Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sensitve to comments about my accent lately  (Read 5603 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: Sensitve to comments about my accent lately
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »
Haw, I don't think she was REALLY meaning it... but I didn't have a clue how to respond. I felt awkward.

It took me a while to overcome the "Why on earth would you marry a Geordie???" jokes I used to get from the southerners.  I took offence for a while, but would just smile and say "Because it was the best thing I have ever done!" or sometimes I would just chuckle half-heartedly and change the subject.  It is awkward when someone makes a joke you don't particularly "get" which could be taken as an insult, especially if the delivery is dry, but just smile and shrug it off.  That's what I do!  There are plenty of times people make jokes I don't get, to be quite honest, I just smile and try to pretend that I know what's going on, then ask DH about it later!   :P

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 12:33:11 PM »
Haw, I don't think she was REALLY meaning it... but I didn't have a clue how to respond. I felt awkward.

I wouldn't have known how to respond either. I would probably just have given a little fake laugh or something.

I'm not good at insult humour; I'm always afraid I might accidently hit a subject that is sensitive for that person, so I won't insult someone even as a joke. (For example, what if your husband had spent a large part of his life being teased for his looks and as a result had spent loads of money on psychiatry and plastic surgery.)

I once went to visit the home of a woman I met in a dance class in the US, where I met her boyfriend and some of her friends, and all they did the whole time was insult each other - what I would consider to be really nasty insults - the kind of thing that I would hold off saying to someone in a fight because I would be afraid of regretting it later.  They obviously got along and didn't take it seriously (otherwise they wouldn't be friends and she and the boyfriend would've broken up a long time ago), but it was just very strange and uncomfortable for me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:34:59 PM by sweetpeach »

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »
I once went to visit the home of a woman I met in a dance class in the US, where I met her boyfriend and some of her friends, and all they did the whole time was insult each other - what I would consider to be really nasty insults - the kind of thing that I would hold off saying to someone in a fight because I would be afraid of regretting it later.  They obviously got along and didn't take it seriously (otherwise they wouldn't be friends and she and the boyfriend would've broken up a long time ago), but it was just very strange and uncomfortable for me.

Awwwwwwkward!   :-[  That sounds awful. 
DH and his friends always make fun of each other's hair and clothes, taking "the piss," really.  But, no one here speaks to me that way.  I suppose they know I might take it the wrong way or get my feelings hurt.  But it's just the way everyone is around here.  I must admit it is a bit funny to hear my MIL taking the mick out of my FIL for having a comb-over!  But I would never tease him about it.... well, to his face!   :P

Sponsored Links