Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Credit & Immigration  (Read 608 times)

• Liked: 0
UK Credit & Immigration
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:12:37 PM »
I went to Uni in the UK and then moved back to the US (I'm American) for a couple of years.  It's been 5 years since moving and unfortunately there was a mix-up in getting the phone/internet disconnected (I called them, ordered a disconnect, and they didn't) when I left the UK and my account went into delinquency and was canceled.  The account was set up for direct debit from our bank account which had its last hundred quid drained by the direct debit and was thus also closed for going into the negative.

I'm embarrassed to tell the story above.  Because of my travels following my studies, I didn't find out about this whole debacle until months after it happened.

Now it is 5 years later.  That bill was never paid.  I don't know what happened to it.  I don't know how to find out about it - I don't have any information regarding the account or anything.  I imagine it was written off?

I am starting to look at work in the UK.  Is this going to be an issue for the visa?

I have tried to check my credit in the UK via Experian (I believe), but since I don't have an address - it doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

Re: UK Credit & Immigration
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
Under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

The 6 year clock would be restarted from zero if during that time you acknowledged the debt in writing to the lender, e.g. by enquiring about it, so be careful!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:27:28 PM by contrex »

• Liked: 0
Re: UK Credit & Immigration
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:32:18 PM »
Wow.  Thanks so much for the information, I can wait another year - and knowing that contact resets it to zero - VERY IMPORTANT.

I appreciate your advice!

Sponsored Links