Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: memory foam mattress and back pain  (Read 18321 times)

memory foam mattress and back pain
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »
Before my parents came for the holidays, we got a memory foam mattress and a new bed so everyone had a place to sleep.  We've had the mattress for about 3 weeks now, and I am still waking up stiff and with huge lower back pain.  It's so annoying and painful.  I am really close to getting rid of the thing!  Anyone else found the memory foam beds to be a painful experience or is it just me? 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: memory foam mattress and back pain
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:10:44 PM »
I spent two nights on one last weekend (visiting friends) and I didn't like it at all!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »
DH really hated ours for the first few months because it gave him lower back aches but it cost a fortune so he kind of had to live with it.  He did adjust to it though.  I've always loved it. We have the kind where it's a regular mattress on the bottom and memory foam on top.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:21:01 PM »
DH really hated ours for the first few months because it gave him lower back aches but it cost a fortune so he kind of had to live with it.  He did adjust to it though.  I've always loved it. We have the kind where it's a regular mattress on the bottom and memory foam on top.

That's what we have and we love it. 

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:41:48 PM »
We were stiff and achy for the first few weeks as we got used to it, but now we're fine. I think that when we were buying it I looked up reviews and it said that your body doesn't toss and turn as much in these beds, so you just have to adjust to less movement at night.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »
I was the same way.  It took a few weeks and it got much better for me.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:32:41 PM »
I slept in one once.

NO thanks.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:35:15 PM »

Our is like the top 7 inches are memory foam and then a regular mattress underneath it. 

It's nice that people adapt because they are expensive.  I guess I'll just have to put up with it. 

• Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 07:54:50 PM »
I think memory foam is the worst for backs, a proper mattress is much much better! I have had 2 episodes with my herniated disc since October and I tried sleeping on our memory foam topper, what a nightmare! No real support, too hot, hard to get out of. I suggest a regular mattress for people with back problems!

Good luck!

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
I had a memory foam mattress in the US and I rarely had back problems after we got it.  Before that, some days I could barely get out of bed. 

I think it largely depends on what problems you have with your back.  If I sleep in a bed that's too hard, I get a popping/snapping feeling and after that I can barely move.  I cannot lay down on the floor or some sofas. Our latex matress in the UK isn't that firm, thankfully, but it's too firm for my liking.  Of course, others cannot sleep in a bed that's not very firm without back problems.

It's too bad it isn't easier for people to spend a few nights on beds to see if they suit them.  I wouldn't go so far to say that memory foam isn't good for people with bad backs, just that it is a godsend for some, not so great for others.

ETA: They apparently did a study that indicated that it just might be a matter of what works great for one person might be horrible for others:

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/news/20080403/soft-bed-or-hard-bed-for-back-pain
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:45:50 PM by Legs Akimbo »

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »
We were considering getting one of these, but all I really want is one of those cheap egg-crate mattress toppers like I had in the US.  DH and I both loved it, and would like our firm mattress to be a bit softer on top.  Has anyone seen anything like that here?  All I have seen are the expensive memory foam mattress toppers. 

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
I went through major pain when we first got our new bed.  It took about a month to 6 weeks for me to really get used to it and now, I absolutely love my bed.  It's is normal to take a while to get used to a new bed, especially if it's a totally different kind of mattress. 
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

• Liked: 36
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »
Hiya!

I've had one of those orthopedic type mattresses for the last few years and a few weeks into having it I got a 2 inch memory foam 'topper'. First night with it was fantastic! i didnt wake up till much later it was so comfortable!

About 4 weeks ago, I swapped it all out for a full memory foam mattress - and I'm very happy indeed! I got the version which has dense foam at the bottom and a 3 inch layer of memory foam on top - it's quite a bit lighter in weight as well compared to the standard mattress I had before. Bought on Sale from around £599 to £375 from one of the retail park type furniture places.

I've noticed a 'little' acheyness when I wake up but nothing bad, plus I also got myself one of those memory effect pillows - and thats been fine as well !!

All in all - I'm not getting a standard mattress again - for me these memory foam mattresses are the way to go !

The Topper I got in Costco - not sure if they still do them from time to time, i seem to recall paying £120 +VAT for it.

Memory pillow - bought about 4 weeks ago - Argos, its the Super Luxury memory effect pillow, around £25..

I think I saw the 2inch memory toppers from discounters on ebay - take a look there!

Cheers!
DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »
FYI I have just returned to work after a week off for severe lower back and neck pain.

I was secretly blaming the memory foam mattress as we purchased it about 2 weeks ago and prior to that I had never had back problems. A few nights on the memory foam and my neck started then my back.

DH swears that it's the most amazing mattress ever and we have the 5" top on it but I'm split on it. I don't think it provides enough support and will be quietly plotting to get rid of it. Or just get used to sleeping on my son's firm mattress.

It's definitely a novelty but I'm certainly not a fan.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 04:53:35 PM »
We just got one and I love it.  One thing the seller told us was to walk all over it a few times - it helps 'wear in' the mattress so that it's not so stiff.  It does take a while to 'break in' according to my sources, but we also got one that was a 4 out of 5 on firmness scale.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab