Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I hate boilers!  (Read 1365 times)

• Matthew's two favourite things - chocolate & !!
  • Liked: 0
I hate boilers!
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »
I completely lost it this morning.  Our boiler broke down yet again - and I had to ask for a call out for the 8th time in the last two months.  The noise it makes is terrifying and the front of the boiler blows off with the vibrations!! The last engineer was horrified when he heard it (of course it hadn't done it in front of an engineer before that and they always think you're exaggerating!).  So no hot water or heating again >:( and two children to get up and dressed.

The wretched thing is only 3 years old and I just want a new one - I'm sick of them repairing it and it breaking down again. 

So I finally lost patience with it all and when the poor woman on customer services offered me time slots which were no use to man nor beast I just lost it completely.  Not her fault poor woman and I hate people who shout at those who aren't responsible but I did then cry - so maybe she felt sorry for me??  I feel guilty now but still angry :-[

Sorry just wanted to vent.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
Re: I hate boilers!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »
The wretched thing is only 3 years old

Some of the latest units do seem to have acquired a reputation for being unreliable.   Like everything else these days, much seems to come down to building everything as cheaply as possible, cutting corners on the costs, and these are the results.

The latest boilers might be very energy efficient, but something like the old Vulcan Continental boilers of 30 to 40 years ago are much more reliable, and just keep going and going year after year with minimal maintenance. 

Not much help to you directly, I know, but you are not alone.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:12:22 PM »
Hopefull it's still under warranty.  Mind if I ask its make and model -- morbid curiosity as I work in the field.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »

So I finally lost patience with it all and when the poor woman on customer services offered me time slots which were no use to man nor beast I just lost it completely.  Not her fault poor woman and I hate people who shout at those who aren't responsible but I did then cry - so maybe she felt sorry for me??  I feel guilty now but still angry :-[

Who could blame you for blowing up (like the boiler?  ;))  Usually when I get to that point I ask them to put me through to a supervisor and scream at him/her.  Doesn't get you any more immediate action but at least I feel less guilty.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
I had a similar experience so I feel your pain.
I went without my boiler for 4 weeks before someone took a look at it and told me that I need a new boiler (DUH).
They rescheduled and delayed 2 times before I finally got my new boiler installed.
If it was in the summer I wouldn't put up with much of a fuss but once it gets cold.....
I feel for you!  The poor kiddies too :<

• Matthew's two favourite things - chocolate & !!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 01:08:34 PM »
To the interested party  - it is a Worcester Combi-Boiler - not sure which one though.

He didn't manage to fix it yesterday and is coming back with parts today.  However, I'm not holding my breath.  Give it two weeks and I'll be back on the phone.  At least the guy yesterday did say that he thought it was approaching the point of writing it off and looking at a replacement!  Not under guarantee (that lasts 3 years) but we have this Home Care thing with British Gas (just as well or the last few weeks would have been very, very expensive) whereby when a fairly new boiler (under 5 years) is not repairable they will replace.  Here's hoping!

With any luck I might manage a shower tonight and a load of washing! :)

Sponsored Links