Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Switching to Unmarried Partner - Update  (Read 43772 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Switching to Unmarried Partner - Update
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2010, 10:11:27 PM »
Hello, I have a question regarding switching from a student to an unmarried partner.

I've been a student in the UK since 2007, but due to financial and medical issues I have been unable to complete my course and study and now am not only unable to fund my final few years, but my visa runs out in January 2012. Because of my financial situation I am being forced to withdraw from my university and course.

However, my boyfriend and I seem to fit all the criteria for the unmarried partners visa. We've been living together for 3 years (and been dating for going on 7 years, so it would be hard argued that this is a convinience match), I've recently turned 21, there are no other relationships to speak of, I've followed immigration laws, we're not related, ect ect. The only concerns for me is that we are both currently unemplyed, though my boyfriend has applied for several part time jobs. He is a full time college student getting bursery money, we live in his mother's home (it IS a council house,and SHE is on benifits) and pay for utility bills (electrics,gas,phone bills,internet), but are under an agreement that we will not pay rent. We also have no dependants.

The thing that concerns me is that we live in a house that is paid for by a woman on benefits, and he gets bursery funding while at college (and is looking for a part time job). Does his college funding count as any form of benifits, and would us both activly seeking emplyment be enough to prove we can support ourselves? As it stands, we HAVE been supporting ourselves for a very long time on his 400£ a month, with ocassional aid from other family members when the unexpected turns up.

This is about the only thing that worries me as far as the application goes (though if you guys see anything else I should be concerned with please let me know!). My boyfriend will also be attending university next year if his application to med school goes well. Would this also be taken into concideration?

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
New rule in the pipeline for UP's of T2?  Expect the requirement to provide 2 years of documented joint commitments!   :o 

That's gotta be tough!  Who in the world has that? 

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
So now I am confused . . .  hasn't that been the requirement all along - 2 years documented proof of living in a relationship the same as a marriage?  I just assumed leases, council tax, etc, would suffice?

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
So now I am confused . . .  hasn't that been the requirement all along - 2 years documented proof of living in a relationship the same as a marriage?  I just assumed leases, council tax, etc, would suffice?

No previously you just had to prove that you resided together at the same addresses for 2 years so you could use seperate bank statements, seperate Dr Bills & Such. Now the Requirement is 2 years JOINT Commitments, like a joint lease, joint bank accounts & joint bills.

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
That's got to be a tough one.

For what it's worth, the first recorded refusal on these grounds was issued by the NYC consulate.

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Well, we have a joint lease, but everything else is separate, because it is easier for us to split the bills that way.  So it seems as though all of our saving stuff over the past year and a half (it will be 2 years end of this summer) will have been in vain?  Don't a lot of couples have their own names on certain bills?  And it would never have occurred to me to get my name put on his bank account when I first opened mine as a student.  Will just a joint lease be enough? 

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2011, 11:46:06 PM »
That seems fine to me.

Even though we're seeing refusals on the new joint commitments grounds, I don't see how such a difficult requirement can persist without some softening.  It's not going to work the way it's been conceived. 

• Liked: 31
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »
 Garry, did you say this is just for unmarried partners of T2 holders, or is it for all UPs?
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
Garry, did you say this is just for unmarried partners of T2 holders, or is it for all UPs?

Yes, it's currently about up's of T2's where it's documented.  But we're seeing refusals on up's in the family path on the same grounds.  It leads me to think that the guidance hasn't been properly synched up with their internal guidance.  It could be that.  Or it could be that suddenly a bunch of ECO's have suddenly gone off the rails.

NYC, for example, is characterised by high-quality decision making and doesn't just refuse applications on a whim or a misinterpretation of the rules. 

So I'm adding it to advice until the whole thing gets sorted.

• Robert and Amanda
Cold Feet
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »
My Sweetheart and I applied for a Fiancee visa in November of 2010 and after a long, brutal wait I finally got my visa on the 17th of January.  I landed in Scotland on the 20th, after clearing out my place, selling my car and quitting my job. 

He and I have both been married before and have gotten the short end of the stick.  Now that we're facing the barrel of the gun, so to speak, the idea of another marriage scares the daylights out of both of us - though him more than me I'm afraid.

We're desperate at this point to see if there is anything we can do to change the situation. I currently have 53 days left on my visa, and we have no plans to get married (though at one time we did).  I don't want to pressure him or guilt him into anything, as that's not who or what I am.

Is there ANY possible way of changing my visa to a U.P. visa at this point, without having to go back to Los Angeles for 6 months?  I don't want to leave, and he doesn't want me to go, but we desperately need options!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Met Online - November 2003
***SEVEN YEARS LATER ***
Applied Online
- Nov. 11, 2010
Los Angeles Non-Priority.
Biometrics
- Nov. 19, 2010
Application Sent Overnight
- Nov. 19, 2010
Email confirmation of processing
- Nov. 30, 2010
Email VISA APPROVED
- January 14, 2011
Visa in hand!
- January 17, 2011
Landed in the Glasgow Airport
- January 20, 2011, 2:45pm

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
If you haven't been living together in a relationship like marriage for at least 2 years, you don't qualify for the unmarried partner visa.  I'm really sorry, but if you don't get married and apply for FLR(M), then you will have to leave the UK before your visa expires.  If you overstay, then you may not be able to return to the UK even to visit for as many as ten years. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 3589
Re: Cold Feet
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2011, 08:22:04 PM »
Is there ANY possible way of changing my visa to a U.P. visa at this point, without having to go back to Los Angeles for 6 months?  I don't want to leave, and he doesn't want me to go, but we desperately need options!

The problem with this is that in order to qualify for an unmarried partner visa, you have to prove that you have lived together at the same address in a 'relationship akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years (24 consecutive months). As you have only lived together since January 2011, you can't actually qualify for an unmarried partner visa :(.

Unfortunately, I think your only options are going to be:

a) Get married and apply for an FLR(M) visa to stay in the UK as the spouse of a UK citizen

b) Leave the UK before your visa expires and then maybe try to get a different kind of visa to come back to the UK, such as a Tier 2 work visa or a Tier 4 student visa (although work visas are becoming much more difficult to get these days and student visas require you to have a large amount of tuition/living costs available to you).

ETA: x-posted with historyenne

« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
Question....

Hypothetically speaking, say I went to the UK as a visitor for 6 months or less, came back to the US, did some schooling for a few months in the US, and went back to the UK as an year exchange student and stayed with my boyfriend(if it is even possible to stay with a boyfriend under an exchange program), and somehow after that, added another 6 months in, is it possible to add up all these visits/living situations and say that we have been together two years?

Does living with your boyfriend under a visitor visa count as "living together" requirement for UP visa?

I have been reading this thread but I think the earlier posts might be outdated now because of changes to the requirements on the UK border agency site...

Thank you!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2011, 07:25:20 AM »
The two years need to be consecutive.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2011, 10:29:17 AM »
time living together while on a student visa counts, we have friends who did that.
Maroon Passport Club!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab