Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Alternative to turkey dinner?  (Read 1114 times)

• Liked: 24
Alternative to turkey dinner?
« on: December 17, 2002, 12:43:58 PM »
My husband went on a diet a few months ago, and cut all meats from his intake except fish. Now I have to do a nice Christmas dinner, turkey for me and the family, but I'm unsure of where to start for him, I'll obviously have the veggies covered, but what can I substitute for turkey, meat gravy, and stuffing?  ??? Any ideas, I know there are some vegetarians here.... help!!

Re: Alternative to turkey dinner?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 02:17:02 PM »
This Christmas Croute recipe is better than turkey. Everyone loves it. It is delicious. You can do it in advance as well, freeze it and just cook it on the day...
Susan
CHRISTMAS CROUTE

Gas 7
425 F
220 C

Ingredients

1 large onion finely chopped
2 oz butter
1 lb grated carrots (food processor very useful here)
1 lb sliced mushrooms
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbs tomato puree or paste
350 g can whole peeled chestnuts
8 oz cream cheese
3 Tbs chopped parsley
salt/pepper
1 lb 2 oz packet puff pastry
beaten eggs

What to Do

1.      Cook onion in butter.
2.      Add carrots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme.
3.      Cook until there is no free liquid (about 10 minutes).
4.      Cool.
5.      Add puree, chestnuts, cheese, parsley.
6.      Season.
7.      Roll pastry into rectangle 18 in; x 15 in 8.      Pile mixture into centre.
9.      Cut pastry in strips on both sides and wrap over alternately like your doing plaits or braids.
10.      Freeze until needed.
11.      Brush with egg.
12.      Bake at gas 7 (or 425 F or 220 C) for 40 minutes or until golden.
13.      Cut into slices about 1 in; thick.

This is good hot or cold. Can pour gravy over it too.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 02:18:06 PM by susan_in_redruth »

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 02:36:57 PM »
That sounds delicious Susan, thanks...think I will try it myself.

Wish I could help you Leah...  Still eat my meat...  although in smaller quantities.  If I come across any good meatless holiday dishes I will certainly share.

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 03:18:56 PM »
Does your husband do quorn?  They have got a nice roast, that I find quite tasty.  As for the gravy, I have several friends who are vegitarian and know they have a hard time with this one. I think you can find gravy granuals (sp?) at the store with a vegetable base rather than meat byproducts, but it can be quite tricky.  Good Luck!
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 03:35:02 PM »
That sounds good Susan, I might give that a try.

Hubby tried quorn once, and didn't think much of it. Actually I think he smelled it and that was it for him, the kids and I had to eat it. ::)

I've used the Bisto veggie gravy granules with oxo veggie stock cubes to make gravy/sauces such as for the Vegetarian "Cottage" Pie I do for him, I've had good luck with that. Hopefully the plain gravy will turn out as good.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 03:46:15 PM »
Leah, here is an alternative for making stuffing... I forgot that I had my recipe folder on work computer also.  I made it last year for a christmas dinner party...  you can substitute the mayo for lite mayo if needed...  and a lite sredded cheese...  but actually their quantities do not make for a bad nutrition of a dish.  

sorry, I do not know the conversions yet for England to state here

broccoli and stuffing casserole

2 pounds fresh broccoli florets
2 eggs, beaten
1 onion, chopped
1 (10.75 ounce) can  condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2-cup mayonnaise
10 ounces dry bread-stuffing mix
1/2-cup butter, melted
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions        
1      Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13
inch baking dish.
2      Cook broccoli in a large pot of salted boiling water until just
slightly tender. Drain.
3      In a large bowl, combine eggs, onion, mushroom soup and mayonnaise.
4      Place a layer of broccoli in the prepared baking dish. Pour mayonnaise
sauce over broccoli. Spread stuffing mix over the sauce. Drizzle butter
or margarine over all and top with shredded cheese.
5      Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 12:05:21 AM »
Leah,

I know there are nut roasts out there and someone's already mentioned Quorn.  I've never really had a need for a substitute per se.  Whenever I would go for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner there was plenty of food, i.e., stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, rolls, etc. etc.  I just would load up on side dishes.  It's what most end up filling up on more so than turkey anyway I find.  I always tell people not to make much of a fuss over my diet because I will always find food to eat.  Don't know if that's much help to you or not, my dear.  Best of luck!

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2002, 11:28:50 AM »
Mfrederika  that sounds delicious! I could have done with that on Sunday!! I'll definitely keep this for next time I'm wondering what to do with broccoli!!!
Leah! we find that quorn works fine with stronger and spicier recipes, like for spaghetti bolognaise and also chilli and curries your hubby wouldn't know the difference.....
Susan

• having one of those days...
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2002, 11:55:51 AM »
mfredericka, that sounds delicious!!  i've had broccoli supreme that sounds like your recipe, but i'll have to try it with the stuffing!!

leah, i don't have the recipe (i will post if i find it) but a friend once made a 'salmon wellington' with i think it was cream cheese and dill wrapped inside.  yummy! i think there was shrimp in there too but could probably omit it.

once in awhile at home we'd substitute food like grilled swordfish or tuna with pineapple salsa.  add some steamed white rice and maybe fried tofu (slices of firm tofu rolled in a 1/2 flour, 1/2 cornstarch blend with salt and pepper, then pan-fried in oil, comes out sort of tempura-like) with soy sauce, and that would be great for me!  not quite turkey or ham, but might fit your bill.

good luck!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

Sponsored Links