Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Your Favorite Book(s) of all time  (Read 48417 times)

Your Favorite Book(s) of all time
« on: May 14, 2004, 03:07:38 PM »
Just wondering...since the book club seems kinda sporadic (but still a great idea, if I may say so)...maybe we could have a list here of everyoe's favorite books, to encourage us to try things we might not ordinarily read, and discuss them with the person whose favorite it is.

Example:  My favorite novel is The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk.  It;s a WWII novel, about how a spoiled, priveleged boy becomes a man.  Lots of action, drama, romance.  Add a fantastic villain in Commander Queeg, and there you go.  I first read it at 17, for my English class, and realized three hours after I started that I had barely breathed since starting it.  I've read it at least once or twice a year since.

Anyone interested in reading this one?

What's your favorite book, and why?  I'm always looking for new things to read!

• Liked: 1
Re: Your Favorite Book(s) of all time
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 03:11:07 PM »
I love American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.  It shocks people that i like it so much since it's full of degrading things, murder and gore but i think his writing is brilliant and really lets you get into the character, Patrick Bateman.  It reminds me of the 80's where everything was about materialism (and still is) but the smallest things like who has the better businesscard really are wonderful touches.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 03:18:41 PM »
OMG, this is like my favorite Subject!  My book is The Alienist by Caleb Carr.  It's set in late 1800's early 1900's NYC, it's pretty gruesome murder mystery (I usually hate those!) that just captures you.  My copy is so worn, I've loaned to everyone I know!  I even bought a new one at Oxfam and loaned it out.  People thank me afterwards!

It's full of degrading things, murder and gore but i think his writing is brilliant and really lets you get into the character, Patrick Bateman.  It reminds me of the 80's where everything was about materialism (and still is) but the smallest things like who has the better businesscard really are wonderful touches.

Ohh, that sounds great!  I think I've read something else he wrote!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 03:24:05 PM »
OMG, this is like my favorite Subject!  My book is The Alienist by Caleb Carr. 

Wow!  I LOVE that book!  I bet I've read it a dozen times.  :-)

My all-time fave is "Of Human Bondage" by W. Somerset Maugham.  It's about an orphan w/ a club-foot who falls in love with a total wench who takes him for granted.  Long and wordy, but really really good!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 03:30:16 PM by lolabola »

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 03:34:17 PM »
OMG, this is like my favorite Subject!  My book is The Alienist by Caleb Carr. 

I just realized I sounded like a Valley Girl there  ;D  Oh well!

I'm going to re-read The Alienist soon!  I've been waiting.

I'm also starting a list of all the books people recommend here, cause I LOVE to read!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 07:02:07 PM »
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is an all time fav as well as The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.  Of those books though, have to say that The Vampire Lestat is my most favourite amongst them.

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 07:46:49 PM »
My current favorite is The Sacred Art of Stealing by Christopher Brookmyre.  I had read all of his other books and enjoyed them a lot, but this one is flat out fantastic!  It's loaded with action and believable (and totally unexpected) plot twists, local Glasgow color, and a quirky romance.  I'd love to discuss it.
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 08:19:10 PM »
My all time fave is The Great Gatsby by FScott Fitzgerald but I have to confess that while doing a PhD, I need escapist books. Hence, I can highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Even my purist English teacher grandmother couldn't put them down.

The premise is an English nurse goes back in time (yes, I know, corny) and falls in love with a young Scottish man. Their adventures are amazing and the historical research is quite impressive. I can't recommend this enough.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 08:26:35 PM »
My all time fave is The Great Gatsby by FScott Fitzgerald but I have to confess that while doing a PhD, I need escapist books. Hence, I can highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Even my purist English teacher grandmother couldn't put them down.

The premise is an English nurse goes back in time (yes, I know, corny) and falls in love with a young Scottish man. Their adventures are amazing and the historical research is quite impressive. I can't recommend this enough.

Everyone of my girlfriends in England LOVES that book!  I have a copy of it I need to read.  I think it's called Cross Stitch though in the UK.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 11:04:40 PM »
  I have so many different faves ones that it be hard for me to decide !

I will name two books that touched me very much on a personal level,and the only two that I ever  :\\\'(  while reading them

Katherine by Anya Seton

The Mists Of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

• Why a duck?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 03:04:03 AM »
Rhia,

I cried at the end of The Mists of Avalon.  I didn't want it to end!  Have you read the prequels?
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 03:13:34 AM »
Milan Kundera and his The Unbearable Lightness of Being is one of my all time favs  as is Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 05:45:49 AM »
Ok, DF knows this already.  I've told him a million times, so if he reads this I can imagine the ::), but my favourite book of all time is Fortunes Rocks by Anita Shreve.  I don't know anyone else who has read it, so I don't know how other people feel about it, but some books just grab you, this one did just that.
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lovers arms can only come later when you are sure they wont laugh if you trip." - Jonathan Carroll, "Outside the Dog Museum" - From an e-card I sent Craig when I was 14
6 ½ years later... :D

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 09:14:46 AM »
Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins
Atlas Shrugged, We the Living, Anthem and The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
The Olivia Clemmens series by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 03:21:17 PM »
Rhia,

I cried at the end of The Mists of Avalon.  I didn't want it to end!  Have you read the prequels?

Are you talking about Lady Of Avalon and Priestess Of Avalon? I have them both,I just havent read them yet. I love Miss Bradley's writings.It is so sad that she passed away :\\\'( :-\\\\

Sponsored Links