Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I miss ebay and online shopping  (Read 3911 times)

• Liked: 0
I miss ebay and online shopping
« on: December 19, 2008, 01:49:07 PM »
I love ebay and have found it really sad that I can't really shop on it over here.  I mean, a lot of sellers on ebay would shop internationally or at least to the UK, but they always state that "duties and custom fees are the responsibility of the buyer".  And plus, I don't like the idea of things being shipped all the way over here over the Atlantic.  Mail is never a guarantee and that is more the case when you're shipping internationally.  *sigh* for now if I want something really badly I have it shipped to my parents house and will pick it up next time I'm there. 

Also, the variety of websites and deals on websites is so much better in the US - but they don't ship overseas.  Well, I tried to order a jacket on Overstock because they ship overseas, but after custom fees, delivery and VAT, it added another £60 to the shipment.  NO THANKS. 

Re: I miss ebay and online shopping
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:51:58 PM »
We do have eBay UK over here...I've used it loads.  And you can find most things on UK online shopping sites, of course at UK prices though.

I love online shopping in the UK because due to it being a small island shipping is usually really fast without having to pay lots extra. :)  edit: except I've just remembered you're in NI which can be really expensive to ship to even from mainland UK!  Which is just silly, IMO.  It's still more cost effective than trying to buy stuff from the States, though.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 01:52:08 PM »
eBay has a UK cousin www.ebay.co.uk  ;D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »
We shop eBay quite a lot over here! We've had good experiences, for the most part. It's a smaller vendor pool,  but they do try hard.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »
I have tried ebay.co.uk, but it's not the same :(

There is so much more variety on ebay.com.... :(

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »
I find everything I want on eBay UK! I've bought and sold and I'm a big fan.  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
except I've just remembered you're in NI which can be really expensive to ship to even from mainland UK!  Which is just silly, IMO.  It's still more cost effective than trying to buy stuff from the States, though.
Heh. Not always. :P

In two years here, I've never been charged customs/duty on a package. And I've never had anything go missing in the mail. :) Other people have had other experiences, of course!

But I do sympathize with things just not being the same.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »
I love ebay and have found it really sad that I can't really shop on it over here.  I mean, a lot of sellers on ebay would shop internationally or at least to the UK, but they always state that "duties and custom fees are the responsibility of the buyer".  And plus, I don't like the idea of things being shipped all the way over here over the Atlantic.  Mail is never a guarantee and that is more the case when you're shipping internationally.  *sigh* for now if I want something really badly I have it shipped to my parents house and will pick it up next time I'm there. 

Also, the variety of websites and deals on websites is so much better in the US - but they don't ship overseas.  Well, I tried to order a jacket on Overstock because they ship overseas, but after custom fees, delivery and VAT, it added another £60 to the shipment.  NO THANKS. 

Sorry you are having a hard time lately.  I read your other post about looking for a job.  It's hard to get settled in sometimes.  Is there anything in Ireland similar to craigslist?  Maybe you could find a new online shopping addiction that delivers to you?  A girl I was talking to the other night mentioned a great site for discount clothing.... www.asos.com.  Not sure if you usually shop for clothes on eBay or whatnot.  Loads of people really get into going to charity shops and carboot sales and finding great deals.  I know it doesn't have the ease of online shopping, but sometimes you can get nice stuff for less cash, which is always a good thing.  Hopefully you will find something new and exciting in your new location that can become a new addiction!

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:17:56 PM »
I'm just being a baby.  :-\\\\

I have an unhealthy addiction to designer purses and shoes, and I always found great deal on ebay.  It's probably a good thing I can't get those things anymore...

• Jewlz

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
I'm just being a baby.  :-\\\\

I have an unhealthy addiction to designer purses and shoes, and I always found great deal on ebay.  It's probably a good thing I can't get those things anymore...

It's ok.... everyone here needs a good whinge now and then....  ;)
You will start feeling better soon! 

• Liked: 36
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »
Hi Belfastgal,

Just a few points -

1. Could you be a little more specific in defining how Ebay UK just isn't the same as Ebay US for that variety? are you talking about staple goods? or more obscure items?

2. Heads up - many products now originate in China and/or other far flung places, they get shipped halfway or more around the planet before touching down in the geographic US. Shipping an item over the pond really isn't such a big deal. You also get strong packaging and good insurance cover to protect you/the item.

3. Customs/VAT - There is always some duty due on good imported into the UK - rates and amounts do vary, as well as some excemptions etc - take a look at the HMRC website for more info on products you may wish to bring over.

4. The USA enjoys (overall) the best pricing in the world - theres no doubt about that, the UK is in all essences a pretty small market, small enough that some exporters don't even bother 'wasting time' selling to UK importers/Businesses. That's the reason for 'less choice' here. You mention a jacket which when added with the VAT and customs charges and shipping make it expensive - I bought over a 2003 F150 Harley Davidson truck and with all the charges and duties worked out a good £15,000 cheaper than buying here. Depends on the product, the demand and the pricing.

5. As already mentioned, your in Northern Ireland and post/shipping charges are higher - something you've got to get used to !

6. Sometimes it can be great to shop as if you were in the USA, get items delivered to a family member and then next time you are over you pick it up. 'Generally' these tend to be more high end/esoteric/high value purchases - most 'normal' type purchases you can do locally.

I'm a Ebay power seller, and also trade internationally (mainly US>UK and China>UK) so it's interesting to me to hear consumer type feedback such as this.

Lastly - shop around for the best shipping deals and email sellers directly if they will ship internationally as a one off after you provide more ID etc. I do this all the time with US sellers and only a few have refused, the other's have done it, even though they say 'US only'

Cheers!, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »
Well, maybe it's the type of products that I search for on ebay.  I usually search for high end items - chanel purses, designer boots, etc.  Stuff that even on ebay end up being over $1000.  Now that I'm out of a job, though, I just like to look, not buy  :)

But I just have found that US ebay has so many more hits on a product when you search it. I guess I'm just disappointed in the number of choices I have.  I guess I have just been spoiled by American prices and choices.   :-\\\\

There are a lot of sellers on ebay that ship internationally, as mentioned before, but again the VAT and customs duties are not guaranteed.  So I guess the bottom line is that I don't want something bad enough to pay the VAT and stuff when I can just get it sent to my parent's house and pick it up when I'm there the next time. 

• Jewlz

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 02:32:19 PM »
Well, maybe it's the type of products that I search for on ebay.  I usually search for high end items - chanel purses, designer boots, etc.  Stuff that even on ebay end up being over $1000.  Now that I'm out of a job, though, I just like to look, not buy  :)

But I just have found that US ebay has so many more hits on a product when you search it. I guess I'm just disappointed in the number of choices I have.  I guess I have just been spoiled by American prices and choices.   :-\\\\

There are a lot of sellers on ebay that ship internationally, as mentioned before, but again the VAT and customs duties are not guaranteed.  So I guess the bottom line is that I don't want something bad enough to pay the VAT and stuff when I can just get it sent to my parent's house and pick it up when I'm there the next time. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are paying over $1000 for the item, then an extra £60 doesn't seem to make much difference, IMO.  It's like dropping a load of money for a Ferrari then worrying about the extra bit of money it costs to ship it over....

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »
lol, no, the £60 was for a $140 jacket on overstock.  The fees on something like a $1000 item may be like, $250.  That's more than I would pay for something that's essentially just shipping. 

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »

Maybe you could try to view it as less competition when you're bidding on something you really want!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab