Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Preserving/Canning...  (Read 25579 times)

• Liked: 1
Preserving/Canning...
« on: September 27, 2008, 08:59:17 PM »
Hey!   Under careful tutelage of my mother we have been canning and preserving our hearts out.  Mostly fruit and tomato based stuff.  I've invented tomatillo relish, preserves, and chutney to deal with the glut of tomatillos! (I just made salsa too.)  Now we have two bushels of apples (Red delicious and granny smith) and about the same in pears (this is the third batch of pears!). 

We have apple butter on the go (house is smelling wonderful) and we are going to try preserves and jelly.  I am just wondering if anyone had any nice chutney recipes?  I prefer ones with just the fruit in question.  Meaning no raisins etc.   

I am working on one with coriander and cumin based on a jar of the stuff I brought from England.  Even if you have a nice chutney you like and feel like writing down the ingredients off the jar that would be nice too.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:43:34 AM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Odd Duck
Re: Preserving/Canning...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »
I've not done chutney, but if you need something to do with pears this pear butter is AMAZING.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:59:28 PM »
You should try the BBC Good Food Website, they had a recipe for a Marrow chutney a month or two ago. It looked good.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »
Oh Elynor that one sounds great!  Am printing it as we speak!

I will racheeee.... I think Google gears searches to US sites first hence the overall paucity of decent chutney recipes!

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
Try to go to www.google.co.uk instead of www.google.com and you will be able to search UK websites easier.  Depending on what I'm searching for, I switch between them. My web browser at work defaults for some reason google netherlands, so I end up with interesting search results! 

Drool on all your fruit and canning. I love canning! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Odd Duck
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:39:15 AM »
Oh Elynor that one sounds great!  Am printing it as we speak!
Do I get a jar as a finder's fee? ;) ;D

I made that and apple butter as Christmas presents one year--the apple I could take or leave, but it was torture to give away the pear butter. *slobber*

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »
Phat, see Goggle UK wasn't pulling up on mine for some reason, but now it is.  Odd computer.

Canning is actually nice.  We do toast most mornings and it is great to have all the homemade stuff to put on toast.  Oh and to have decent chutney.... here nice ones run 4 to 6 dollars for a tiny jar. The poppadoms aren't too bad though!

After the Halloween rush is over and pumpkins are going cheap (mine all died) I am going to try pumpkin butter too.  Right now I am figuring out how to use a ton of chestnuts.

Elynor with so many cans I think something might be arranged! ;-)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Odd Duck
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 09:51:35 PM »
After the Halloween rush is over and pumpkins are going cheap (mine all died) I am going to try pumpkin butter too. 
There's a yummy one at vegetarianepicure.com--I can't post a direct link, so let me know if you can't find it. Just so you know, the health and safety gurus say you shouldn't can pumpkin butter. Not acidic enough. Of course I found this out after I'd made a huge batch for Christmas gifts. :P

Elynor with so many cans I think something might be arranged! ;-)

:-* You're so sweet, but the shipping would be a fortune. :P I'll keep an eye out for pears around here, now that I've been reminded of it.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 07:04:02 PM »
I have a great recepie for chutney using organic beer if you are interested.  It is mainly apple and onions, but it is lovely and sweet.

Vicky

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 07:14:27 PM »
I have a great recepie for chutney using organic beer if you are interested.  It is mainly apple and onions, but it is lovely and sweet.

Vicky

I'm interested in that!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »
Me too that sounds lovely Victoria.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »
My little folder of recipes from Fuller's (all using Honeydew Organic Beer) has gone walkabout  >:(  I'll have a hunt and get back to you.

Sorry, I feel like a tease now!

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 04:28:40 PM »
How easy is canning?  I've always wanted to try, but it looks a bit risky!

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 04:40:58 PM »
I would like a good recipe for Caramalised Onion Chutney  :P
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

Sponsored Links