Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: should you be able to vote in UK elections  (Read 3961 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: should you be able to vote in UK elections
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2003, 11:37:54 PM »
Peaches  ===   Irish ,  that is people from Eire with an Irish passport and citzenship and who live and work in the UK are entitle to the same voting rights as English, Welsh and Scots.
The have 100% equality in all things..

Well slap my hand!  My hubby has just checked out the government website and you were right!!!  I stand corrected!
In the event of an emergency, put your head between your knees and kiss your butt goodbye!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2003, 03:28:58 AM »
Hey Peaches,  no sweat.  It was part of the agreement when Ireland was split back in 1920 ?  The reason I know of this little law is by drinking in Irish pubs in London and the fact that my wife's 1st husband was Irish.
So if you slap your hand, just do it metaphoricaly.
In the meantime, welcome to Crazy Island
Married with a daughter of 21 years.  Former film/video tape editor, now retired. London born and bred.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2003, 04:29:27 PM »
To me, it only makes sense that a person should be a citizen to vote. I wouldn't want non-citizens voting in the US. Here in Sweden we residents are allowed to vote in the local elections, just not the national ones.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Edmund Burke
www.lostinsweden.com

• What's YaBB 1G - SP1?
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2003, 04:02:06 AM »
Glenda Jackson for Chancellor!

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2003, 11:31:27 AM »
Here in Sweden we residents are allowed to vote in the local elections, just not the national ones.

I believe there may be some places in the USA that do the same.  Takoma Park, Maryland, a "Bierkenstock suburb" of Washington, D.C., was toying with the idea of non-citizens being allowed to vote on local issues when I moved away in 1991.

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2003, 02:35:20 PM »
If the world is really getting smaller, if we're just a "Global Village" then what better way for everyone to be represented than to have free elections? Ok, to be honest, I'm not sure if I even agree with  that, but it is evocative, I think. If anyone could vote anywhere wouldn't resources, power, etc even out? I understand that's an extremely Utopian view, but an interesting concept.

Michelle

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2003, 08:07:31 PM »
Chelle,  you are utopian, but right.  A Chinese friend of mine, who just manages to stay out of jail for speaking his mind, says that the true test of human rights is when there are no passports and anyone can live anywhere.  That would force governments to court us, we the people.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab