Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wedding dress shop etiquette  (Read 6923 times)

• Liked: 3
Wedding dress shop etiquette
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »
I have found a line of wedding dresses that I really like. The line is sold in the UK and the US. Is it appropriate for me to go to a shop in the UK to try on the dresses and such, then order it from a store in the US? Should I be up front with them or just do it all sneaky? I would feel bad being sneaky by the way. I just remember shopping with a friend of mine and the competition between stores is fierce! I don't mind buying the dress here, but there's a huge difference between paying $1000 for a dress and 1000 pounds! Also, I'll be leaving the UK about 2 months before the wedding, so I'm not sure what that means for final alterations.

[smiley=help.gif]

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Wedding dress shop etiquette
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:57:01 AM »
Ummm, hello? Do you have something to tell me??!!!!! ;D

I didn't look at wedding dresses in the UK at all simply because I wanted my Mom and friends with me when I did it. But, there is nothing at all wrong with going into the shops and trying them on, trying others on and taking it from there.

If you're going to be leaving the UK that far before the wedding, I'd think you'd have to order from the US.

I guess I'd just go in and be totally upfront. Tell them there's no way you can order from a UK shop, but if you could come around at a non-busy time and try things on and get measured, you'd really appreciate it. Just turn on the charm if you can!

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »
Honestly, it's totally fine to try on the dress at a store in the UK and then buy it in the US (or online- I got my dress on eBay!)  I don't really think it's necessary to tell the salesperson your plans, but that's just me.

As for alterations- if you're going to be in the states 2 months before the wedding, that's plenty of time for alterations.  I'm 2 months out from our wedding in the States and I'm just now getting around to alterations- the wedding is October 18 and I'm taking in my dress to the alteration shop on September 2 (they said it should take about 3 weeks to turn it around.)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:07:11 AM »
I haven't started dress shopping yet, but I'll be buying mine in the UK. However, I certainly plan to try on a lot of dresses at a lot of shops before choosing and buying one. I don't think shops expect you to buy from them just because you've tried things on there - they may hope you will, but that's about all they can do.

Have fun!  :D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »
Ha! Well, I've been keeping it on the down low until the ring was produced, but screw that! I have to plan! We're booking the venue this week (which we toured when we were in the US in July) and we've told our parents and such. I didn't really want to make a huge announcement until I at least told them!

I would really prefer to have my mom and close friends around when I'm trying them on, but I don't think that's going to be an option, unfortunately. I'll ask my close friends here if they'll come with me!  :D

That's a good idea about letting them know up front and just ask if they can fit me whenever.

Thanks C!

Just saw your post, Springhaze. Thanks for the info on alteration time lines. The thing is I'm leaving the UK 2 months before the wedding, but I'll stop in Ireland before going to the US. That means I won't be in the US until about a month before the wedding. Hmmmm....I guess I'll need to be in touch with the shop in the US and see if that's even possible.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 11:12:59 AM »
I haven't started dress shopping yet, but I'll be buying mine in the UK. However, I certainly plan to try on a lot of dresses at a lot of shops before choosing and buying one. I don't think shops expect you to buy from them just because you've tried things on there - they may hope you will, but that's about all they can do.

Have fun!  :D

Well, if you're thinking about a Caroline Castigliano you better start now! I stopped in there yesterday just to get some advice and such. She said with my wedding date in April it would be pushing it to get the dress finished in time. Fortunately with the price of the dresses (which are GORGEOUS!) and my budget (which is NOT GORGEOUS!) this isn't a decision I need to make! Ha! 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 11:17:23 AM »
Well, if you're thinking about a Caroline Castigliano you better start now! I stopped in there yesterday just to get some advice and such. She said with my wedding date in April it would be pushing it to get the dress finished in time. Fortunately with the price of the dresses (which are GORGEOUS!) and my budget (which is NOT GORGEOUS!) this isn't a decision I need to make! Ha! 

I have my heart set on a Stephanie Allin! I have an appointment for next month at her showroom ... a good nine months ahead of time!  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 11:27:31 AM »
I have my heart set on a Stephanie Allin! I have an appointment for next month at her showroom ... a good nine months ahead of time!  ;D

They're gorgeous!!! Have fun!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 11:39:39 AM »
to be honest i don't see any reason to discuss the details with the shop. I went to a couple places to look around and didn't feel the least bit obligated to explain that i was looking around. I would think they would just expect that you're going to be shopping around a bit...

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »
A coworker of mine was recently part of a wedding party, and when they were shopping for dresses some of the shops charged for trying on dresses. So you lost money if you didn't buy the dress there.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:45:22 AM »
A coworker of mine was recently part of a wedding party, and when they were shopping for dresses some of the shops charged for trying on dresses. So you lost money if you didn't buy the dress there.

Yeah, I think it's just gonna depend upon the shop, how busy they are, how snooty (;)) they are, etc.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »
i'm doing the exact same thing- i'm trying on dresses here in the UK- and will be buying in the US-online.  1/2 to 2/3 price.  i gotta save where i can!
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 08:23:21 PM »
I went to a shop last weekend and found one that I loved (the first one I tried on, of course)! I'll be able to get it in the US for about half the price of the dress here. But I feel bad. The women at the shop were really nice! I tried not to make too much eye contact and not to get too involved with them! Ha! I'd like to go back and show it to another friend of mine, but I think I feel way too guilty.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
There is no need at all to tell them your plans.  You are looking for a dress and need to try some on.  It really isn't any different just because you are planning on buying it in the states.  Its part of the industry.  Any dress shop that charges to try the dress on is a rip-off and not worth it, It doesn't matter who they carry.

Unless there is a big reason (availability, custom made etc) to buy it here and take it to the US, my advice would be get it in the states.  Once you have the dress you like, call up a shop in the states that you can order it directly from so its there by the time you get there, and then you make the alterations you need. 2 months is enough time.  Don't wait until you are in the states to then buy it...that's just a gamble.

As someone who purchased my dress in the states and flew with it (and three bags) on my own to the UK....i was a nervous wreck with the dress.  It wasn't handled very nicely by some people and then i had to get it re-pressed.  Not to mention I bought the dress in Boston and my friend picked it up for me (no alterations were needed but I wanted a bustle) and then there was a gauntlet of passing my dress to several people to get to me in NY!  It was just a stress I didn't need.  Then again, I was traveling by myself.

Best of luck!  

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:14:21 PM by Sheriam »

• Can we not do a transatlantic move in 12 months?
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
i'm doing the exact same thing- i'm trying on dresses here in the UK- and will be buying in the US-online.  1/2 to 2/3 price.  i gotta save where i can!

This is so true!! My fiance did this with my engagement ring from Tiffany & Co. He was able to get a much nicer ring, for much less of the price AND the VAT back!

Job Change / Back to UK: June 2015
UK Settlement Visa Application Online: June 1, 2015
Biometrics: June 18, 2015
Application Mailed to Sheffield: June 24, 2015
Application Returned because of Name Error...2 weeks later!
Application Re-Mailed to Sheffield: July 6, 2015
Application Arrived at Sheffield: July 9, 2015
Application Acknowledged: July 12, 2015
Priority Upgrade: July 29, 2015
Sheffield ICO Email Requesting More documentation: August 6
August 11th - Currently Processing
August 27th - Decision Made! Tracking info sent!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab