Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: From Toledo to Hertfordshire  (Read 1292 times)

From Toledo to Hertfordshire
« on: January 08, 2003, 07:32:48 PM »
This is my second year here in the UK but I just found this site the other day.  I am teaching in a primary school in Herts after teaching in Ohio for many years.  It is wonderful finding so many Americans over here.

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: From Toledo to Hertfordshire
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 07:37:24 PM »
Welcome Idgie,

Nice to have you join the group...  where is Hertfordshire? in the south by chance?

shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 12:08:21 AM »
Herfordshire is north of London, so I guess it is considered in the Southeast.

• having one of those days...
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 01:20:12 PM »
hi idgie! welcome to the site!

how do you find teaching here as opposed to ohio? do your students find your accent strange?

what part of hertfordshire are you in? i'm in bucks, about 10 miles from watford.

glad you finally found this site! it's been really helpful for me, meeting other americans here :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 03:52:29 PM »
Hello idgie, we met briefly in chat last week. :) Glad you joined us.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to go through to teach here? We've gotten a few requests for that information, I think it'd be useful to have a webpage devoted to that subject.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 09:39:32 PM »
Idgie... what part of Herts do you live in?  I moved to Berkhamsted a year and half ago from Texas.  I work for an American consulting firm, Hewitt Associates, in Hemel Hempstead, and I love living in England.  Living a bit north of London is quite advantagous as well.

Just wanted to say Howdy or Hiya...  
-Brad

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 03:41:23 AM »
hiya Idgie and Turtle ...welcome to UKY!!

hey Idgie, did you have to take any special course to teach in the UK?  humm what do your pupils think about your accent?  

Turtle are you here on a temp assignment?  did you bring any family along?  What part of Texas are ya from?  

glad to see ya both settling in here ....any questions, please be sure to ask.  

and most importantly....keep on postin!!  

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 10:58:23 AM »
hi idgie! i'm a fellow ohioan too! i currently live in london now, and i haven't been here quite as long as you have, but i plan to be a teacher someday. what do you have to go through to teach here? oh-and welcome!

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 01:11:30 PM »
Sorry everyone who has written.  I have not been on this site for a while.  Teaching here has much more paper work with all the government targets, SATS tests and paper shuffling.  The children are the same and the curriculum is similar to back home.
I taught for 28 years in the US and was a principal of a school for 3 but was still not qualified when I came here.  There were lots of hoops to jump through and I had to be observed over and over by the University of Hertfordshire.  Every time they apologised again and again but it is government regulations and had to be done.  I am now qualified and am teaching as a newly qualified teacher and am still being monitored, mentored and observed.  After this year I will be a real teacher  ;)  I said that my parents will be glad that I finally have a profession. LOL  Seems like over here you have to prove again and again that you are good enough.  The British teachers told me that it doesn't stop here cos they still have to prove this.  So I guess that it is just the way it is.
I would be gald to help anyone else who has questions about teaching over here.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2003, 01:12:58 PM »
Sleepy.  Welcome to England.  Where do you come from in Ohio?

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2003, 01:15:17 PM »
Turtle,
I live in Hemel Hempstead and work in Shenley.  England is good but I miss the shopping in the evenings.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2003, 04:17:04 PM »
Oh fudge...everybody's asked the questions I wanted to ask... :P  OoooOOOooh, wait, I've got one!   ;D What subject(s) do you teach?  hehe. ;)
Oh and hiyas!
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2003, 12:18:50 AM »
I teach in a Primary/Junior school so I teach everything.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab