Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Newest Knee-Jerk Reaction towards Immigration Here in the UK.  (Read 7373 times)

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
Re: The Newest Knee-Jerk Reaction towards Immigration Here in the UK.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 04:22:03 PM »
I'm not saying that it's right, just that those are the rules.

Actually, you are allowed benefits once you've got ILR; you don't have to be a citizen. You just can't vote or serve on a jury.

But you have waited 2 years....I think it shoudl be the same rules all round...so should they..but thats my opinion I am sure not shared by others..
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 04:53:39 PM »
Is it really productive for different groups of immigrants to fight about who is more entitled to live here?

Is it really productive for groups of people living in the UK dealing with the same systems of banking, housing, employment and taxation, and the problems inherent in them, to fight over them?

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »
[GLOBAL MOD NOTE]

I'm watching this one.  Stay on topic.  Keep the personal attacks out of it.  Remember you're talking to real people and nobody gets extra points for being BRITISH so you can can that too. 

This is your warning.  ANY questions or comments, take it to PM.

ANY more snarky  bickering and I'm locking it.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »
[GLOBAL MOD NOTE]

Remember you're talking to real people and nobody gets extra points for being BRITISH so you can can that too. 

Can I please add to this...I would like it if the British people on this forum didn't make comments which sound as though they are speaking for ALL of us...they are clearly not.

Right, back to the issue.  Benefits.  yes, it is true that EU nationals can claim certain benefits as soon as they arrive.  But why blame the EU nationals themselves for this?  They didn't force this.  This was something which came with the Maastricht Treaty, and then the signing of the Social Chapter...blame successive British governments, not the Polish guys who come here.

Second point...yes, they are entitled to these benefits.  But do they always take them?  No!  I would like to see figures on this.  I would like evidence of how many Polish guys come to the UK and immediately sign on and then sit on their arses.  Once I see that there are more Polish long term unemployed than there are UK long term unemployed, then I'll start moaning about them too.  But until then I go with the evidence of my own eyes.  And I can say that of all the myriad EU nationals I have met through the course of my professional and private life, I see no dole scroungers.  I see hard working people who contribute to the economy, and who are grateful for the work opportunities they have. 

So...perhaps LuckyCuz and I just move in different circles.  She sees people who play the system, I see people who are decent and hard working.  Perhaps that just means...some immigrants are good and others are bad, just like some UK nationals are good and some are bad.

:)

Vicky

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
So...perhaps LuckyCuz and I just move in different circles.  She sees people who play the system, I see people who are decent and hard working.  Perhaps that just means...some immigrants are good and others are bad, just like some UK nationals are good and some are bad.
 :)

Vicky

Agreed  :) I am not saying the majority do..but the very few...and I am not highlighting any particular national...it happens across the board.  I am sure as we are all aware that Brits rook the system equally.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Banned

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 01:08:30 PM »
Crikey!  It wasn't supposed to end this peacefully!  I'm rather disappointed!

;)

Vicky

• Liked: 2
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008, 03:16:38 AM »
Similarly with my aunt, who has been in the US for 30 years: she moved to the US in 1978 but didn't apply for her US citizenship until 2001. As far as I am aware, she was never under any pressure to become a citizen, it was her own choice.
Similarly with my aunt, who has been in the US for 30 years: she moved to the US in 1978 but didn't apply for her US citizenship until 2001. As far as I am aware, she was never under any pressure to become a citizen, it was her own choice.
Chanah, I totally agree with you. My DH doesn't think I will have to do this because he doesn't think the bill will become law.  However, I am more cynical about governments and don't trust them at all.  So, I suppose when I get back from visiting my oldest daughter (and helping her out with the grandkids, while my son-in-law is in Iraq) in April, I will start proceedings towards getting naturalized. That is, if I still have any money left (seeing as the stock market is in a spiral) to pull out to pay for the paperwork involved. Funnily, I will be gone starting from 4 Feb 2009 and returning 15 Apr 2009, making it the longest I have been out of this country in five years.

A friend of mine's Canadian wife got a new green card last year.  She wasn't pressured to become a U.S. citizen in any way, shape or form.  Other than being told she could, nothing else was said.  This woman has been here for a decade or so.

• York Interweb
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
My sister in the US has a coworker who is British. He has a green card, and has been married to an American and working in the UK for over a decade. He has repeatedly applied for citizenship and it has always been refused.  He is certainly not being encouraged to become a citizen.

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »
Crikey!  It wasn't supposed to end this peacefully!  I'm rather disappointed!

;)

Vicky

:-*

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 10:16:17 AM »
If you take up British Citizenship...do you have to release your American Citezenship?  I know my husband won't do this.  Does that mean that we have a time limit settled here?

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
If you take up British Citizenship...do you have to release your American Citizenship?

No.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 10:21:52 AM »
Thank Heavens....My husband had a special moment about this one yesterday! I will put his mind to rest  :)

• My blog!
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »
If you take up British Citizenship...do you have to release your American Citezenship?  I know my husband won't do this.  Does that mean that we have a time limit settled here?

The US cleared this up in the late 1970 and early 1980.  You don't lose your citizenship unless you intend to lose it.  There are a couple of things you can do that will put it in jeapordy (like serving as an officer in a foreign military) but taking a UK Citzenship will do nothing (but you will have to answer some questions when you next renew your US passport).

As far as the time limit, they (UK Government) to force people into Citizenship, to leave or to prove why Citizenship would harm them.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• York Interweb
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 01:55:49 PM »
My sister in the US has a coworker who is British. He has a green card, and has been married to an American and working in the US for over a decade. He has repeatedly applied for citizenship and it has always been refused.  He is certainly not being encouraged to become a citizen.

edit: He has been living and working in the US for over a decade.

Sponsored Links