Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Blueberries?  (Read 1265 times)

• Liked: 0
Blueberries?
« on: January 08, 2003, 03:30:39 PM »
Hi, does anyone know where I can get blueberries (prefer fresh or frozen, but will settle for canned) in the London area? I've been here for a year and a half and have only found one lone basket in my local Sainsbury's once. It was enough to make blueberry pancakes...and give me hope that more must exist somewhere!

Re: Blueberries?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 08:19:57 PM »
I'm sorry I can't be of more help - have yet to see any here, either!  :'(  But..you could always try Tesco's..it's apparently the place of the gods  ;D, so you might have some luck there!

~Christa

• having one of those days...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 11:38:43 AM »
hi dori,

i have seen fresh blueberries at tesco's, although in very small quantities.  i haven't bought any myself.  i have also seen frozen ones there, but i think it was mixed with some other fruit.  maybe asda, since they're affiliated with wal-mart?  i'll check at costco next time i'm there...i know they sell NY-style cheesecake and blueberry topping is my favorite.

*:)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 08:00:22 PM »
I LOVE the blueberries here! So big and juicy! Especially great tossed into my porridge. Yummers!

I get them at Tesco and usually pick up two lots of them because they come in such small containers. I get mine delivered from ordering off the Internet and can't think of a time they've been out.

I don't know about specifically London because there are "Metro Tescos" there and they tend to be smaller than the mega-Tesco I use. But I'm sure there MUST be a fresh grocer in London that sells them...London seems to have a much better stock of fesh foods.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 09:53:04 PM »
I've seen blueberries at lots of fruit stalls here in London.  There are tons of them around Oxford Street (especially past Oxford Circus towards Bond Street Tube)...I suppose maybe not so many now in the winter.  Tesco's should have them tho!

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 04:33:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! (My husband is especially grateful--he's looking forward to having homemade blueberry muffins for the first time.) Tesco DOES have them, and I've just put in an order online. Blueberry muffins coming up... :)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 08:08:01 PM »
I'm a bit too lazy at the moment to make the homemade blueberry muffins, I just wanted to slip in that Tesco's Blueberry Muffins are really good, as well as the double chocolate chip ones. I've had other "American style" blueberry muffins that were just vile. Fabulous Baking Brothers muffins are good too, if you can find them. :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2003, 09:13:05 PM »
Dori, thank you for posting about blueberries. My husband read my post about how much I love them and later that day he brought me home a box. We had blueberries in our porridge! Yum! Yum!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2003, 06:21:21 PM »
I'm not in London (I'm in Essex), but I bought some fresh blueberries today at Safeway.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2003, 12:04:24 AM »
I bumped into this today:

======

Avalon Farm – Tilford Road, Churt, nr. Farnham, Surrey GU10 2LL      Tel. 01428-605161 for recorded information (e.g., what's in season), or 01428-604842 to speak with someone.

Avalon Farm grow blueberries (Dutch and American varieties) which you can pick when they are in season (ring first to be sure the fruit you want is ready for picking). They also grow pumpkins and a variety of squashes, including acorn squash.

At Avalon Farm, they are open everyday from 9am-5pm.

========
Essington Fruit Farm -- Bognop Rd., Essington, Wolverhampton WV11 2BA      Tel: 01902-735724

Essington Fruit Farm grow blueberries (and other berries) which you can pick when they are in season (ring first to be sure the fruit you want is ready for picking). They also grow pumpkins, little gem squash, onion squash, and a variety of gourds.

At Essington Fruit Farm, the hours are: in summer -- Farm Shop: 9am-5pm everyday; Café: 11am-3pm everyday except Mondays; in winter -- Farm Shop: 9am-5pm, everyday except Mondays; Café: 11am-3pm, Saturdays and Sundays only.

====
James Trehane & Sons -- Stapehill Road, Hampreston, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 7ND
Tel: 01202-873490

James Trehane & Sons grow blueberries which you can pick when they are in season (ring first to be sure they're ready for picking).
====
:)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2003, 12:06:40 AM by admin »

Sponsored Links