Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Post Office rant!  (Read 6097 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Post Office rant!
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »
Actually, you have a point.  I regularly try to shag my male clients in front of their girlfriends. 

Must be a British thing after all.

Vicky

Well, that answers the question of why Spence is always so happy to accompany me to my MediVisas appointments but nowhere else. :D
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 01:00:16 PM »
Why?  It didn't even happen to you.

It's happened to me and it bugs. Not in a post office, and I doubt the guy was flirting with the hubby, but when we were in Curry's the salesman kept directing the answers to the questions I was asking to hubby, that is when he was actually paying attention to what I was saying at all.

I certainly would not recommend having a go at the woman, but not because I don't think she was being rude, (I'm definitely casting my vote with her being a cow) but because no purpose would be served by antagonizing an employee of a post office in a small community.
And if you threw a party

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 01:15:34 PM »
It's happened to me and it bugs. Not in a post office, and I doubt the guy was flirting with the hubby, but when we were in Curry's the salesman kept directing the answers to the questions I was asking to hubby, that is when he was actually paying attention to what I was saying at all.

That is a common trait of male sales staff in tech retail, cars etc. They talk to the guy and rattle off a lot of tech jargon. They may turn to the woman and say "This TV will be easy to dust"...

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
That is a common trait of male sales staff in tech retail, cars etc. They talk to the guy and rattle off a lot of tech jargon. They may turn to the woman and say "This TV will be easy to dust"...

And please please let it be that should that ever happen to me I'll have enough presence of mind to turn to my hubby and say "See, hun? No extra work for you at all." :D
And if you threw a party

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »

Well, as I pointed out before, women do this to other women as well (as in the original post office incident) which is absolutely infuriating.

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 01:44:56 PM »
In a customer service environment, such a technique would be judged somewhat deficient (at least by me) but in village sub post offices the calibre of staff is very often limited by the available labour pool e.g. the owner's sister in law.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »
I have to admit, in spite of the lack of knowledge on how to send packages internationally that the women have in our post office (I don't think they have had much experience with it before), they are always extremely nice to me.  When I first moved here and was sending off applications, they always wished me luck, then a few weeks later I stopped in to mail a card to a friend in the USA, and they asked me if any of my applications went through, had I gotten a job, etc.  I thought it was really sweet.  But I usually don't go in there with my hot hubby... hehe!!  ;D

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 05:03:47 PM »
Well, as I pointed out before, women do this to other women as well (as in the original post office incident) which is absolutely infuriating.

I think people do it to others, men and women. And while I understand Mindy's point about service people occasionally doing so inedvertently, or without intention to offend, I think that for the most part, being on the recieving side of it is unpleasant and uncomfortable. I mean, unless there are distractions coming from all sides, is paying attention to two people in conversation very difficult? I've never been in customer service so I can't judge from that angle, but I've been in conversation with two people before and completely ignoring one while focusing on the other seems kinda rude to me.
And if you threw a party

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »

And please please let it be that should that ever happen to me I'll have enough presence of mind to turn to my hubby and say "See, hun? No extra work for you at all." :D

Ha! I would say that!!!

Kind of like the other day a male acquaintance was trying to find a gift for his wife and said "Oh Laura, you're a woman, what do they want for Christmas?" and I said, "Oh my list includes an engineering measuring set, a mechanic's tool kit, and a bunch of materials/polymers engineering books" and he goes "Huh????????"
 ;D ;D ;D

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 31
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
Re the credit card bit, sometimes Post Offices don't accept credit cards full stop, only debit cards. None of the POs around me take credit cards. So it may not have been a foreign card thing- just that they only take UK debit cards and all of those have a chip.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2008, 07:56:33 PM »
Depending upon how much fuss you wish to make about it, this is something which often needs to be pointed out to sales staff (not just at the Post Office but at any store) and you might want to insist that they check this with a manager or supervisor.

Many have gotten so used to the "chip & PIN" system on U.K. cards that they seem to have forgotten that it was only a very short time ago it was still normal to swipe the card and then sign the voucher, and not that many years ago when small establishments would still do the whole process manually on an imprinter. 

The merchant agreements for MasterCard, Visa, etc. usually state that by signing up for card services you agree to accept all applicable cards bearing the name.  The documentation supplied by the bank to the merchant will set out the procedures they are supposed to follow for "unusual" situations. 

I usually make it a point to tell the cashier it needs to be swiped, and usually if they don't know how to do it, they ask someone who does.  I've never run into the problem before. 

Re the credit card bit, sometimes Post Offices don't accept credit cards full stop, only debit cards. None of the POs around me take credit cards. So it may not have been a foreign card thing- just that they only take UK debit cards and all of those have a chip.
Considering the Visa/Mastercard logos on the door, I'm pretty sure they should have taken it.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 02:19:36 AM »
maybe your hubby should of did somthing I mean i dunno if he knew you were upset, maybe he should of stepped in..and said somthing to that lady like you know my wife is doing the mailing not me and step back.. ::) somtimes we as people lead other people on by not putting a stop to the flirting..not saying he was leading her on but if he maybe just gave her the ''eye'' not interested look. lol

Sponsored Links