Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wedding dress shop etiquette  (Read 6920 times)

• Liked: 6
Re: Wedding dress shop etiquette
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
This is so true!! My fiance did this with my engagement ring from Tiffany & Co. He was able to get a much nicer ring, for much less of the price AND the VAT back!

This thread is 5 years old.

• Can we not do a transatlantic move in 12 months?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »
Excuse me....I thought it was helpful and still quite a relevant topic...(I'm going wedding dress shopping today) so I appreciated the etiquette insight.... [smiley=oops.gif]
Job Change / Back to UK: June 2015
UK Settlement Visa Application Online: June 1, 2015
Biometrics: June 18, 2015
Application Mailed to Sheffield: June 24, 2015
Application Returned because of Name Error...2 weeks later!
Application Re-Mailed to Sheffield: July 6, 2015
Application Arrived at Sheffield: July 9, 2015
Application Acknowledged: July 12, 2015
Priority Upgrade: July 29, 2015
Sheffield ICO Email Requesting More documentation: August 6
August 11th - Currently Processing
August 27th - Decision Made! Tracking info sent!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Wedding dress shopping is one thing that never changes with the times, so this thread is still completely relevant!  ;D

Oh, and just as an update, I ended up getting my dress in the UK. I found one that was a really good price and looked awesome, so I went with it!

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »
Thanks so much for posting this thread, glad I caught it before shopping today! I was able to buy my dress at an amazing price today at Solitaire Brides in Radstock.

What a deal they gave me! (The owner and her mother were so very kind!) I think they may have felt sorry for me since I was alone and not able to have my mother (this was by design, mind you!).

I walked out with an "Off the Rack" Diane Harbridge "Jessica" lace dress (that fits me like a glove, no alterations needed) from the upcoming 2014 Autumn collection for a steal (<GBP600)...I'm floored, and glad I jumped on it when I did. Hooray!!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
That's really pretty!  Congrats on your upcoming nuptials.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 09:40:03 PM »
Beautiful dress! Congrats!

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 07:40:41 AM »
I'd like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to good Wedding Dress Shops in the UK.  A little shop in Nuneaton really came through for me THE DAY BEFORE MY WEDDING when my custom made dress was held up in Customs [my mother was supposed to come and bring it, but my Nana fell ill and almost died, so obviously she didn't make it]. 

We had to leave town by 2pm to head up to Scarborough to greet guests arriving at the hotel, and after spending the entire morning on the phone with Royal Mail and then finding out there was no way I could physically go in and get it [even though it had arrived], I went to the little shop in hysterical tears with my husband and his mate and I think my Mother in Law.

Obviously, I had maybe an hour or less to find a perfect dress, and it had to fit as is. I was fully prepared to be sitting up all night altering it myself on the eve of my wedding, and my MIL was on the mobile calling around to see who we knew in Yorkshire with a sewing machine.

It was an Autumn Wedding, so first I tried on about 10 long sleeved dresses, most which looked similar to what I had designed.  There were maybe two that looked good, but my favorite was like a size 20 or something, and at the time I was about a 14, so that was out.  Then the sales lady said, 'Well, you know, over in the clearance section we have some out of season dresses.  I know you said your wedding was going to be outside, so I don't know how we'll keep you warm, but maybe you can try on a few?'

So off I go to the clearance, but dresses in or near my size were far and few between. Some, overly bedazzled, and others just plain not my style.  Finally, someone pulled a sleeveless number off the rack [honestly, i can't remember who, there were at least four people looking besides me], and said, 'This is PERFECT'.  I didn't think so, but I gave in and tried it on.  Fit like a GLOVE. Exactly right in the chest, waist, and length.  And it was gorgeous. It suited my shoes [ballet flats, thank god, because if I'd planned on wearing heels it would have been too short], my jewelry and my veil.  Besides my puffy from crying face, I looked like an angel. 

About 3 seconds later, the sales lady appeared out of nowhere with a wrap/shawl thingy which looked like it was made for my dress.

The price tag on that dress was £1200, and another £150 for the lacy shawl thingy. I almost cried again.  Then the lady said 'This rack is 75% off, but I will give you the dress for £100, and throw in the wrap as it's an emergency.'  My husband's mate bought it for me as a wedding gift, and off we went to the house to get our things.  By the time we were ready to leave town [about an hour late], she had the dress steamed and bagged and ready to go.

It couldn't have been more perfect.  And I'm so glad it happened as it did, because when my original dress arrived the sleeves were too small. Now my girls will have three wedding dresses to choose from if they want to wear mine.  US wedding, UK wedding, and Emergency UK dress.  All with great stories ;)
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
Wren - You poor thing!! What a stressful situation, but it looked like it all worked out for you. Great story!

Sponsored Links