Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Your Favorite Book(s) of all time  (Read 48413 times)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
Re: Your Favorite Book(s) of all time
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 09:20:43 PM »
I am a book junkie.   ::)  I think I would have some sort of attack if I tried to narrow it down to one book!  :o

That said, I really enjoyed the Dorsai books growing up, as well as Lois McMaster Bujold, Anne McCaffrey, Spider Robinson, and um, others.  :P

I'm crap with names.  :(

I'll try to be more specific at a later date.
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 01:59:10 PM »
I am a book junkie.     I think I would have some sort of attack if I tried to narrow it down to one book! 

Oh Iam the same way hon :) ;) :D

Hello my name is Rhia,and Iam a bookalcoholic

sums it up for me!LOL

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 08:53:28 PM »
Just finished "Angels and demons - Dan Brown" It was one of the best books I've read :) Now reading "The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown".  It's possible that I'm gonna have to read everything he's written, if they're all as good as these two books they'll be really damn good books too.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 09:08:22 AM »
My favorite is The Celestine Prophacy hands down... it is a fiction that reads like a non-fiction... although I am all keen on reading Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code as soon as I can get them.
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 08:27:07 PM »
This is great, I have so many new books to put on my list now!

Other faves of mine:

Gone With The Wind-Margaret Mitchell.  I once heard that if you haven't read this book, you cannot call yourself a truly educated person.

Marjorie Morningstar-Herman Wouk.  My other Wouk book.  All girls should read it.

Presumed Innocent-Scott Turow.  The court scenes in this book blow me away

The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey.  Of course!

Also, anything by:

Florence King

Sharon Kay Penman

Angela Huth

Maeve Binchy (light reading)

Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters (light reading)

Alan Moore (yes, graphic novels)

And for non-fiction, I really enjoyed:

What Our Mothers Never Told Us, by Danielle Crittenden

The Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody, by Charles Panati

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew, which is under my bed right now and I'm too lazy to find it so I'll add the correct author later

The Burden of Bad Ideas, by Heather MacDonald

The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin', by Bill Zehme. 

And anything by Miss Manners, whose books I have all of.

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 09:02:25 AM »
Like Wench, I'm a huge book junkie. Can't get enough of them! My careers and my hobbies all seem to center around my love for them! I can think of the books I've read throughout my life  that have made huge impressions on me and made me the reader I am today, though- and many of them are kids books or books on medieval history.   I can't wait to ship my collection over from the US! Some of my favourite books are;

*Kids books*

Whose Mouse are you? by Robert Kraus
 Thy Friend Obadiah by Brinton Turkle
Tale of Mrs Tiggywinkle by Beatrix Potter
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Trixie Belden Mysteries!! by Kathryn Kenny (a group of inhouse writers)
Anne of Green Gables (and the whole Anne Series) by L.M. Montgomery
A Figure of Speech by Norma Fox Mazer
Language of Goldfish by Zibby O'Neal
Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graeme

*Adult*

How Green Was My Valley by Robert llewellyn
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Mister God, This is Anna by Fynn
Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
The Heart and Stomach of a King : Elizabeth I and the Politics of Sex and Power  by Carole Levin
Medieval  Children by Nicholas Orme
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Ok- just realized that I could go on for pages. I'll stop now hehe

This is fun! Whee! hehe
Jen

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 10:22:56 AM »
Trixie Belden!  OMG!  Did you read the Bobsey Twins, too?!

And I need to add To Kill a Mockingbird - one of the few books-turned-movie that I like in both forms.  Gone with the Wind is another. 

My poor husband - everytime he asks me if I've seen a movie, 7 out of 10 times my answer is "No, but I've read the book..."   ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 10:40:08 AM »
Trixie Belden!  OMG! 

OMG! OMG! OMG! I loved those books!!!!!! I had to beg my mother to buy them all the time because I read them so fast!  ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2004, 10:49:11 AM »

OMG! OMG! OMG! I loved those books!!!!!! I had to beg my mother to buy them all the time because I read them so fast!  ;D

I believe I owned every book!! The sad story is that at some point after I moved out, my Mom cleaned out the closet and sold them all in a yard sale!  :o I was gutted and she felt so badly about not asking me first...when we looked online to replace them the series  had already become collector's items! GASP Needless to say I wasn't able to pay those prices hehe

Trixie Belden!  OMG!  Did you read the Bobsey Twins, too?!

I didn't read the Bobsey Twins actually- but I did read some of Nancy Drew and ALL of The Hardy Boys! (I preferred the HB as the storylines didn't get wrapped up in descriptions of how fashion conscious, composed and confident they were. Things I wasn't as a teenager LOL)

Ahhhh I love kids books  :D

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2004, 10:51:44 AM »
I still have most of my original Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys books - the hardback ones.  I have 1 original Trixie Belden that has seen better days.  ::)

I know what you mean about the price of our childhood books.  Just out of curiousity I checked on eBay for "Jellybeans for Breakfast" - one of my favourite books as a kid and one we still have.  It was up to $100!!!  I couldn't believe it.  I brought the book back over with me on my last trip!   ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 12:41:56 PM »

And I need to add To Kill a Mockingbird - one of the few books-turned-movie that I like in both forms.

Very True!  You made me think of another great book "Go Tell It On The Mountain. Here is a link about  it http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679601546/104-9814941-3157562?v=glance

• Banned

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 05:45:40 PM »

Like most people posting here I am a book junkie. so much so that I can't see reading the same book over and over again (There are so many more out there!). There is one noteable exception to this; Devil in a blue dress, by Walter Mosely

deceptivly simple story line, a very easy read. Clean storyline and simple charachterizations; Reads like a John Steinbeck novel or the Maltese Falcon and other sort of pulp novels it was modeled after.

The book brings you into its paranoid world right away, where the protagonist can clearly trust no one. Race and class are clear themes of this book, but not so as to knock you over the head with theory or even metion it outright. I'm not even sure the author included these themes intentionaly; and that's what makes the book great. This story is all about mood and feeling, which it does very well.

I hope this doesnt sound too much like a class report! I just love the book and have reread it over and over and would recomend it to anyone.

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2004, 06:47:15 PM »
I don't usually like to read the same book over and over either but one I have read several times and always makes a profund impression on me is Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain, an autobiographical account of World War I.  I recommend it to everyone.

I also love to re-read my childhood favourites - the Anne books by L. M Montgomery.

Scoobie, interesting that the author of your favourite book shares a surname with Oswald Mosely !! (founder of the British Union of Facists) - any relation do you think??

• Banned

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2004, 07:30:12 PM »
Scoobie, interesting that the author of your favourite book shares a surname with Oswald Mosely !! (founder of the British Union of Facists) - any relation do you think??
[/quote
]

Walter Mosely is a Black American, so I don't think so......

You think I would have anything to do with the BNP? The British Nazi Party!  Are you mad? That is deeply insulting.

Not even a bit funny  :( ???

« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 07:32:44 PM by Scoobie »

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2004, 07:41:08 PM »
Scoobie, I think you missed the point of my comment which was IRONY! Personally, I am not in the habit of insulting other forum members (not deliberately anyway!).  :)

ps you might find "Black Looks" by bell hooks a good read, if you haven't read it already.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 07:43:31 PM by Britwife »

Sponsored Links