Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Darkness  (Read 6706 times)

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
  • Liked: 0
Darkness
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:21 AM »
I have to say that yesterday was a very hard day for me to deal with! Monday I went home a bit early from work, and Sunday was a day at home after a visit to the inlaws, but yesterday it really hit me! Turning the clocks and gaining an hour has drowned me in darkness!! I know that sounds a bit over the top but it was so sudden.

To start getting dark at 4:15 just seems crazy! I walked home and it was dark, not pitch black, but dark!! Thank goodness for street lamps. I got home at 5:15pm and it was night. How depressing, and that's what it's doing, I feel depressed. I just feel down thinking my bus has to turn on the inside lights and I sit on it watching it get darker, then knowing I have to walk home in it when only a few days ago it was light and sunny. Then I think about that it will only get darker earlier and earlier and that all winter I'll be lucky to see the sun! Goodness!!

I feel like I'm working myself up but it is so sudden and doesn't feel right. It's throwing me off and I miss the sun in the evening. I am sure it never got dark this early on in the year in the US. Didn't we decide to not turn the clocks back so early?  I wish the UK would decide that too.

Just could use some coping stories, support, or advice. Thanks! x

Re: Darkness
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:57:02 AM »
It's definitely hard to get used to- I've been here for over two years and I still hate it.  SAD lamps are good, but for the most part you just have to get through it.  I have to say, celebrating the winter solstice has a lot more meaning for me here because I am always very excited to get to the turning point!  I find the short days are easiest to deal with during late November and December because all the Christmas decorations/lights cheer me up.  January is the worst month, I think, but by the end of February things start to get a lot better.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:57:43 AM »
It's horrible, isn't it? :( I don't like how early it gets dark now either (and I'm used to it too :P).

I feel like I'm working myself up but it is so sudden and doesn't feel right. It's throwing me off and I miss the sun in the evening. I am sure it never got dark this early on in the year in the US. Didn't we decide to not turn the clocks back so early?  I wish the UK would decide that too.

The US changes the clocks this coming weekend, so it's not that different to the UK although because the UK is at a higher latitude, it gets darker earlier here anyway unfortunately :(.

Then I think about that it will only get darker earlier and earlier and that all winter I'll be lucky to see the sun! Goodness!!

It doesn't get that much worse through the winter though - even on the shortest day the UK still gets between 7.5 and 8 hours of sunlight (about 8.15am to 3.55pm in the midlands), so if it's getting dark around 4.30pm now, that's only going to change by about 30-45 minutes between now and December 21st.

As it gets to Christmas time though and the holiday atmosphere gets underway I actually find the darker evenings cosy and warm - you can huddle on the sofa in front of the fire with a mug of hot chocolate and watch a DVD or something :). If you do struggle with the short days though, you could invest in a SAD lamp or similar to help you feel better :).

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »
I've never had a SAD lamp, but I have heard good things about them. If you're finding it really tough, that might be an option for you.

Personally, I kind of like the nights closing in early. I'll admit that by the end of the winter, I'm over it and ready for some sunshine. But for now, I love that cosy, nesting feeling it brings out in me. It makes me want to bake and knit and do all sorts of domestic-y things!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:02:37 PM »
It's one of the few things that I've really and truly struggled with and still hate. The worst is when it's only light from 8am to 3pm. Sigh.

I'd suggest a SAD lamp and/or a sunrise alarm clock. Stick either of those in google and you'll find places that sell them. The sunrise clock has been a life saver for me....

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »
But for now, I love that cosy, nesting feeling it brings out in me. It makes me want to bake and knit and do all sorts of domestic-y things!  :)

It makes me want to skip work.  :P

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:05:17 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I just feel so upset by this! lol

I knew this in the back of my head, but it's nice hearing it. It's reasurring to know that it won't be too much worse than it is now, though just for a long while!

I was thinking I might look into a SAD lamp. I am sure there's a thread on here somewhere, I'll have to hunt it down so I can get more info! I'll look into the sunrise clock, never heard of it!

My SIL says she loves the long nights too. I wish I could feel the same, it just makes me want to go to bed and stay there ( and skip work!) :/

Thank you for your replies and comments!!!!! :x

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:06:03 PM »
It makes me want to skip work.  :P

LOL!

Well, I don't work, which might be one of the reasons I don't mind it so much. But it used to get dark well before I left work in the US, and that didn't bother me. In fact, I think it might have made me more productive! I was always more inclined to want to skip work on a sunny July day!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »
I think it might have made me more productive! I was always more inclined to want to skip work on a sunny July day!

Well, I want to skip it then too.  ;) I want to be in bed when it's dark and cold - that's my problem. Maybe you should try to teach the unteachable AnneR how to knit!  ;)

Steph, do look into the alarm clock. They're pricey but it makes SUCH a massive difference. I've got mine set to play the alarm after a 30 minute sunrise but I'm ALWAYS up before the alarm goes - it's amazing how well it works (and this coming from someone who could sleep professionally!)

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:41:15 PM »
just googled the sunrise alarm clock and it came up with a lot of things, varying in price. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as brand etc?

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 01:00:29 PM »
I actually enjoy the early dark days.  It think its because getting cosy with a hot drink and stew..Xfactor..Halloween, Fireworks Night and Christmas are all round the Corner ( and Thanksgiving now ) Christmas lights..cuddles...Christmas markets...open fires in the local pub...Hot Totty..Mulled Wine...scarfs and gloves  :D

I am obviously used to it...but I do find the first week odd..but it soon settles away.  As soon as Christmas is over it starts getting lighter again..so its not a long long time.
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
Everyone's so positive about it. I should try to start looking at it that way!  [smiley=elf.gif]

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »
This argument rages every year, but I think there is no choice.  It has to be better to have early nights than for it to be dark until 8 in the morning...now that *is* depressing!

The fireworks started last night (Happy Diwali everyone!) and will continue until November 10th, so I barely even noticed that it was dark!

Vicky

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »
Also..we have a rule in our office that once the clocks go forward..you are officially allowed to sing cheesy christmas songs whilst working  ;) :D ;D
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I've always found the adjustment hard. Especially in the middle of winter when it is dark at 3pm and you've still got hours to go at work, but it feels like you should be home in bed.

This year, I fear, is going to be even worse though because our council decided turning off street lamps is a great way to save money. So instead, each street lamp has a sticker with a phone number on it that you're to call if you need the light turned on  >:( It is frustrating because my walk home already takes me through a bit of a dodgy area (not a bad neighbourhood, just near industrial buildings with very little lighting to begin with!) and this just compounds it.

The darkness is a great excuse for lazy nights wrapped up on the couch drinking hot cocoa though :D
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab