Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: spouses not invited your husbands or wive's company Christmas party  (Read 24569 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: spouses not invited your husbands or wive's company Christmas party
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »
 it's an hour and 15 min commute to his job and most people live around there.
nevermind, was just asking if it was a normal thing not to allow spouses. guess i am old fashioned
be curious

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 01:56:38 PM »
I dunno. I always enjoyed meeting people's spouses. I suppose it just depends upon your personality and how fun the party is.

I do think it's pretty weird to go to the effort of having a black tie for the employees and NOT even having the option of the spouses paying to come.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
Yep... totally normal not to invite spouses... thank goodness!
I reckon people are more fun when their 'other half' isn't around.   :)

• From Texas to Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 02:33:19 PM »
We just got our Christmas party invite & spouses aren't invited.  I work for the public sector, so this really didn't surprise me.

However, my husband's company is having a 'January ball' where spouses are invited.  Totally random, I think.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 02:39:08 PM »

I do think it's pretty weird to go to the effort of having a black tie for the employees and NOT even having the option of the spouses paying to come.

Considering the cost of some of these affairs, I would think that giving people an option to pay for an extra seat would discriminate against those employees with lower household incomes. A black tie work party is meant to benefit the workers who couldn't afford to attend a black tie event on their own.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:41:57 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »
hmmm but then they still have to spend their hard earn money on a party dress or buying (like my husband did)/renting a tux!
be curious

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
Considering the cost of some of these affairs, I would think that giving people an option to pay for an extra seat would discriminate against those employees with lower household incomes. A black tie work party is meant to benefit the workers who couldn't afford to attend a black tie event on their own.

I've done event planning. You can have a 'black tie' event without making it cost a bomb.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 3
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »
We aren't allowed to bring spouses to our Christmas party, our company usually does something good, and to be honest, I wouldn't want my husband there.

This year they are taking us away on a two day trip, for a short conference in the daytime, and a party at night. The only catch is they aren't telling us where we are going until we show at up at the coach on the day. Should be pretty good!

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »
I guess I'm just used to the 'no spouse' thing.  We don't take the husbands to our work do because we need them to come collect us when we're drunk. :) And I've only been to one work do with my husband and it was awful.  I've no desire to ever go again.

• British and Texan (and ape)
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »
I guess I'm just used to the 'no spouse' thing.  We don't take the husbands to our work do because we need them to come collect us when we're drunk. :)

HILARIOUS!!!

Our company is doing a "guests invited" Christmas party, which they have also done for previous get togethers.  It's a small and friendly company, so my DH has been along to a few get togethers already (including company sponsored events and privately organised ones) and he is well and truly part of the group, so he's looking forward to our upcoming Christmas 'do to see familiar folks again.

Back to Mindy's comment though, one of my colleagues was telling me about when her husband had to collect her from a work 'do several months ago that he didn't attend for whatever reason (not because he wasn't invited though) and she had drunk so much that she felt sick the whole time he was driving her home, and eventually had to get him to pull over so she could literally be sick!

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 08:48:28 PM »
I reckon people are more fun when their 'other half' isn't around.   :)

I think so as well!

My husband wouldn't attend even if he was invited.  Same goes for me. 

• Liked: 3
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 08:59:13 PM »
Back to Mindy's comment though, one of my colleagues was telling me about when her husband had to collect her from a work 'do several months ago that he didn't attend for whatever reason (not because he wasn't invited though) and she had drunk so much that she felt sick the whole time he was driving her home, and eventually had to get him to pull over so she could literally be sick!

Thats a normal night out for lots of people...
 ;D

• Liked: 5
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
hmmm but then they still have to spend their hard earn money on a party dress or buying (like my husband did)/renting a tux!

It is far more common in the UK to have a DJ (tux).  Everyone of my male friends has one.  It is as normal, IME, as a suit. 

I have enough of a range of dresses now, that I rarely buy a new one.  Most women I know are like that as well.

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 07:13:38 AM »
It is far more common in the UK to have a DJ (tux).  Everyone of my male friends has one.  It is as normal, IME, as a suit. 

I have enough of a range of dresses now, that I rarely buy a new one.  Most women I know are like that as well.
Not for my husband!  He didn't even have a suit til he needed one when his step-dad passed away right before I met him.

I don't own a single a dress, but I should in case such an occasion popped up!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 09:10:09 AM »
I'd love it if spouses weren't invited to hubby's office party, these event are just downright painful.  As the bosses spouse I am expected to go, to sit and smile and be charming all night in a room full of drunks.  As the designated driver I can't drink to numb the pain of it all and after dinner he makes the rounds of all the tables leaving me to sit there and fill like a complete idiot.  The past couple of years the party has been at a hotel and most of the employees including DH get a room and go home the next day, that way I can leave just after dinner.

Sponsored Links