Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How old were you when....?  (Read 64402 times)

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
Re: How old were you when....?
« Reply #630 on: January 02, 2014, 06:49:02 AM »
I was 14 and sat with the guest registry at my uncle's wedding. They were meant to be together, and all these years later are still madly in love.

How old were you when you first went out on New Year's Eve without your parents or a chaperone?

I would say I was 15 or 16. I was in high school, rebellious and loved a good party. Now I would say my NYE are very low key since I have an 8 year old :)

How old we're you when you stopped believing in Santa? What made you stop believing?
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #631 on: January 04, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »
When I was 7, I was hearing the rumors at school. Mom sat me down to carefully and lovingly explain Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all in one agonizing blow. She explained Santa as the spirit of kindness to children as opposed to the man himself, which made it easier to bear.

So, as far as the man himself. 7, but the spirit of kindness to children, I never will quit believing.

How old were you when you stopped building snowmen? If you lived in an area that got snow, that is.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
« Reply #632 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »
lol Why would anyone EVER stop building snowmen?  Every year on the first snow.  To be fair, I'm pretty sure I've been a Nanny or Mother at least part of the year EVERY year of my adult life. Although I have pictures of building a snowman with my Mama and Brother when we were at least 21 or 22, lol.

When you had your first child? [if you have them. If not, how old do you hope to be?]
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

• Liked: 6
« Reply #633 on: January 06, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »
lol Why would anyone EVER stop building snowmen?  Every year on the first snow.  To be fair, I'm pretty sure I've been a Nanny or Mother at least part of the year EVERY year of my adult life. Although I have pictures of building a snowman with my Mama and Brother when we were at least 21 or 22, lol.

When you had your first child? [if you have them. If not, how old do you hope to be?]

20.  How old were you when you moved to the UK?

« Reply #634 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:40 AM »
I was 38. After 4.5 years of living in Indiana, hubby decided he wanted to go home. Then after 3 years of living in Blackburn, he decided he missed Indiana. Yesterday and today, with a snowstorm, overnight low of -17 (I forget the windchill) and a high today of -5 with a windchill of -37, he is questioning why we ever left the UK. I hope we
move back one day, but if not, all will be fine.

How old were you when you actually thought of other countries as real places, and not just vague names that seemed like they belonged in stories?

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #635 on: January 07, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »

How old were you when you actually thought of other countries as real places, and not just vague names that seemed like they belonged in stories?
That is a really interesting question!  I never thought about it quite that way before, but I think you're right--as a kid that's sort of how I visualized far away places and when you're a kid *everything* is far away!  I remember there were twins from England that moved here and went to my school (age 9 or so?) and they seemed fascinating to me, but England still didn't seem real. 

I remember reading about the troubles in Ireland when I was about 12, but still it seemed abstract.  I can't really pin-point when that changed.  Maybe when I was about 19 and was planning a trip to London.  I never did go as my friend chickened out of going and I wasn't going to go alone (not at that young age).

What three to five people, living or dead, would you love to have as dinner guests?
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #636 on: March 18, 2014, 01:06:13 AM »
we can re  word  that question i guess,,,,

how old were  you when you had  dinner guests  over and you hosted?

late 20s  when i finally moved out on my own

How old were you when you first went to an amusement park?
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

« Reply #637 on: March 18, 2014, 08:23:27 PM »
we can re  word  that question i guess,,,,

how old were  you when you had  dinner guests  over and you hosted?

Oh duh!  I forgot what game we were playing!
How old were you when you first went to an amusement park?
If you count an amusement pier at the seaside (haha!  'Down the shore', more like!) then very young--around two years old.
If you really mean something big like Great Adventure or Hershey Park then about 14. 

How old were you when you first experienced the death of a grandparent?
Married October 2007

« Reply #638 on: March 18, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »
I was 24 when I lost my first grandparent, my paternal grandpa. I will never forget how devastated I was. It was the same with the other three.

How old were you when you had your first serious relationship?

― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #639 on: March 19, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »
It's hard to say because even though I had boyfriends, I never took the relationships seriously (but they may have  :-[ )until my first husband at age 33.

How old were you when you first broke someone's heart?
Married October 2007

« Reply #640 on: March 19, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
I was 8 and in 3rd grade, and Steve had a crush on me since we were in kindergarten. When we had the Christmas gift exchange, he traded with 8 or 9 people until he finally got my name. Apparently the person who had my name didn't want the name he had, so he had to work for it. I still remember the necklace he bought, a heart shaped locket with an emerald.. well, green glass stone on it. He thought that would sway me, but at the time my heart belonged to Billy. He was heartbroken, but didn't give up on me til 5th grade.

How old were you when you first had your  heart broken?

― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #641 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:15 AM »
I was 8 and in 3rd grade, and Steve had a crush on me since we were in kindergarten. When we had the Christmas gift exchange, he traded with 8 or 9 people until he finally got my name. Apparently the person who had my name didn't want the name he had, so he had to work for it. I still remember the necklace he bought, a heart shaped locket with an emerald.. well, green glass stone on it. He thought that would sway me, but at the time my heart belonged to Billy. He was heartbroken, but didn't give up on me til 5th grade.

How old were you when you first had your  heart broken?
You started early!
Not counting crushes and high school type stuff (I never had a boyfriend or even dated in high school--my own choice) probably about 26, but he was a jerk, so it's just as well it didn't work out.

How old were you when you realized we only have a finite time on this earth and we need to get focused / get living our dream / get serious (or whatever)?

How old were you when
Married October 2007

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
« Reply #642 on: April 03, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
This is complicated! I'd say I have two answers: five years old and still haven't.  That is, I don't take life too seriously, but I've always been aware that we only have so much time and I don't want to waste it.  I try to live well every day, and make good choices.  We are saving for the future, and trying to change our careers, and save to move to the UK, and we want to travel a lot. I try not to let too much planning get in the way of 'RIGHT NOW', ya know?  The only thing you have guaranteed is right now.\

How old were you when you got your first pet?
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

« Reply #643 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:09 AM »
Of my own, three. I was given my very first kitten, and named her Dang It.  From what I have been told, it was funny hearing me call out to her to come to me.  ;D

How old were you when you first went into the doctor or dentist's office alone and the parent who took you waited in the waiting room?

― Dr. Seuss

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #644 on: October 05, 2016, 03:53:33 AM »
How old were you when you first went into the doctor or dentist's office alone and the parent who took you waited in the waiting room?

I think in my 20s when I had  health insurance

How old were you when you  got  your first piercing?
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab