Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?  (Read 14970 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »
Mr. A bought me a really nice stovetop moka pot before I came over, and it came with me in my suitcase

I bought one a few years ago for 50p at a car boot sale. Best purchase ever!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »
Have you tried a french press? Dh got me a 2 cup FP for xmas and I love it! It was only £1 at Wollies just before they closed. But I know you can get a cheap one at Walgreens, RiteAid or CVS in the states.

Sorry, I just saw this! I haven't tried the french press before. Does it use espresso coffee or regular? I've had it made for me, just never made it myself.

Of course the craziest coffee I had was living in Paris with a Lebanese family in college! She just put the grind and water in the metal pot on the stove and it boiled all day long. If it got cold, she just put it back on the stove! Talk about crazy strong! lol I did acquire a taste for it, though, since she loved to sit with me when I came home from class and have a coffee!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »
I use a regular grind. If you use espresso grind it just goes right through the press screen. I love strong bold blends like Mocha Java or Sumatra, but right now I'm using the House Blend Starbucks grind which is a medium and I'm using two scoops of coffee and letting it steep for about 3 minutes before pressing.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
I use a regular grind. If you use espresso grind it just goes right through the press screen. I love strong bold blends like Mocha Java or Sumatra, but right now I'm using the House Blend Starbucks grind which is a medium and I'm using two scoops of coffee and letting it steep for about 3 minutes before pressing.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for one. My brother actually works at Walgreens and get all kinds of special employee coupons, so next time he does I might get one then! :)
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »
Starbucks is getting on my nerves for discontinuing or changing the recipe for the baked goods my husband likes to eat when we go out for coffee.  This means he wants tasty sweet snacks in the house, which I hate having around because I have zero willpower.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2009, 11:27:48 PM »
I don't - I really like Starbucks!

Apart from their prices - they are expensive!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Banned

• Liked: 0
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »
I love Starbucks.
Good service, decent drinks...chill atmosphere.
You get what you actually pay for
and I know I am subsidizing commercialized farming.
At least I know they treat their employees ok. (first hand exp. while in college)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2009, 03:27:06 AM »
I'm starting to like starbucks a little. There is one near where I live, in a bookstore, and they have Cheesecake Factory cheesecake.

And while I don't really like coffee and I think starbucks is overpriced. I am addicted to can be won over with books and Cheesecake Factory cheesecake.  :)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2009, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm starting to like starbucks a little. There is one near where I live, in a bookstore, and they have Cheesecake Factory cheesecake.

And while I don't really like coffee and I think starbucks is overpriced. I am addicted to can be won over with books and Cheesecake Factory cheesecake.  :)

The Barnes & Noble near me has a Starbucks in it that sells Cheesecake Factory cheesecake too. Last time I was in there, I had a slice of the Godiva chocolate cheesecake and ohmygod it was sooo good...rich but good. :P I couldn't finish the entire piece but it's great for sharing.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »
We like our local Starbucks, especially when the "Rabbit Lady" is behind the counter (she rescues house rabbits).  She always enquires after DH when he is not in residence.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »
After going to Starbucks now for about a year, I can say that I was wrong to avoid them for years and years.  The staff at the two that we go to the most frequently are pretty stable, while the other coffee places had a huge turnover.  They have good service at the places we go to, and both my husband and I have been given promotions the past few months for free coffee.  The current one gives us free coffee every day until the end of April.  The staff knows our drinks which is more than I can say for the other place we went as frequently to for the first 6 or so months I was here.

Sure, the coffee isn't exactly the stuff I like.  I can make much better at home (I am not a huge fan of espresso based drinks, but I love my Moka pot).  But I've not sat down at any café here and really enjoyed the coffee.  We go to a café to get out of the house and to relax without going to a pub or out for food after Mr. A. gets done with work.

It's kind of weird how much I hated Starbucks even a couple years ago (mainly because of their predatory store openings near independent cafés).  If you told me a year and a half ago that I'd be going to Starbucks 5 or so days a week, I'd laugh.

Sponsored Links