Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Neighbors  (Read 3480 times)

Re: Neighbors
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »

Sing Sing is in NY.

You guys really don't do irony, do you?  ;)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »
How would the authorities/police deal with this in the US? I'll bet the pot heads would show more respect for a US police officer than they do for the touchy feely Brit cops?

Usually, in Dallas that is, people would be evicted for making noise after the third complaint.

Anyway, how is this going, hjarrett? Still quiet over there?  :-\\\\

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
I'll bet the pot heads would show more respect for a US police officer than they do for the touchy feely Brit cops?

WTF?!  ???

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 04:26:30 AM »
How would the authorities/police deal with this in the US? I'll bet the pot heads would show more respect for a US police officer than they do for the touchy feely Brit cops?

I don't get this....can you please explain your comment?

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »

I believe I can, but I'd better not...

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 09:57:25 AM »

Yeah, I didn't really understand what that meant. There are some pretty hot young female cops in our town, so I don't guess some people would mind if they were touchy-feely, whatever that means!  ???

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 11:06:43 AM »
Yeah, I didn't really understand what that meant. There are some pretty hot young female cops in our town, so I don't guess some people would mind if they were touchy-feely, whatever that means!  ???

I suspect the intention was derogatory. The annoying phrase "Brit cops" shows a level of stereotyping which lends weight to that interpretation.

touch·y-feel·y

adj. Informal

1. Marked by or emphasizing physical closeness and emotional openness: became uncomfortable when the group therapy session got too touchy-feely.

2. Based on sentiment or intuition, especially to the exclusion of critical judgment: "a book that proves the existence of the Almighty ... without recourse to spiritual mumbo jumbo or any of that touchy-feely faith stuff" Adam Begley.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:08:48 AM by contrex »

• God only knows what i'd be without you
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 02:19:12 AM »
I am an avid viewer of COPS and I'm sure the LAPD would go in there,mace them,cuff them and drag thm out and they'd end up doing 10 to 20 in sing-sing.

hahahahahha

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »

Yes..apologies...i didnt mean touchy feely as in the possibility that Brit Cops might manhandle you in an intimate and wholly inappropriate manner..!

No,what i meant was that in the UK we used to have a "Police Force" i.e the police commanded a greater level of respect,were more "in charge" and indeed possibly more feared.

Over the years this respect has diminished,the force has become a "service" and instead of enforcing law rigorously,they are much to close,friendly and understanding of transgressors/criminals/felons...i.e touchy feely in a psychological/behavioural/perceptual sense rather than an actual laying on of hands. HTH

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 10:43:59 PM »
Yes..apologies...i didnt mean touchy feely as in the possibility that Brit Cops might manhandle you in an intimate and wholly inappropriate manner..!

It's the "softly softly" approach.  That possibly would've made it a bit clearer, but I knew exactly what you were talking about in your original post.  Some of it is to due with courts though...   :P

I am an avid viewer of COPS and I'm sure the LAPD would go in there,mace them,cuff them and drag thm out and they'd end up doing 10 to 20 in sing-sing.
  LOL, that's great!

HJarrett - how's it going with the neighbours now?  Any improvement or have you moved elsewhere?

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 12:42:24 AM »
No,what i meant was that in the UK we used to have a "Police Force" i.e the police commanded a greater level of respect,were more "in charge" and indeed possibly more feared.

And they used to take bribes, give false evidence to get innocent people hanged, assault prisoners and members of the public, plant evidence, commit racist assaults, lie and cheat,  in fact they were quite a lot different.

::)

• Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
And they used to take bribes, give false evidence to get innocent people hanged, assault prisoners and members of the public, plant evidence, commit racist assaults, lie and cheat,  in fact they were quite a lot different.
Hmmm.....That doesn't sound too different now... UK or not!

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »

Yeah those were the days! When England was a crime-free paradise.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 07:11:09 AM »
I forgot about giving kids "thick ears" for being cheeky, prejudging rape accusations by deciding if the woman "asked for it", running protection schemes in Brixton (in return for crates of beer deposited [in full view!] outside the back door of the police station canteen, not searching certain pubs for drugs and "finding" them), dealing in drugs (identify a marijuana dealer, make hom co-operate by means of threats, sell him the drugs, bust the customers, [boosting arrest figures] sell the confiscated drugs back to the dealer again, round and round in a circle), under-declaring the amount of dope someone had when arrested [they won't complain!] and selling the excess amount, stealing the contents of trucks involved in accidents, likewise warehouses that have been burgled [let the insurance company worry about it!] busting bank robbers and creaming off a large percentage of the used bank notes found [so much for each member of the squad, so much for the sergeant, the inspector] etc etc etc. Ah the good old days!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
Assaulting mentally ill immigrants & chucking them in the river.

More: http://www.wyp.org.uk/events/event_details.asp?event_ID=639
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Sponsored Links