Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Guide to bringing your pet into the UK  (Read 6746 times)

• Liked: 0
Guide to bringing your pet into the UK
« on: September 03, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
I have made this guide from my own research and experience.  Hope someone finds it helpful in trying to figure out this very complicated process!

Bringing a pet into the UK (by Shawn Bawulski)

Getting a pet into the UK and avoiding the six month quarantine period is remarkably complicated and can be quite costly.  Of course, it is hard to leave your pet behind.  If you do decide to bring your pet with you here’s a straightforward guide on how to do so successfully (please note that this guide is written for those who are bringing their pet from the USA into the UK.  Other countries may have different rules- see the DEFRA website).

Common Questions

• Why all this bureaucratic nonsense?  My dog/cat is healthy!

o Yes, it is highly unlikely that your pet has rabies or parasites, but the UK is an island that is generally free of rabies and wants to remain as such.  It takes six months for rabies symptoms to occur once an animal gets the disease, hence the six month quarantine.

o Note that until the early 2000s, every animal coming into the UK went into quarantine, period.  Now you essentially do the quarantine yourself, 6 months before you come to the UK.  That’s what these instructions help you to do.

• What pets can avoid the quarantine?

o Dogs, cats, and ferrets.  That’s it.  Your pet iguana, illegally smuggled spider monkey, and 4H-Club Award winning rabbit will all have to be quarantined (if you can bring them in at all).

• Should I pay for a pet moving company/agency to help me?

o In a word, no.  The costs of microchipping, shots, blood testing and parasite treatments altogether add up quickly, then add on top of that the costs of airfare for your pet…the total cost will probably be between $1000-$2000, and perhaps even more if you have a large dog.  Why pay additional hundreds or even thousands to a pet moving company?  Everything they would do for you, you can do yourself.  Also, the transportation company that manages your pet’s flight will take care of the customs checks and similar sorts of things.  You just need to get them the right paperwork; they will let you know everything that you need give them.

• Will my normal vet be able to help me?

o Probably.  Any vet can put in the microchip, give the vaccination, and take the blood sample, but the vet that signs and stamps section V of the form (see below) must be an APHIS approved vet.  Not all practicing vets are APHIS approved, so it will make things go much smoother for you if you only work with one vet who is APHIS approved.  Go to newcomer link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/ [nonactive] and find the office for your state.  Call them and have them check to see if your vet is APHIS approved.

• What sort of carrier should I use for transport?

o You need an IATA approved carrier.  Check with the transport company- the carrier must be big enough so that your pet is able to sit, lie down and turn around comfortably.  The size is important because you get charged based on the dimensions of the carrier, so the smaller it is, the cheaper it is.  A few inches here and there can mean the difference between several hundreds of dollars, but if the carrier is too small they will not accept your pet at check in.  Contact your carrier company with questions.

• What carrier company should I use?

o The one associated with the airline on the approved route that you will be taking.  See this website: newcomer link: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/routes.htm [nonactive]   Note that from most US cities there are only one or two approved routes.  You probably will be on the same flight as your pet (accompanied), but some airlines will allow for unaccompanied pets. 

o Also, note that at the time of writing this, you can only fly your pet into London or to Manchester.  Once in either of those cities and past customs, your pet can fly anywhere in the UK- but of course, that requires a separate carrier company, a separate booking, and much additional expense.  Actually, we were told that none of the planes that fly from Manchester to Edinburgh were big enough to have a cargo hold that can take pets, so flying was not even an option for the leg of our travel between Manchester and Scotland.  We found it most cost effective to fly into Manchester and then rent a car to drive to St Andrews.  Many of the trains will also allow you to bring your pet along with you.

• What if something goes wrong along the way and my pet goes into quarantine? 

o You can apply for an early release.  See newcomer link: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/earlyrelease.htm [nonactive]

o If you do not use an approved route, your pet will automatically go into quarantine but you can apply for early release.  However, I would encourage you to avoid quarantine altogether.

• Who can help me through this process?

o I would start with the DEFRA website. newcomer link: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm [nonactive] You are bringing your animal in under the Pet Travel Scheme (or PETS for short).  However, note that you are not using a PETS certification or an EU passport.  You can apply for an EU pet passport once you have arrived, but your pet will be coming in under an official third country veterinary certificate (see below for details). 

o Also extremely helpful is the Pet Travel Scheme Helpline: +44 (0)870 241 1710 (Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm UK time).  While it is a call to the UK, the people there are competent and helpful.

o For state-side matters, see the USDA website newcomer link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/ [nonactive] to find your local area office and give them a call.

The Procedure

•Have your pet microchipped

o It is best to get the right documentation now (see form needed, below) and start filling in the information from the very beginning of the process.

o The microchip must be of this type: ISO 11784 or Annex A to ISO 11785.  If it is not of these two types, you will have to provide a microchip reader that is compatible with your pet’s chip and send it along with your pet.  You can purchase or even rent a chip reader, but I would recommend getting either of the international microchip standards listed above- then the chip reader that Customs uses will work just fine.

o You must get the chip implanted before giving rabies vaccination- even if your pet does not need a rabies booster anytime soon, the chip must come first!

• Have your pet vaccinated

o Again, even if your pet isn’t due for a booster, you still need to get it done AFTER microchipping. 

o You will need to write down some technical information about the rabies vaccination in section IV of the paperwork, so again it is best to have this in hand at the time of vaccination.

• Have your pet take a blood test

o You will probably need to wait a month AFTER the rabies vaccination before you have the blood test taken, in order to ensure that sufficient antibodies have been produced to pass the test.  If your pet fails the test, you have to take it again, which pushes back the date that the six month waiting period starts.

o The date that the blood sample was taken is very important, because your pet cannot travel until six calendar months have passed from that date.

o The blood test MUST be sent to an EU-approved lab.  Currently the only approved lab that civilians can use is at Kansas State University, but check here: newcomer link: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/labs.htm [nonactive] to see if that has changed.  Your vet should know how to handle this matter, and can send the sample out for you.

o A satisfactory test result must show that the rabies neutralizing antibody titre was equal to or greater than 0.5 IU/ml.  My dog’s was off the charts, > or = 1.99 IU/ml.

• Get PETS Documentation

o Here you need a third country official veterinary certificate.  The document is headed “VETERINARY CERTIFICATE for domestic dogs, cats, and ferrets entering the European Community for non-commercial movements (Regulation (EC) NO 998/2003)”.  DO NOT pay for this form, it is free and can easily be found on DEFRA’s site or with a google search.

o From DEFRA: “The certificate will not become valid for entry to the UK for 6 calendar months from the blood sample date shown in section V. However, it is only valid for entry to the EU and subsequent travel within the EU for 4 months from the date it was signed or endorsed, or until the “Valid until” date shown in section IV, whichever is earlier. Pet owners wishing to enter the UK with their pet should therefore be encouraged to delay getting the certificate until a month or two before they travel to ensure that it will still be valid when they enter the UK.”  This is important- you have to arrange things so that the blood sample is taken at least six calendar months before you travel, but once the vet and the USDA endorse the paperwork, you only have 4 months to travel.  Pay close attention to this timing.  Also, I believe that you only have 4 months from the date of endorsement to convert this certificate into an EU pet passport.

o The USDA needs to endorse this paperwork, and they will fill in the section on the first page “serial number of the certificate.”  Their fee for this service is currently $76.  You can call your local office to find where you should send the paperwork for this- see newcomer link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/ [nonactive] You will need to send in the “VETERINARY CERTIFICATE” form, the positive result paperwork from the blood lab, and a rabies certificate from your vet.  All of three of these must be signed by your vet (I ran into a hassle on that one).  You can mail the paperwork in and the USDA will mail it back- I recommend using Fedex or some service that gives you a tracking number.

• Have you pet treated for ticks and tapeworm

o This must be done between 24-48 hours BEFORE you fly- not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before the pet is checked-in with the approved transport company.  Your pet must be treated by a vet against ticks and the tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis.  The tick treatment can be your normal monthly flee/tick treatment (such at Frontline- a flea collar is not acceptable), but the tapeworm treatment must contain praziquantel.  Your vet will likely have this treatment in pill form. 

• Fly your pet

o Some airline carrier companies require a certificate from your vet stating that your pet is healthy enough for air travel.  If this is required, they will let you know.

o Do not sedate your pet.  Many carrier companies will not even accept a sedated animal, and sedation is generally considered to be more dangerous than helpful.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:59:55 PM by shawnus »

• Stupid bed!
Re: Guide to bringing your pet into the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:24:43 PM »
Take heed: Many vets do not know or understand the procedures. Make sure that you know and understand them so that you can guide your vet.

I made copies of all of the information and gave them to my vet prior to beginning the procedure. I even linked her up with a vet in another state that could advise her, if needed. Things went very smoothly for my kitty who has been here almost two years now. A friend used a vet who didn't understand the process and her dogs ended up in quarantine for several months.
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »
I also had made copies of everything and given it to my vet's office and when I went in the first time to get the microchip and rabies jab they started laughing at me when I insisted that the microchip go in FIRST and then the rabies jab.. She started to give one of my cats the jab first and I had to physically pull Gallagher away and explain that it was very important the order.  She rolled her eyes and said they would do the microchipping first then.

I should have known from there it was not good.  And if you read my past posts about my vet you will see I was right.  It's good that I studied up on everything and demanded things to be done correctly or I would not be ready to go this month!!   ;D
11 Aug 00 - Married (Living in US)
25 Jul 08 - Spousal Visa w/ KOL Stamp Approved
01 Oct 08 - Arrived in the UK
05 Mar 09 - ILR Approved (In Person Appointment ~ Liverpool Office)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:09:07 PM »
I also had made copies of everything and given it to my vet's office and when I went in the first time to get the microchip and rabies jab they started laughing at me when I insisted that the microchip go in FIRST and then the rabies jab.. She started to give one of my cats the jab first and I had to physically pull Gallagher away and explain that it was very important the order.  She rolled her eyes and said they would do the microchipping first then.

I should have known from there it was not good.  And if you read my past posts about my vet you will see I was right.  It's good that I studied up on everything and demanded things to be done correctly or I would not be ready to go this month!!   ;D

I remember reading your post about the laughing, and I feel for you -- that was appalling behaviour they dished out in that vet clinic. How dare they make fun when the facts really are that not doing in that order will bring the consequences one is trying to avoid. Shame on those people! Glad you got the right things happening and are ready to go.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »
I was really, really lucky! My vet was super-anal about following the guidelines. When we arrived safe and sound, I sent her and the staff a huge gift basket to thank them for their diligence.

My brother, who uses the same vet, says that she has a notice posted in her office that she has experience in prepping animals for the UK Pet Scheme. I think I want a cut from the business she gets!
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 02:09:59 AM »
I was really, really lucky! My vet was super-anal about following the guidelines. When we arrived safe and sound, I sent her and the staff a huge gift basket to thank them for their diligence.

Great idea.  My vet has been really great through this whole process, so if it all continues to go well, I'm stealing your idea!  :)

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 09:10:58 PM »

My brother, who uses the same vet, says that she has a notice posted in her office that she has experience in prepping animals for the UK Pet Scheme. I think I want a cut from the business she gets!

Man I wish I lived by your vet! lol  Unfortunately the only reason I went with that Vet's office I did is because one of the women told me they sent 5 cats to the UK last year.  She is the one that laughed at me.   ::)

I not will not be sending them a Gift Basket.. they better be glad I am not reporting them to the Better Business Bureau (as you can see in another of my posts) they tried to extort money from me in order for them filing out the 998 forms!!!  What crooks.  But oh well we got everything sorted in the end.   ;D

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=44487.msg625911#msg625911

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 02:29:50 AM »
I've been questioned a few times about the timing of the USDA endorsement.  I called the USDA office in MA and they said that it could be endorsed at any time, but once completed, was only good for 4 months.  Someone else told me that it could only be done 10 days in advance.  I've not been able to find anything online with USDA, Defra or anywhere else saying anything about 10 days?

Help!

???

• If you take my breath away...
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:43:39 AM »
The USDA is right.  Your 998/2003 is good for 4 months.

The 10 day thing for the "Fit to Fly" certificate, which CAN be the APHIS 7001 form or just a letter from your vet.  Ask you airline which one they require.  British Airways does not require USDA stamp.  It is just a letter from your vet saying that your pet is not so ill that it could be adversely affected by the flight.  Chronic conditions are not included (ie. thyroid, heart disease).

It doesn't sound like anyone requires the APHIS 7001 anymore, but it can be used regardless.

The PETS scheme was newly implemented a few years back, and has been altered recently.  Alot of the information available on the web is related to the older requirements.  Also, it's different between states and airlines.

Call the USDA, call the airline, look at the DEFRA site.

Best of luck!

ETA:  Now I think about it, the "Fit to Fly" is probably more aimed at keeping infectious diseases out of the country.  Not your question, but I just don't want to be giving out false information.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:19:01 AM by hollyberry »
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 03:07:53 AM »
^^ Awesome.  Thank you!  We're flying on 10/22 and the 998/2003 paperwork appt is scheduled for 9/15, so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have to re-do it. 

We're flying on Virgin and they've provided a "fit to fly" form, so the vet can fill that out when she does the worm treatment 48 hours before. 

Phew!

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 04:35:33 AM »
It doesn't sound like anyone requires the APHIS 7001 anymore, but it can be used regardless.

We are flying BMI and they DO require the APHIS 7001 form (all three of our cats can be on one form) however they do not require it be stamped by the USDA. 

But since the vet's office that will be doing the Tick/Tapeworm is two blocks from the USDA Offices I made an appointment that day anyway as I do not want to leave any stone unturned and figured it is not going to hurt to get it stamped.   :)

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:19:57 AM »
• Have you pet treated for ticks and tapeworm

o This must be done between 24-48 hours BEFORE you fly- not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before the pet is checked-in with the approved transport company.  Your pet must be treated by a vet against ticks and the tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis.  The tick treatment can be your normal monthly flee/tick treatment (such at Frontline- a flea collar is not acceptable), but the tapeworm treatment must contain praziquantel.  Your vet will likely have this treatment in pill form. 

Can anyone tell me, in their recent experience, were you required to have the tick/tapeworm thing signed off by the USDA?  I was under the impression that the answer is no, but the 98/2003 retains the space for it.   ????

I plan to call the GA USDA, BA and UK customs about everything this week.  Just wondering what your past experience has been.

danke  :)

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 02:54:17 AM »
The USDA Offices can sign off on the 998 form once sections I-V have been filled out.  They can sign off on this at any time but once they do the certificate is only valid for 4 months from that date.

Section VI & VII must then be filled out by the Vet that does the Tick Treatment & Echinococcus (Tapeworm) Treatment.  This must be done between 24-48 hours before the pet is checked in for the flight.  For example (in my situation):

9:30am Monday September 29th : Vet will perform Tick & Tapeworm Treatments
1:30pm Tuesday September 30th : Pets Check-In Time

Once the Vet has filled in Sections VI & VII (REMEMBER THE 24 HOUR CLOCK MUST BE USED WHEN FILLING THIS SECTION OUT) the USDA does not need to see the 998 form again.  They only needed to sign off on Sections I - V.

Also note that the same vet that filled in Sections I - V does not have to be the same vet that does the Tick & Tapeworm Treatment.  Like in my case.. it will be a different Vet's office.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:57:36 AM by ancmc »

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 02:57:40 AM »
Got it!  Thanks  :)

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:27:43 AM »
No problems!! You are leaving soon right?  I think I remember seeing that on another thread..

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab