Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My future inlaws???  (Read 3321 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: My future inlaws???
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 08:09:43 PM »
The last time I went over to their house the man sat and blew smoke in my face, after bf had already told all of them I was allergic. He then sat and talked about how some people have made up diseases, like asthma, which are just all in people's head.  >:( BF's mom just laughed and didn't do anything about it.

I think we might have the same in-laws!!  I'm pregnant and we have a toddler.  We had to stay at my father-in-law's house for a week during which time he'd promised he (and his girlfriend and my sister-in-law) wouldn't smoke in the house.  It lasted a day before every room was filled with smoke constantly.  Despite the fact that I was already sick, have horrible allergies, and, uh, AM PREGNANT!  It made my son sick too!  It was awful.

He also made fun of me behind my back calling me a "princess" and talking about how smoke can't really bother people with allergies and that I was making it up.  Needless to say, he's my least favorite person on this continent.  But there are plenty of other reasons for it too.
10/12/08: Completed and submitted online application for UK spousal visa
10/14/08: Biometrics done (as a walk-in a day early)
10/15/08: Visa application package sent to courier overnight
10/16/08: Application received by courier and delivered to Chicago consulate
10/20/08: Called courier to ask about delays, told it was approved!!
10/21/08: Visa in hand.  Date issued 10/18/08
11/19/08: Flight to Leeds!
3/18/14: Checking service appointment for naturalisation
4/19/14: Naturalisation approved
5/15/14: Citizenship ceremony

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »
The last time I went over to their house the man sat and blew smoke in my face, after bf had already told all of them I was allergic. He then sat and talked about how some people have made up diseases, like asthma, which are just all in people's head.  >:( BF's mom just laughed and didn't do anything about it.

Now I understand!

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »

He also made fun of me behind my back calling me a "princess" and talking about how smoke can't really bother people with allergies and that I was making it up.  Needless to say, he's my least favorite person on this continent.  But there are plenty of other reasons for it too.

Yes it's a myth that people with allergies get bothered by cigarette smoke, and we all know how healthy cigarette smoke is for pregnant women and children! <_<

I don't understand how wanting to protect the lungs of his unborn grandchild makes you a princess! Grr.
I'm a right b**** about smoking, my boyfriend keeps giving up and starting again and I wont let him or anyone smoke in the house or even out the window, It smells bad, it's unhealthy and generally disgusting!

IME, poor boyfriend, after spending some time with my family over xmas I have much pity for anyone with toxic family. I've felt like a shadow of myself around mine the last couple of days, it's like they happiness leechers. My mum particularily likes to play me and my brother off each other and start arguments then blame me for arguing with her and cries crocodile tears and plays the martyr, i don't think she said anything to me which wasn't a criticism or shouting at me about something, anything. She raved for an hour about me wearing odd socks this morning. I felt like punching a wall.
It's exhausting.

How much of a relationship does your boyfriend want with his parents. I don't like to involve my boy in my parental issues, the occasional quick lunch or whatever, but i would never bring him home for xmas. TBH, I don't think i'll bother seeing anyone but my sister next year.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »
MaryKate, your family sounds alot like mine. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I don't know about you, but knowing how my family acts makes me dread coming home for xmas.

Everyone is always shouting at each other. My mom is miserable with her life and tries to make everyone around her unhappy too. But at least they can usually act nice around company for a few hours. I can't wait to get away. I'm so not staying for a week next Christmas. I'm thinking about 4 days will be more than enough!

My mother went on a huge rant about what shoes I was wearing as I went to go drive through a car wash yesterday, then vacuum out my car. I think I'm old enough where I can decide what shoes I want to wear when I go places! She does and says so many things like that. It drives me crazy. It's constant little critical nitpicky things. And if I get upset I'm "overreacting" or "being disrespectful."

And my grandmother - every time I straighten my hair she says "oh you use to have such beautiful curls....do you think it will ever be curly again?" I've been straightening my hair for 8+ years. And she's always saying my hair would look so much better cut short/pulled back/etc. And she does it in a way where it makes it sound like my hair really bad right now.

Bf and I talked, and we both decided we never want to move back to our home town. Ever. It's a nice city, but the people here are toxic. I can't imagine trying to have a relationship with him and both of our crazy families constantly interfering.

I leave weds. I don't know why I ever said I'd by staying here for a week. I'm so ready to get outta here. My sister and mom wanted to have a party while I was here. Great. Only all the people I was friends with or either gone or I've lost contact with them. So basically I'm having to spend my last few days here running around like a crazy person trying to get ready for a party with a bunch of people I barely know.  :P
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »
Totally relate. Neither DH, nor I ever "go home" for the holidays anymore. Maybe it's something in the water, but I long ago realized that needing a holiday from going home for the holidays can NOT be a good sign.

Friends have suggested that we give both our Moms a webcam before we go away so they can "visit" us from afar. The image that immediately popped into my head was my Mom oggling my outfit and musing:

Mom:  Oh...is that what you're wearing to work today?
Me: Yes. Why?
Mom: Oh, nothing. Nothing at all.........well....if you're sure then.

Yep, that's her all over and DH's Mom is no slouch in his put down/control freak arena, either.

So for years now, I've planned any visits for 3 short days or less, nearly always during the week, so as not to be dragged to church which becomes more of a parading DH and me around like show-and-brag than any semblance of worship.

People used to ask me why I live in Texas. My answer: cause Mom lives in Georgia. I'm happier that way, so is DH and devil take the hindmost.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 01:57:50 AM »
I am so upset. BF's mom gave me a $25 visa gift card for my xmas present. Woohoo! Much better than the purple-and-gold-egg I got last year! I used it towards getting a vacuum cleaner, something I really needed.

Just after I bought the vacuum, bf told me that his mom had originally given him the gift card, but then realized she didn't have a gift for me, so told him she'd pay him back for the card gave it to me. As of now, she still hasn't given him $25 or a new gift card. Now that I think about it, the thing wasn't even wrapped. I feel bad for bf that his xmas present was taken away and guilty that I used it for myself. And I'm rather annoyed with her for doing that to him.

Friends have suggested that we give both our Moms a webcam before we go away so they can "visit" us from afar. The image that immediately popped into my head was my Mom oggling my outfit and musing:]

BF got me a webcam so we can talk while he's traveling for work. I accidentally mentioned that to my dad, who suddenly thought that was a great idea for him to get so we could talk to. I had to quickly talk it down as something I would never use.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:22:45 AM by ImissEngland »
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

Sponsored Links