Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to fix Duck?  (Read 1576 times)

How to fix Duck?
« on: January 14, 2003, 07:06:18 PM »
I am looking for recipes to fix duck.  Does any one have any good recipes? Thanks.

• having one of those days...
  • Liked: 0
Re: How to fix Duck?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 12:40:24 PM »
sorry, not of much help here.  the only times i've eaten duck is at a chinese restaurant (my sister loves roast duck with plum sauce).  i have also seen shredded duck spring rolls.

once, while watching ready, steady, cook i saw one of the chefs fry it with the skin on (crispy-skin) and make a sweet berry sauce...similar to plum sauce, i guess.  chinese hoisin sauce also works well.  serve with steamed won bok (chinese cabbage, can't remember what it's called here, but you know, the oblong-shaped one).  and steaming white rice!

you can try http://www.recipelink.com/index.html for more ideas.  otherwise, here is a PennDutch recipe from my 'reading terminal marketplace' cookbook.  haven't tried it, though. it says sauerkraut complements the richness of the meat.  you can probably adjust it for filets.

Roast Muscovy Duck with Sauerkraut and Herbs

1 muscovy duck, 4-5 lbs.
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1teaspoon dried sage
2 lbs sauerkraut, drained and rinsed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (or 176 degrees C).  Thoroughly rinse duck inside and out, and pat dry. Remove excess fat from cavity. season the duck with oregano, marjoram and sage, and stuff cavity with the sauerkraut as much as it will comfortably fill it.  tie the legs with string.

add remaining sauerkraut to bottom of roasting pan and place the duck on top.  cover and roast until done, approx 2-1/2 hours.  check for tenderness/doneness by seeing if the legs wiggle. if it moves easily, the duck is fully cooked.

remove the duck from the oven, let stand for a few minutes, then carve into slices and serve with sauerkraut.

serves 4.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 06:00:21 PM »
I make roast duck all the time as it's one of my favourites. The key to duck is you've got to cook it in a pan with a grill on it. Otherwise you'll end up with a soggy mess. You just won't believe how much duck fat will pour out. It's dead simple though. You just pierce the duck all over with a large fork quite deeply so that the fat can drain out. Don't put anything on it as it's fatty enough; just add salt and pepper. Then cook it like any other bird at 30 minutes per pound - higher up in the oven. I'd start off at GM 7 for 20 minutes until it's got a crispy skin, then lower it to GM 4 according to it's weight.  And it's very nice with a cherry and red wine sauce.  OR an orange sauce.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

Islandgirl and Hopster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 08:59:15 PM »
Thank you for the great ideas and hints. I am having a small dinner party for 6 people and you have given me some good ideas on fixing my duck.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 09:54:08 PM »
A word of caution for you. One duck will not feed 6 people. They may look a good size, but they shrink like you wouldn't believe and they are really a mass of all bones. I had a dinner party for 4 and the duck did not stretch to feed us all very adequately.  I would do two ducks, side by side. Either that or really do lots of courses (starter, cheeseboard, salad, dessert) to make up for small duck servings.  Trouble is, it tastes so good that you want large portions!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• having one of those days...
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2003, 01:27:43 PM »
geez...now i feel like having some roast duck...

hopster, i forgot about how fatty duck is! all that juice when you bite into it. i've never prepared it, i think i might try it on my grill pan like you said.

think i'll have to go to the chinese restaurant soon, though!

good luck with your dinner, ms bj!
and happy birthday!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2003, 01:29:28 PM by islandgirl »
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab