Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: California - or bust?  or is that burst?  (Read 1177 times)

• Hi Ya!
    • Welcome to our website
  • Liked: 0
California - or bust?  or is that burst?
« on: January 14, 2003, 12:24:41 AM »
Another Californian has joined the ranks.... [smiley=gorgeous.gif]

I thought I better stick my 'Hi, how's it hangin' dude?' in here.
I'm Jody and live in Wroughton near Swindon in Wiltshire, by way of San Francisco bay area, originally from sunny  [smiley=sunny.gif]southern California near Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley.  How's that for a mouthfull?
I live with my English husband, Eddie, whom I met 4 years ago and have been married to for 2 1/2 years. [smiley=smitten.gif]  He's NOT British... ask him!  He'll say he's ENGLISH!  Sheesh!   ;)

Anyway, I have 4 grown children, 3 boys who live in the So. Cal. area and my daughter who is married to a Navy helicopter pilot and stationed in Japan with MY two grandchildren.

I'm here and lovin' it in England!

The spark in your soul is the centre of your whole existence
And it is bigger and stronger than any government or king
                                              -Runrig-

• Garden Butterflies
Re: California - or bust?  or is that burst?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 02:04:55 AM »
Hi there Jody,

Shel here...  seems to be a rash of Wiltshire folks dropping in...LOL!  sure that will Make LisaE happy...

I have a few months before I make my way to the Northeast of England in Northumberland...  then someday I hope to visit Lisa and Wiltshire...

Enjoy the forum

PS, My fiance is also English...  not British...LOL!
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 11:20:29 AM »
Hi and Welcome!

I am from San Diego, but I did live in Orange County for about 9 years.

Although I don\t live in England yet, I am in Sweden. I am looking for work in the UK though.

For what its worth, many poeple I've met from the UK, differentiate themselves. They want to be known for the specific country they are from, not just British. Natural I guess.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Edmund Burke
www.lostinsweden.com

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 03:33:17 PM »
Hey Jody

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Greetings to you and Wroughton.  I think we'll have to have a Wiltshire get together with LisaE and the other new gal.  I pick Lisa's house because I imagine it's the largest.

So you worked in Redwood Shores? My sister lives there. You have to drive about 3 miles down this straight street and she's at the back in these ultra mod condos.  Really nice place.  I was just there in Sept to visit and have a snoop.  Did you like working in the Bay Area? I may be biased but I think it's wonderful.  Love the City to bits and miss being there a lot. Not that I could remotely afford to live there anymore.....Out of my league now and I don't know how people pay their mortgages there.

Glad you are enjoying Wiltshire.  Are you working?  If so, what are you doing?  What do your kids think of you moving here? Mad Mommy?

Sorry it took so long to write; i'm not normally so rude.

Stephanie
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 04:44:23 PM »
For sure we'll have to do something here!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Hi Ya!
    • Welcome to our website
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 11:57:44 PM »
Hey Jody

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Greetings to you and Wroughton.  I think we'll have to have a Wiltshire get together with LisaE and the other new gal.  I pick Lisa's house because I imagine it's the largest.

So you worked in Redwood Shores? My sister lives there. You have to drive about 3 miles down this straight street and she's at the back in these ultra mod condos.  Really nice place.  I was just there in Sept to visit and have a snoop.  Did you like working in the Bay Area? I may be biased but I think it's wonderful.  Love the City to bits and miss being there a lot. Not that I could remotely afford to live there anymore.....Out of my league now and I don't know how people pay their mortgages there.

Glad you are enjoying Wiltshire.  Are you working?  If so, what are you doing?  What do your kids think of you moving here? Mad Mommy?

Sorry it took so long to write; i'm not normally so rude.

Stephanie

Hi Steph,

Yeah, I'm up for another Wiltshire gathering.  It's been awhile since we got together.

I like San Francisco and the weather there.  I liked working in the bay area.  I worked at Oracle in Redwood Shores.  I lived in Hayward across the bay and I didn't like the commute across the San Mateo bridge every day, though.  I am NOT a commuter.  I currently work 2 1/2 miles from my home at Nationwide Building Society on the technology helpline.  It's not what I planned on doing and it's not what I hoped to earn, but it's close to home and I only work 7 hours a day and well, there are lots of perks to working there.
One thing I didn't realize until I had been here about a year is how stressed out I had been.  From working in a stressed society!  Here, life is much slower paced as not as competitive.  It's not so much keeping up with Joneses.  I am much more laid back....ask my husband!  He'll agree.

What do my kids think of my moving here?   Well, all my kids love my husband, so that helps.  They know I am happy, so I think they are willing to go along with the idea more.  My daughter is busy in Japan with her family, so I think she's ok with it.  My two older sons (27 and 23), who share an apartment together, seem to be fine about it.  My youngest son (21), well... he's probably taken it the hardest of them all.  He doesn't let on much, but he lets his brothers know that he felt abandoned... even though he's the one that threatened to move out the whole year before I decided to come here....  (kids!)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 09:55:31 PM by Jody »
The spark in your soul is the centre of your whole existence
And it is bigger and stronger than any government or king
                                              -Runrig-

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab