass some interviews and they were worred about the noise from all the construction we were in the middle of with home remodelling. I can keep an ear to the ground for kittens in private homes. Sometimes  you'll see signs posted at curbside, similar to kids' lemonade stands.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2003, 11:18:43 PM »
Hi Judy,

I just found this board (I usually post on another one) and I'm from Swindon, too! I'm originally from New Jersey and have been here for 2 years. I know EXACTLY what you mean about driving. Believe me, if I can learn how to do it, ANYone can.

Where in Swindon are you? I'm in Nythe.  ;D

Gina

• Hi Ya!
    • Welcome to our website
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2003, 10:13:11 PM »
 [smiley=daisy.gif]Hi Judy,
I live close to you!  Gina,  [smiley=guitarist.gif] (she plays a mean lead guitar!) who replied just above, and I both work at Nationwide Building Society in Swindon.  I live in Wroughton and have just passed by 3 year mark of living in England.
I am originally from California....yeah that land of fruits and nuts...  I know I'm not a fruit, but I might be persuaded to admit I am a nut sometimes!
[smiley=mickey.gif]

Jody
The spark in your soul is the centre of your whole existence
And it is bigger and stronger than any government or king
                                              -Runrig-

• A Place to see my pic
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 02:01:12 PM »
Hi Judy,

I'm Melissa and new to this forum. I have posted in a few other topic places already. I replied to Gina's post earlier.

P.S..  I'm in Calne

8)
Webgoddess

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2003, 04:22:35 PM »
Hi Judy,
            I am not there as of yet but I am trying to get as much info together as I can to help us make our decision about moving to England a bit easier. I live in Missouri, and have been here for three years and before that we lived in Canada. Both of our parents were born in the UK but left as youngsters so after growing up with a British mother I was introduced to the sausage roll, potato scone, iron brew, cadburys flake, well I could go on and on but won't bore you, I am now getting hungry and can't get those wonderful foods here in the mid west and miss them so. I also have to say that I love British soaps I have watched coronation street since Hilda was on it and Eastenders is the one I watch now. Well any way my husband and I have always been compelled to go to England to live there for a while to see what it is all about and to get back to our roots. As I have never been to England I don't really know what to expect. Seeing as I will be staying at home with our 2 year old daughter as I do now are there alot of activities for us to do during the day? Was moving to England what you expected, (better or worse) and have you adjusted yet? Sorry for all the questions just seems I have so many, someone please help.              

Thanks
                                                      Cad [smiley=confused.gif]

• Liked: 4
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2003, 05:19:00 PM »
Hi everyone in Swindon and the surrounding areas...Welcome to UKY!!   sounds like everyone is settling in nicely and LisaE is getting alot of new lunch/shopping dates, lol.  anyone planning on moving down toward the east anglia direction anytime soon? hehe.   anyway...youll find lots of friendly folks here and dont forget we have live chats on tuesday and sunday evenings.  come along and join in on the fun.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab