Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello!  Now in MI, soon in England  (Read 1289 times)

Hello!  Now in MI, soon in England
« on: January 01, 2003, 02:29:45 AM »
Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say what a great website this is.  I haven't moved yet, but it has already been a huge help.

I'll be working for Ford Credit in the Warley/Brentwood area (just east of London) for the next 2-3 years.  I'm really excited, but also a bit stressed.  I'm doing this alone, so it will be quite an adventure.  

Am looking forward to chatting with you in the future, and will be asking for lots of advice, and perhaps some travel buddies!

Julia

Re: Hello!  Now in MI, soon in England
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 10:36:26 PM »
Hi Julia and welome to the forum. :)  Good luck with your move and feel free to ask any questions.  There's usually someone who knows the answer.   ;)

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 01:43:39 AM »
Welcome to UK yankee :) You're going to be quite close to where elle and I live, it's an interesting area close to London, yet far enough away to be still green with the countryside.

I hope you enjoy your stay both on the forum and in the country. :)

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 03:13:40 AM »
Thanks!

I'm sure you'll be receiving many hysterical notes from me as my move time gets closer (and once I'm there).  

I've found a place to live in Stock - very cute, small village.  Now, I'll just have to see if I can get myself to and from work shifting gears with my left hand.  I feel sorry for all the other poor souls on the road with me the first couple of weeks!

Any recommendations on gyms I should check out around the Brentwood/Billericay/Stock/Ingatestone area?  I am also trying to learn to golf and will be looking for some type of golf league to join.

Thanks again - it's great to have some support - makes this all a little less scary.

Julia  

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 09:28:06 PM »
was it hard for you to find a job in the UK?

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 03:23:45 AM »
Hi Julia from Atlanta,

I'm originally from the South too - Alabama.  This cold weather in Michigan has been tough for me (took me an hour and a half to get home tonight because of snow).

To answer your question, I found work through my current job with Ford Credit.  They had an opening in the UK office (2-3 year assignment) and my skill sets happened to be a good enough fit.  Ford has made this relatively painless. They flew me out for a pre-trip and held my hand through the whole process of finding a place to live, opening a bank account, ordering a lease vehicle, etc.  Once I get there, I'll be pretty much on my own, but Ford has been a tremendous help with the transition.

So, I have no idea how difficult it is to search for a job in the UK the traditional way.   Once I'm there, I'd be happy to scope things out for you and give you an opinion.

Swedish husband???? Does he have any brothers????  Just kidding!!

Good luck with your job hunt if that's what you decide to do.  I'm thinking it will be a wonderful adventure.

Julia

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2003, 03:43:37 AM »
Hi Julia...welcome to the forum. :) Your move sounds really exciting. Good luck with everything.

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2003, 06:48:48 PM »
Hi Julia,

Welcome to UKY...  I am sure you will enjoy your new job and time in England...  a nice big adventure for you.  

Lots of nice people here to help you when your time gets closer to move...  I have not moved yet and I know there are many here I will be able to count on when my stress level starts to rise.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab