Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: fast food  (Read 3868 times)

• Liked: 0
fast food
« on: January 05, 2003, 06:53:10 PM »
Does anyone know where I could find a Taco Bell around the Hertofordshire area? I found one in Scotland but can't seem to find one around here.  That is one thing I really miss.

Re: fast food
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 07:29:26 PM »
Shhhhhh!  Don't mention Taco Bell!  You'll get them all started.  Sadly, there are no Taco Bells here.  Although people will tell you of a mythical Taco Bell that once stood in Leicester Square.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 07:45:51 PM »
Shhhhhh!  Don't mention Taco Bell!  You'll get them all started.  Sadly, there are no Taco Bells here.  Although people will tell you of a mythical Taco Bell that once stood in Leicester Square.  ;)

Good lord!!  We were just in the Leicester square area a short time ago.  But we didn't see any burnt out Taco Bell buildings...

We had some papa johns pitza when we went to Wench's house for Halloween.  It was pretty good as was the company...:)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 07:46:38 PM by Nefandous »

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 07:49:10 PM »
Sadly, there are no Taco Bells here

There's no Krispy Kreme's here either! :(  Something that I got a taste for while I was in the states.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2003, 08:47:42 PM »
We have had the same identical discussion on a Swedish version of this site! And lots of people swear there are Taco Bells, sadly, we don't have them either :-/
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Edmund Burke
www.lostinsweden.com

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 09:51:41 PM »
Does anyone know where I could find a Taco Bell around the Hertofordshire area? I found one in Scotland but can't seem to find one around here.  That is one thing I really miss.

Where in Scotland did you find one???

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 11:16:59 PM »

Where in Scotland did you find one???

Yes I too would like to know where this Taco Bell is!!  In fact you never know, there could be a pilgrimage on the cards for such a place.....;)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2003, 09:36:07 AM »
Do I hear ...
Road Trip
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Oh, ladies and gents, I was curious and I had a peek. I can't find very much information about Taco Bells located here in the UK, but I did find something...

Yum! Restaurants International owns five names:
- A&W (Rootbeer) Restaurants
- KFC
- Long John Silvers (NB: I wouldn't mind having this one too)
- Pizza Hut
- Taco Bell

They are actively looking to expand their restaurants internationally and are taking applications for people to take on franchises. They will not consider any applications with less than three resturants wanted.

Their FAQ has this answer about foreign locations:
Does YRI plan to franchise Taco Bell outside the US?
Taco Bell is present in a number of countries outside the US. We are, however, focusing our initial Taco Bell development initiatives on a few select countries before considering expansion. Further enquiries should be made to the YRI Franchise Centre for the region in which you are interested.

I would say that the UK falls into one of those 'select' categories because there are Pizza Huts and KFCs here.

I have not been able to find Taco Bell locations, except in the US, on their website at http://www.tacobell.com, but I'm not giving up hope.

They do have a UK Yum! Restaurants International location:
Great Britain and Europe
    Restaurant Support Centre
    32 Goldsworth Road
    Working, Surrey GU21 1JT
    England
    Phone: (44) 1483-717-000
    Fax: (44) 1483-717-018
...except I think whoever typed it has never been to Woking...

A downside...
I came across this explanation, I don't know the person's credentials, but if you can get past the wording of the text, the jist of it makes a lot of sense, sadly.
In order to maximize profits, Taco Bells' ingredients are almost entirely pre-packaged. Vegetables are already chopped. Meat is already cooked, and packed in a vacuum-sealed bag for reheating. Taco shells and chips are pre-fried. Millions of flour tortillas are churned out daily from a factory which resembles a concentration camp in Los Angeles. Refried beans? Those are dried, and look a bit like rabbit turds until one rehydrates them with boiling water. Now, even with the British reputation of being poor cooks, a restaurant could probably find English suppliers for raw ingredients, like flour, corn meal, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, beef, chicken, the whole bit. But, contracting with suppliers to cook food for a handful of British Taco Bell outlets would not be cost-effective. The EU ban on American growth-hormone-laden beef makes importing the stuff impossible.

Anyway, as I see it, someone's gotta build one two three and go through a tremendous amount of hassle to get suppliers. Anyone interested, their website is: http://www.trigfp.com/home.htm. Oh, and let me know where you put them.

;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 10:13:30 AM by Lisa »
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2003, 12:53:15 PM »
Krispy Kreme Awards Development Rights in the United Kingdom

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., Nov. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. (NYSE: KKD) today announced its second franchise agreement outside of North America, awarding development rights for the United Kingdom. Krispy Kreme will partner with Chesire and Kent, Ltd. and Donald Henshall to form Krispy Kreme UK Limited, which will develop 25 stores over the next 5 years throughout the United Kingdom. Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. will retain a 34% equity interest in the new partnership.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2003, 07:45:46 PM »
OOOOH NO!, [smiley=bigcry.gif]

I thought moving to the UK would save my tempturous need of Krispy Kreme's...  ya know... that outta sight outta mind theory... You can not go into any convience or grocery store now days in my area in maryland without a Krispy Kreme display... ERRRR!  they are way to good...   I have made a habit of lowering my head when I must pass them...  because if I look straight at them...I must have one!
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2003, 08:08:10 PM »
Yum Krispy Kreme.  I used to live around the corner from one.  You know the Taco Bell in Scotland. I could have sworn that is where I found one but I have searched on the net and there does not seem to be one.  Do you think I dreamt it?

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 08:38:50 PM »
Krispy Kreme UK?  w00t.  :D

ah well, I only have to hold out for Taco Bell until Feb.   [smiley=devilish.gif]

Oh, and there's a Taco Bell about half an hour from Frankfurt Airport in Germany...or so I've been told.  Of course the b*st*rds only went and built one at the base I was stationed at...after I moved!  
love + cheap flights to Germany with Easyjet
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2003, 12:11:25 AM »
Krispy Kreme Awards Development Rights in the United Kingdom

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., Nov. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. (NYSE: KKD) today announced its second franchise agreement outside of North America, awarding development rights for the United Kingdom. Krispy Kreme will partner with Chesire and Kent, Ltd. and Donald Henshall to form Krispy Kreme UK Limited, which will develop 25 stores over the next 5 years throughout the United Kingdom. Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. will retain a 34% equity interest in the new partnership.

This is puzzling as I wrote to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts about stores in England.  Although perhaps I asked the wrong question.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email regarding a store in London, England. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. Unfortunately, at this time there are no stores in London. We work hard to satisfy loyal customers such as yourself, and we are currently evaluating European markets.

Best regards,
Aaron Richards
Krispy Kreme Customer Experience
www.krispykreme.com

But I'm willing to Kent to get them ;)

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2003, 12:17:06 AM »
OOOOH NO!, [smiley=bigcry.gif]

I thought moving to the UK would save my tempturous need of Krispy Kreme's...  ya know... that outta sight outta mind theory... You can not go into any convience or grocery store now days in my area in maryland without a Krispy Kreme display... ERRRR!  they are way to good...   I have made a habit of lowering my head when I must pass them...  because if I look straight at them...I must have one!

The real problem is that if you have one.....You know you have to have another!  And then another....and then another... [smiley=devilish.gif]

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2003, 02:39:05 PM »
LOL!...  Frankly 8)  I am lucky in the fact that I can be happy with just 2 per week...  but that is 2 too many for me...  
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

Sponsored Links