Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: looking for a little guidence !  (Read 1654 times)

• Liked: 0
looking for a little guidence !
« on: January 15, 2003, 05:17:51 PM »
Hi !

Just looking for some general advice . .  wanted to ask directly cause i must have looked at about a million sites now and getting a little confused !!   ???

The situation is I met my boyfriend (who is a USA citizen) and I am a UK citizen.

He has recently been over to stay with me over christmas and is wishing to come back and stay longer this time (looking at about 3months)

Will he need a visa? or can he do anything to help with Immigration? (on his last visit we both were pulled up and questioned at the Airport where i was meeting him even tho the visit was only for 3 weeks!  :( )

He isnt wishing to work or anything while he is here . .  I live alone and work full time and will be supporting him in this time.

Thanks alot for any help  ;D

Re: looking for a little guidence !
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 05:43:37 PM »
It's a bit of sticky thing, really, Ilysa.

Technically, he can come over without a visa and stay for 6 months.  However...

If he comes to the UK expecting to say he's staying for three months, the immigration officer will want him to be able to prove:

-- that he can support himself for the length of time he will be here (and him saying you will be supporting him probably won't be a good idea.  He'll need to show that he has the funds to do so himself.)

-- that he does not intend to overstay the time he says he's staying.  So they'll want to see return tickets, a letter from an employer stating they expect him to return, a letter from a landlord saying his lease is still in effect, these sorts of things.

If he's been stopped and questioned before, immigration may have marked his passport somehow to show that they were suspicious.  It may not be right, but this may flag up earlier problems and lead to more questions.

He might not want to mention you are his girlfriend either.  Best thing is to say is that he is visiting a friend for an extended holiday.  And then make sure he isn't carrying anything that might prove otherwise such as loveletters, nighties, etc....

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 05:45:58 PM by Wishstar »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 07:50:06 PM »
I came over for a four month visit back in 2001 before Tony and I got married and even though we were engaged Tony was just my 'friend'. I left the ring in the UK before I flew back to the states for a few weeks. I carried nothing showing I had any romantic relationship with anyone here in the UK. So basically have your boyfreind say nothing of your relationship to immigration, other then that you are good friends.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 10:12:20 PM »
I think others have given good advice, but the other thing to think about too is that you say he was here over Christmas.  How soon does he intend to come back?  If it's anytime soon, then most assuredly they'll probably question you both again as to the situation.  It might be good to wait a while before he tries to come back like say 6 months.  Best of luck whatever you decide and I hope it works out!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 01:24:59 PM »
Thanks alot for all the help  :)

Planned for a return visit in about 6-7 months . .  Hopefully it will all work out ok :)

Thanks Again

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab