Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Preserving/Canning...  (Read 25561 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Preserving/Canning...
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »
I am about to make my first attempt at preserving.  We have a damson tree in the back yard that is heavy with fruit, so I'm going to have a go with making some damson jam today.  Hopefully it works!  :)
That sounds good!  I like red plum jam.

• Gwiddon Coch, Sir Gaerfyrddin
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »
I am not sure if this has been addressed, before - but where do I buy water bath and pressure canning pots in the UK?! I am looking for the extra-large ones, suitable for a small gourmet condiments business. The only websites I can find are based in the US (and current shipping rates are skynormous), and Lakeland is entirely too dear for my husband and I to afford. Any suggestions?
Wherever you go, there you are!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »
Made my strawberry jam for the year today!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
Made my strawberry jam for the year today!
Nice! I made a single-jar batch of strawberry rhubarb jam the other night after dinner. We've got a MASSIVE amount of stone fruits right now, though (plums and nectarines mostly) so I'm going to do a big batch of those at some point this week. I wonder if they've got enough natural pectin or if I'll need a green apple peel... Hrmm.

Jynxie - have you tried the English way, sterilising by the oven? IMHO it's way, way less hassle than the American way and requires no special equipment. I've yet to have a single batch go bad.
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
Plums are high in pectin.

Nectarines, the pectin is in the skin, so leave the peel on those if you don't want to use pectin and/or jam sugar.

I agree, the UK way of sterilising in the oven is awesome! I'll never go back to water baths, etc.    

However, I can easily find water bath and pressure canning stuff in my local all in one shop called Farm & Household and also at the local Garden Centre. So it helps to look around Jynxie to see what you can get :).  
You're stuck with me!

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
Plums are high in pectin.

Nectarines, the pectin is in the skin, so leave the peel on those if you don't want to use pectin and/or jam sugar.
Awesome, thanks, you saved me a Google search. :) The one and only time I relied on jam sugar, the bleeding thing didn't set, so ever since then I just use the whole fruit, or add in some green apple peel to fish out later. Much easier!
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
Just wanted to let you guys know that they had proper Kilner jars at my local Morrisons today - the screw-top kind in the regular size and a larger size with a flip top, plus a few other accessories, though I didn't have time to properly look.

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »
Jynxie - have you tried the English way, sterilising by the oven? IMHO it's way, way less hassle than the American way and requires no special equipment. I've yet to have a single batch go bad.

I have no idea if I'll ever can anything, but I'm intrigued in this method. I think I never bothered before because of the hassle with all the boiling and equipment. Can you give tips on how this works?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »
You can also use the dishwasher!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
I have no idea if I'll ever can anything, but I'm intrigued in this method. I think I never bothered before because of the hassle with all the boiling and equipment. Can you give tips on how this works?

So easy! Wash your jars and lids in hot soapy water. 
Put on tray.
Start oven (need to not preheat oven as glass may shatter from cold to warm quickly, but minimal risk if washed in hot water) to 350ºF/180ºC.  Leave for about 25-40 minutes. Fill hot things into hot jars. Or let cool and fill with cool things. Don't touch insides of lids and jars. 
Bob's your uncle.

You can do the same thing with the dishwasher on a hot cycle, just don't touch insides of jars. (But my dishwasher often leaves things wet with the nasty dishwasher water, even after drying, so I don't use this way)

You can also use the microwave! Leave the jars a bit wet after washing and microwave for a minute or so. 

You're stuck with me!

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
So easy! Wash your jars and lids in hot soapy water. 
Put on tray.
Start oven (need to not preheat oven as glass may shatter from cold to warm quickly, but minimal risk if washed in hot water) to 350ºF/180ºC.  Leave for about 25-40 minutes. Fill hot things into hot jars. Or let cool and fill with cool things. Don't touch insides of lids and jars. 
Bob's your uncle.

You can do the same thing with the dishwasher on a hot cycle, just don't touch insides of jars. (But my dishwasher often leaves things wet with the nasty dishwasher water, even after drying, so I don't use this way)

You can also use the microwave! Leave the jars a bit wet after washing and microwave for a minute or so. 

Holy crap! So easy! Now I want to go can something!

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
Wow, eye-opening thread!

I have piles of green tomatoes and just been given a friend's excellent recipe for green tomato relish.  Trouble is, the instructions say to use a hot water bath.  I spent quite a  while searching through UK kitchen sites trying to find the necessary equipment before I found the info on this this thread which explains the different methods used in the UK.  I'm still confused about how to adapt the recipe though. Is it just the empty jars I put in the oven in order to sterilize them before filling, or do I put the filled jars in the oven?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »
Is it just the empty jars I put in the oven in order to sterilize them before filling, or do I put the filled jars in the oven?

Empty!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2012, 06:48:16 PM »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab