Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I need to trim my photo?  (Read 1083 times)

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
Do I need to trim my photo?
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »
They gave me wallet size prints from the UPS Store...do I need to trim these down or do I just send them as they are?
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 0
Re: Do I need to trim my photo?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:27:44 PM »
Did you ask for passport photos? They should know what they are doing. In any case, it needs to be 2"x2". There's a link to all the rules-

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/articles_show_nt1.asp?a=41099

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »
Yeah. He gave them back to me in a little folder holder thing that says Instant Passport Photos that even has a little diagram inside of how big the photo should be.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »
Boy, you ARE a worrier  ;D I can relate. I think it's like, when so much feels like it's out of your control with the visa (ultimately their decision on your life!!) you grasp to have control over every bit of your application (the presentation is the part YOU have control over) until it's out of your hands.

No trimming necessary!
Di

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
Hehe. I should send a public apology to everyone I've asked these silly little questions to.

I usually save the worrying until I know something is wrong, but through this whole process it has simply magnified my worry-meter. I feel like every time I think I'm all set, I think of another question I should have asked.

Right now, I'm sitting in my apartment with my documents, minus ONE cover letter simply because things are out of my control again. My printer stopped working and I went to the library across the street to pay 20 cents a page to print some things. Lucky me! They're having a snake showing or something for the kids and refuse to turn on the computers. I called a fellow teacher friend I worked with this past year and she acted all skittish about me using her PC and suggested I try the local college library (it's a small town). I went there...but only 3 minutes before they closed (AT NOON!!). I tried the friend back and her phone is now ringing busy (I'm suspecting she took it off the hook).

It's just not my day and all I wanna do now is get rid of this stupid packet that's probably the cause of some unseen gray hair sprouts. UGH!

And just an added note...I do appreciate all the help people give on here. I'd go completely nutty if I didn't have this resource.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »
 ;D  I love reading about other people freaking out. I've been checking my email every 30 seconds for three days waiting to find out if my visa is approved.

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »
;D  I love reading about other people freaking out. I've been checking my email every 30 seconds for three days waiting to find out if my visa is approved.

You wanna know freaking out? Hehe.

How about how I invented a little game yesterday as I was waiting for my fiance's passport and documents from the UK to add to mine. My game was called: "Is that the sound of the FedEx truck?" I also kept refreshing the page with the tracking number so I knew exactly when it was coming.

In my own defense however, I did have a bad experience in the past with FedEx, so I was nervous. They managed to redeem themselves to me though. Hehe.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »

I've been checking my email every 30 seconds for three days
My game was called: "Is that the sound of the FedEx truck?"
;D You guys are cracking me up! I have also been compulsively hitting the refresh button on my email. I have to set goals for myself, like "after another cigarette/playing with the cat/taking a shower, I'm allowed to hit 'refresh' again."
It helps to know I'm not the only one!
Di

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:39:22 PM »
P.S. Just the title of the original post, in fact, is hilarious!

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »
Heh, yesterday I installed Google Earth so I could track my belongings as they are being shipped over to England. Tracking the progress of the ocean going vessel that is. I got at email this morning saying it has arrived at the port, so thats the end of that game.

;D

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
I am at work with this page open in a tiny little browser (easy to hide if somebody walks up) and am seriously crying because I am laughing so hard at this thread!   ;D  At least I know I haven't lost my laughter in all of this.  lol

I was just thinking that I was so worried about getting the mortgage letter that now that I know it has been sent I am freaking out even worse. That was me 'calm' as I had something to focus my nervous energy on.  Now I am trying to work and my stomach is churning thinking about "Wow, now what?".  I have to organize everything, get bank stuff together, write letters about each section (ie budget/proof of living together in a marriage for 8 years/etc..), talking DH into letting me use a courier... I think I want to go back when all I had to focus on was my MIL sending the documents.   :P

I also want to say thank you to everybody.. And seeing as how I am not going to be sending my Spousal stuff off until at least late next week at the earliest then you all have some more time to put up with my crazy questions that will come up at the last minute.  lol
11 Aug 00 - Married (Living in US)
25 Jul 08 - Spousal Visa w/ KOL Stamp Approved
01 Oct 08 - Arrived in the UK
05 Mar 09 - ILR Approved (In Person Appointment ~ Liverpool Office)

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »
Heh, yesterday I installed Google Earth so I could track my belongings as they are being shipped over to England. Tracking the progress of the ocean going vessel that is.

Epic, that one.

;D I believe this entire thread illustrates a uniquely American element of personality. I call it the "I Want My Ice Cream Cone" syndrome.

From what many of you have said, our British partners seem so laid back, a "we are a race that has endured far worse over the centuries and have learned to expect and accept every manner of setback, keeping our upper lips suitably stiff", a Monty Pythonish 'Look on the Bright Side of Life' type thing.

We Americans, though, are raised with the "When You Wish Upon A Star, Doesn't Matter Who You Are, Dreams Come True" faith (you guys know what I'm talkin bout, huh? Yeah.), believing that everyone, everywhere, deserves an Ice Cream Cone of Happiness!

Yes, I am aware that at this point professional help may exist for me in the foreseeable future  :D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »

;D I believe this entire thread illustrates a uniquely American element of personality. I call it the "I Want My Ice Cream Cone" syndrome.

From what many of you have said, our British partners seem so laid back, a "we are a race that has endured far worse over the centuries and have learned to expect and accept every manner of setback, keeping our upper lips suitably stiff", a Monty Pythonish 'Look on the Bright Side of Life' type thing.

We Americans, though, are raised with the "When You Wish Upon A Star, Doesn't Matter Who You Are, Dreams Come True" faith (you guys know what I'm talkin bout, huh? Yeah.), believing that everyone, everywhere, deserves an Ice Cream Cone of Happiness!

I am laughing on the floor at this one, because it sounds exactly like a conversation I had with my English friend living in the States.  Seriously, I had the same conversation. Hahaha
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »
We Americans, though, are raised with the "When You Wish Upon A Star, Doesn't Matter Who You Are, Dreams Come True" faith (you guys know what I'm talking bout, huh? Yeah.), believing that everyone, everywhere, deserves an Ice Cream Cone of Happiness!

I don't know about everybody deserving an Ice Cream of Happiness.. DH says for me it's "I want an Ice Cream Cone of Happiness and I want it NOW!"   ;D

I'm a pretty big control freak but it's usually manageable.  I actually took a Tums on my last work break! lol  And I haven't even mailed anything off yet.  Although I do think that I have convinced DH to let me use a courier.  I don't think he wants to see me not knowing for more than a few days.   ;D I'm thinking it won't be pretty.  However I am expecting this great wave of relief to roll over me after all of the paperwork is actually out of my hands.  I am expecting it to be like a ray of sunshine and for some sweet song to be playing in the background. HA! ......  Who am I kidding...  I'll probably be on the floor of the UPS/Fedex store curled up in the fetal position crying.   :P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:10:32 PM by ancmc »
11 Aug 00 - Married (Living in US)
25 Jul 08 - Spousal Visa w/ KOL Stamp Approved
01 Oct 08 - Arrived in the UK
05 Mar 09 - ILR Approved (In Person Appointment ~ Liverpool Office)

• My Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
We need a support group.

"Hi, my name is _______, and the Visa Wait Game made me neurotic."

Also, I just returned from the post office since their flat rate "overnight" was cheaper than UPS. When I spoke to the rep on the phone he told me as long as I got to the post office in my town before closing (I should have known better). I've been playing "headless chicken" all day with the abundance of STUPID in this little town trying just to print the stupid cover letter. I finally find a place and her computer acts up and takes is FORTY FIVE MINUTES to get into my e-mail and get the document to print it off. (I am NOT technologically challenged, at all -- she just had a SLOOOW "Robin Reliant-esque" PC on dial-up.)

I print my document and get to the post office as they're locking the door at 5. At this point I'm running slow-mo to the door saying "NoooooooOOoooOoo!" in an Ogre-like voice. The nice people inside pity me and let me in once my eyes well up like I'm going to break down. They tell me I am too late for overnight service, but they can do Next Day and get it there for Saturday (I hope they're open Saturday). I go to put my documents in the flat rate envelope (just the documents stuffed inside the divider pockets -- I decided against the binder) and they're literally JUST big enough to NOT fit....so what did I do? Yep. I CHUCKED the dividers and crammed that stuff in the flat rate envelope. I told the postal worker I would MAKE IT FIT and sit on it if necessary. And I did.

I don't even remember filling out the addressee slip -- it's all a blur. Now as I sit and look at it...I forgot to put 10th Floor on the address for the NY British Consulate. Oh well, I've exhausted my worry-meter for the day. I physically can't give any more today.

Glad I could start something to bring others joy in their similar states of madness.  ;D
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed

Sponsored Links