Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: From the Midwest to the East Midlands!  (Read 1088 times)

• Liked: 0
From the Midwest to the East Midlands!
« on: January 15, 2003, 02:53:27 PM »
Hello all!

I recently married a wonderful Englishman (he probably will read this!) and have settled in Leicestershire.  [smiley=love.gif]

I am originally from Indianapolis, Indiana but lived in London for a few years.  While I have several friends in London, Leicestershire is all new to me; it seems like a whole new world!  I know very few people here and am still feeling a bit lost.  It was a wonderful surprise to find this website!

One thing I really miss is good Mexican food.  I also miss my American cookbooks ... Betty Crocker doesn't exist over here!

Is there anyone out there who lives in the East Midlands?

TheresaM

Re: From the Midwest to the East Midlands!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 03:01:26 PM »
You can get American cookbooks from Amazon.com

Europe just doesn't seem to have real Mexican food, you can get the fake American mexican at some taco bell type places, or spanish food advertised as real mexican. I miss the hell out of it also!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Edmund Burke
www.lostinsweden.com

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 03:45:01 PM »
Hi Theresa,

welcome to UKY...  I am not over there yet...but I have made sure to pack up my favorite cookbooks...  although ingredients may need some re-vamping...  LOL!...  one of the main things I have learned to prepare for my move is to keep and pack all your own measuring tools... favorite cookbooks, and my favorite cookware...  that way I would be more comfortable in my new and quite different kitchen.  a few conversion charts to have handy about the kitchen... and patience in the grocery stores will make things a lot easier...  (my first long visit there found me crying in the kitchen often)

You will have a hard time finding mexican food there...  but I have found ingredients to make your own...  Tom loved my fajitas...  and refried beans can be found there.

anyway, welcome to the site.

Shel

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 03:24:48 PM »
Hello Theresa. Welcome. :)

I'm also a Midwesterner, in the Midlands. From Iowa, now in Warwickshire. I get Old ElPaso products to do mexican dishes, and Tesco's does a great frozen chicken enchilada dish, though their "mexican style" chilli beans suck, lol. Their plain chilli beans are fine though.

I'm hoping to get a Midlands get-together organized in the spring. There are a few of us here, and maybe some others will travel. :)

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, you can get Betty Crocker cake mixes, frosting, and Bisquick from a few places here, Tesco's and Co-op Food Centres.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2003, 03:26:31 PM by admin »

Sponsored Links