Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Croydon Escapades  (Read 3734 times)

The Croydon Escapades
« on: January 03, 2003, 11:30:38 PM »
Ladies and Gentleman this will be a long post, so feel free to move on to the next post if you're not up for the read.  Otherwise, get a cup of tea and I'll tell ya all about it while it's still fresh in my mind.

As many here knew, my spousal visa was getting close to expiration and it was time to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.  I could've mailed in my application along with passports and documentation, but I had concerns about doing it when it was close to the holidays and knowing the mail would get held up and that people would be taking time off.  I also didn't like the idea of letting my passport go for that long when it's the only piece of identification I really have these days that everyone is happy with.  So I chose the masochistic route and figured I'd make the trip to Croydon.

Frank and I figured we'd be semi-smart about it.  I had heard all the stories of people going and queing up at insane hours of the morning and waiting hours on end.  We knew it was going to be a full day.

We started out by booking a hotel room for the night at the Jurys Inn (http://www.jurysdoyle.com/fruk_index.htm).  The lady at the reception desk relayed stories about how people doing the same thing asked for wake up calls for like 3 am.  "Sorry", I said, "I refuse to queue before 7/7:30".

*NB: I'm not convinced queuing at 4 am will make the wait any shorter and one STILL sits and waits for x amount hours before the dang building even opens.

Carrying on...We woke up at 6, got ready and headed out.  Found Lunar House, home of the home office, but aha!  No one told us there were 2 different lines going into the building!  Ugh!  Well, we figured out quite quickly that the line we initially joined was not the right line and was for people going through some sort of screeing process on the 3rd floor.  

We joined the queue at the front of the building and it wasn't too bad.  Sure there were a lot of people but the line wasn't half way down the block like I thought it might be.  It was 7 AM when we joined the queue.  

The adventure of standing in the line is one worth noting.  So the guards come out with their cattle fences shortly after we join the line and start telling people to move up, which we did.  About 7:15, Frank decides to head to McDonald's to fetch us some breakfast.  I decide to read the book I brought.  It's worth noting that some people will do their level best to jump the queue.  As I stood by myself reading, I felt someone pull my hair.  I turned around and there was a middle eastern woman standing there who asked me, "Do they grant you independence?"  I said, "What?" She said, "Do they grant you independence if you have children?"  I looked at her kind of funny and said, "I dunno."  After that she proceeded to try to jump the queue in front of me, the guy in front of me and the couple in front of him.  Frank came back and we ate.  The woman disappeared.  When it became 8 am and they started letting people in, she showed up again.  I had told Frank about her and said, "She can jump the queue in front of others if they let her, but she isn't jumping in front of me."  

So as we're snaking our way through the maze of the line, I feel her tug my hair again.  I was pissed and turned around and said, "Would you please stop pulling my hair?!"  and she answered back, "I'm not pulling your hair!"  Riiiiigghhhhhtttt.....
When she got the message she wasn't jumping in front of me or the guy in front of me, she tried to jump in line behind us.  The guy behind us wasn't having it either.  She did manage to get in behind him though as the Pakastani family standing behind that guy didn't seem to mind.  Oi!

We get into the building at 9 AM; 2 hours after arrival.  Get through security ok, get our number, head up to 2nd floor.  We're number 250.  They were on number 117 when we got there.  We were in for a looooong wait.  

Six and a half hours, a sandwich, crips, candy bars, a few bathroom trips, and a lot of reading later, we finally got called about 3:45 PM.  I was a bit nervous because there was one thing I knew would be a sticking point: they wanted documentation that our marriage "subsists" and wanted utility bills or whatever other official type stuff that is in joint names with our address.  Since we live with the in-laws, we have no bills together and his bank didn't want to put me on his bank account, so we've always had separate accounts too.  However, on the application it says if we can provide documents that have been mailed to us individually at our address, then that works.  Great!  No problem.  Bank statements were provided, along with a letter addressed to us jointly from Halifax, and our travel insurance policy which was sent to me but has both our names on it.  

Yet the guy still stuck on it a little bit so we had to explain to him that we lived with the in-laws to which he began to ask if we had a letter from the in-laws stating this.  No, we don't because it's not asked for on the application AND we went through this when we initially applied for the spousal visa so somewhere in the British Immigration system is a copy of my in-laws' rent card and letter stating it was A-OK for us to live here with them.  Guy backed off and said what we provided was fine.  Good.  I'd hate to have to get pedantic on him.  The guy was just doing his job, but he couldn't seem to take a joke when he asked Frank how long he had lived at his address and Frank said, "30 years." the guy said, "You've lived there for 30 years?"  Frank said, "I hope so."  The guy questioned whether Frank was serious or not.  Ummm...it was humour, k?  It had been a long day for him.

We were shuffled off to wait for a while longer and within 30 minutes, were called back where I had a pretty green sticker in my passport and a nice letter from the Home Office all officially stamped and everything saying I can remain in the UK indefinitely.  Woo hoo!

Of course, by then it was 4:30 or so and Frank and I looked at each other and said, "Right.  Let's get the hell out of here."  

*NB: STILL not convinced queuing up at ungodly morning hours would've made the wait any shorter especially when we kept hearing officers coming over the loudspeaker saying, "Number 18 would you please return to desk 22." and by this time number 187 was being called.

And so we did get the hell out.  And so I am officially amongst the permanent residents of the UK and we are home and are celebrating the new green sticker with copious amounts of sparkling grape juice and Thornton's viennese chocolates.  Mmmm....

Feel free to partake in the celebrations with us!!!! (offers sparkling grape juice and viennese choccies to all)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2003, 11:36:04 PM by elle »

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: The Croydon Escapades
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 12:51:46 AM »
I'll have to make do with raising a glass of whisky to toast your new status, elle!  Congratulations - and at the end of it all it sounds rather painless - considering...

Have you stopped folding and unfolding your Home Office letter yet...?   ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 12:55:41 AM »
I'll have to make do with raising a glass of whisky to toast your new status, elle!  Congratulations - and at the end of it all it sounds rather painless - considering...

Have you stopped folding and unfolding your Home Office letter yet...?   ;D

Fold?  HA!  I put that thing in a plastic sleeve and didn't fold it!  I'm considering having the thing laminated as the guy told us it'd be the only one I get.  If it got lost or destroyed they wouldn't be able to provide another copy. :-/

Anyway...THANKS!!!!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 08:49:54 AM »
Fantastic news, elle! I recall what elation I felt, to be totally and finally 'legal'. A huge last step in many huge steps to take. Well done!!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 10:14:17 AM »
Fantastic news, elle! I recall what elation I felt, to be totally and finally 'legal'. A huge last step in many huge steps to take. Well done!!

Thanks Lisa and yes it does feel more "permanent" now!  I told Frank it was like getting married again but this time knowing there were no other obstacles in the way.  We're completely and utterly married and together now.  Sound stupid?  maybe.  But that's how I felt!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2003, 10:23:11 AM »

I told Frank it was like getting married again but this time knowing there were no other obstacles in the way.  We're completely and utterly married and together now.  Sound stupid?  maybe.  But that's how I felt!

Heck no it doesn't sound stupid! That is exactly how I felt. Didn't feel all-the-way married before that. Didn't feel I quite 'belonged'. Always had this thing looming over me that I could get sent back at any time.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2003, 11:03:26 AM »

Heck no it doesn't sound stupid! That is exactly how I felt. Didn't feel all-the-way married before that. Didn't feel I quite 'belonged'. Always had this thing looming over me that I could get sent back at any time.

Oh good!  I'm glad someone understands then!  lol

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2003, 03:54:46 PM »
Heya Elle, congrats again.  :D  I know exactly how you feel chica.  I felt like singing and dancing on the way home, and didn't even mind that I got lost and that my 5 min walk to the station turned into a 45 min tour of Croydon.  I kept smiling all the way home.  And yeah, I felt very much that I belonged.  That no-one could take me away.  :D  And I was also pleased as it then meant I could go job-hunting (people had refused to hire me as a temp two months before my visa expired...because it was going to expire.  argh.)  So in addition to the no utility bills and seperate bank accounts thing that you had, I also had the joy of no job.  lol.  It all turned right in the end!  :)  

Ah it's so great reading about it, as it fills me with a sort of nostalgic high, for how I felt .  :D  

when are we cinnabunning???
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2003, 03:32:08 PM »
Hey Elle!  Just out of curiosity what day of the week did you go?  Are any days better than others?  I am really dreading this experience, not because of myself, as if it has to be done it has to be done, but my husband HATES standing in line.  I have a feeling he is going to be a real misery guts.  I'd like to hear one good thing about Croyden other than they let people stay in the country.  :-/
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2003, 04:00:33 PM »
We went on the 3rd January which was a Friday.  I don't know if any one day of the week is better than another.   :-/  I hope it goes well whenever you go!  It's certainly a whole day long type of thang.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2003, 04:08:36 PM »
I am really dreading this experience, not because of myself, as if it has to be done it has to be done, but my husband HATES standing in line.  I have a feeling he is going to be a real misery guts.  

ROFLMAO!!!!!  My husband is exactly the same way.  Seriously.   [smiley=whip.gif]  And he wonders why I call him a brat.  ;D  The good news is that it's perfectly possible (I know cause I did it this way) to get your indefinite leave to remain by yourself.  Amazing how waiting by yourself with a good book can be easier than waiting with your love.  :D
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2003, 10:21:39 PM »
hmmm... thanks for the info.  I think it will become a definate possibility.  Of course if I have to suffer, I think he should as well  ;) I'm really parinoid about showing up without him.  When I went in to get my first visa (can't even remember what it was called now) I went by myself, only to find out that he had to be there as well.  They admitted that it doesn't say that anywhere official, but he had to be there just the same.  I see now they have added that to the web site, but it only seems to say it for Glagow.  Will let you know how I get on!  Thanks again.

Donel
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2003, 12:10:53 AM »
hmmm... thanks for the info.  I think it will become a definate possibility.  Of course if I have to suffer, I think he should as well  ;) ...........Donel

LOL now this really sounds like Elle's attitude with me :P

Seriously though, i was glad that I went with her. If I hadn't it would have been much more difficult.  It seemed that it was everyone for themselves in the offices; I saw this couple who'd brought their children with them.  They all sat down on those crappy blue benches :P next to an asian guy who was waiting.  The couple got up and went for a while, leaving their kids sitting on the benches.  Another asian couple came over to the benches, the husband looked at one of the kids and said excuse me and proceeded to almost sit on the kid!  The kids big brother pulled him out of the way in time so he wasn't crushed.  Then his wife sat down on the other side of these three kids!  :( squeezing the kids in between them.  Then the parents of the children came back and they looked a little surprised that their children were surrounded.  So they got their kids and went off, leaving the final seat for to be filled for the final standing members of the family, who quite frankly, strong-armed the kids out of their seats.

Just made me glad that I went along.  If for no other reason just to keep Elle's seat for when she went off to the toilet.:)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2003, 04:35:34 PM »
How much does the spouse visa cost and also when you get further leave to remain how much did that cost in Croydon..thanks folks... :D
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2003, 10:32:04 PM »
How much does the spouse visa cost and also when you get further leave to remain how much did that cost in Croydon..thanks folks... :D

I paid $429 over a year ago for a spouse visa and from looking at the consular's website it appears to still be that amount.  I paid nothing to get Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Sponsored Links