Sponsored Links

Topic: Darkness  (Read 6722 times)

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
Re: Darkness
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
This year, I fear, is going to be even worse though because our council decided turning off street lamps is a great way to save money. So instead, each street lamp has a sticker with a phone number on it that you're to call if you need the light turned on  >:(

WTF!! FFS! How dangerous is that!! I have never heard anything so ridiculous! I would have thought maybe adjusting the times they came on for summer versus winter but not to switch them off completely! Nightmare for you  >:(
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »
just googled the sunrise alarm clock and it came up with a lot of things, varying in price. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as brand etc?

LL Bean has a "Moonbeam" clock:

* Wake up to gentle illuminating light
    * Features an alarm bell, snooze feature and battery backup
    * Pastel colors complement the décor of any room

Costs $39.50

The US doesn't "fall back" until next week and it is sooo dark in the mornings when I go to work I have to carry a torch!

>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »
This is mine: http://www.lumie.com/shop/products/dawn-simulators/Bodyclock-ADVANCED-200

It was a lot of money but I honestly think it was worth every penny and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I think the most important features are to have a backup alarm (in case the light isn't enough to wake you), an adjustable sunrise (once you get used to it a long sunrise can be annoying), and a daylight bulb (it's closer to the spectrum of "real" light so it's not harsh). I also use the security feature which turns the light on and off at random times if you're not home for a while.

Our council has turned off the street lights along our primary A road as well and it's a total nightmare on dark, rainy nights. I wrote to the council and the response was that they were installing more reflectors along the side.  ::) I hate it - last night on the way home it was pitch black and the road was partly flooded but you couldn't actually even see where it was flooded. SO dangerous!!!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »
This is mine: http://www.lumie.com/shop/products/dawn-simulators/Bodyclock-ADVANCED-200

It was a lot of money but I honestly think it was worth every penny and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I think the most important features are to have a backup alarm (in case the light isn't enough to wake you), an adjustable sunrise (once you get used to it a long sunrise can be annoying), and a daylight bulb (it's closer to the spectrum of "real" light so it's not harsh). I also use the security feature which turns the light on and off at random times if you're not home for a while.

Oh yeah, DS has that one in an attempt to get over depression.  Don't know that it worked.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 03:13:20 PM »
Going to talk to the DH about it. I'm sure we'll get one, probably the combo so I can have the sunlight too when I'm not using the alarm :) I got really depedant on sleeping with an eye mask...eek.  I guess I'll go back to none, might take a bit lol.

BTW I find this appauling that they turn off the lights! Everyone pays taxes and so on for these reasons, and it is more than dangerous! I hope you can get them turned on for safety sake!

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
It makes me want to skip work.  :P
LOL.   ;D  Me too.
Thanks for posting the link to the clock; I always wondered what they were.  Funny thing, I was apartment and dog-sitting years ago and the lady who lived there had one of these; it would go off at night.  My boyfriend and I had no idea why the clock had a light like that in the middle of the night; it wasn't super bright, but kind of magical.  Now, silly us, I'm guessing she had had a power outage and the clock was set for night instead of day.  Amusing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:55:45 PM by DaisyGal »

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 03:52:37 PM »
OMG I had the same feeling . I was annoyed as I was walking towards home think you gotta be kidding. even though Seattle get's a bit dark early but I can't remeber weather it was that early. but anyways we;ll get use to it won't we? :) life goes on
Never, "for the sake of peace and quiet," deny your own experience or convictions.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »
I hate it. I hated it in the US, too. But it worse here. Especially living in the north.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »
I got really depedant on sleeping with an eye mask...eek.  I guess I'll go back to none, might take a bit lol.

I put a blackout shade in our bedroom because we have a streetlight (one of the few still on, LOL) in front of our house - that might be a way to ween yourself off of the eye mask....

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »
I wanted a Moonbeam clock, but it is for the US only, no UK plug.

My problem is that it either takes 1 hour to walk home, over an unlit common, which is not a good idea, or at least 1 1/2 hours to get the bus.  Boooooo.  I wouldn't mind the change if it weren't for that.

• tenez dessus fortement sur vos rêves
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »
OK maybe slightly off topic , but just think of the compensation in the summer when it doesn't get dark till 10pm and later the further north you go, although these last two summers we haven't noticed it due to the poor weather  ;) :).
its a far better thing i do than i have ever done

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 08:21:02 PM »
OK maybe slightly off topic , but just think of the compensation in the summer when it doesn't get dark till 10pm and later the further north you go, although these last two summers we haven't noticed it due to the poor weather  ;) :).

I LOVE the long summer days and the thought of them does help me get through the dark dreary winters.  There is not much better than being out at 10pm and it still being light out.  But I just think, if it's going to be this cold and dark in October, we really should be graced with better summers.  It's only fair ;D

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »
I think it used to bother me more (in my earlier years here) than it does now.  It's still not ideal - I am 100% a summer gal.  But I think I cope with the darkness better now by doing the following:

1) We live in a city, so I try to (even though it's dark earlier) get out there & do all the things I would ordinarily do - walk around, shop, etc.

2) Yes on the cozy nesting, cooking, baking thing.

3) More hot Lush baths, reading more, etc.

4) If all that fails, I'll always have alcohol!

Since the time change, I have been exceedingly tired though - struggling to keep my eyes open past 8 pm!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »
"Hello darkness my old friend..."

AnneR, I have just added your alarm clock to my Christmas list.  Thank you.  :)
doing laundry

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 10:41:37 PM »
I was laughing looking out the window today and saw that it started to get that sun going down feeling at 3 pm and I'm already walking to work in the dark, despite the hour difference... The real fun starts when there's only like 5 hours of sunlight...  I don't mind though for some reason, not sure why it doesn't bother me.  I also think its fun when the sun never really sets in the summer!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab