Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: HELP - Wondering if I can apply for a Dual Citizenship  (Read 1010 times)

• Liked: 0
HELP - Wondering if I can apply for a Dual Citizenship
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:56:50 PM »
I'm trying to find out if I can apply for a Dual Citizenship (US/UK) I know there are a bunch of new rules that just passed. My mother is British she met my father (american) and married him 1961. She became a US citizen in 1970. I was born in 1973. Is there any way for me to apply? I would love to get it but not sure if the new laws will allow me to now. I also heard I can't apply based on my grandfather or grandmother who were also British.

If anyone can help me I would be so excited!!!

Re: HELP - Wondering if I can apply for a Dual Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:15:58 AM »
You can't actually apply for dual citizenship, but you can hold citizenship of more than one country. 

To find out more about registering as a British citizen through your mother, check out this link:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/britishmother/

The laws have changed in the past few years, but probably more in your favour than against it.  Good luck, and congratulations!  Let us know if you have any questions about the information in the link...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »
Let me say this a different way. You apply for citizenship of your new country and when you get it you then have an additional citizenship in addition to your original citizenship.

I don't know if this applies to all countries.

You can lose your new citizenship if you return to the country of your original citizenship for an extended time.

I hope this helps.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »

You can lose your new citizenship if you return to the country of your original citizenship for an extended time.

Unless they've just changed something drastically just recently, this does not apply to citizenship of the US or citizenship of the UK, although you can lose UK Indefinite Leave to Remain if you leave the UK for an extended time. 
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

Sponsored Links