Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: English breakfast  (Read 8524 times)

• larrrrry larry curlycurlymoemo e
    • Earl Apricot of Eisentrubble
  • Liked: 1
English breakfast
« on: May 16, 2002, 11:10:21 PM »
i've been here 4 weeks now (as of today), and i'm already finding myself stocking up on baked-beans, eggs, toast, and cheese... for those yummy english breakfasts.  baked beans are so good in the morning!  why didn't i think of this before?!

it'll be a while before i want chips with everything, tho.  :P
"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
  • Liked: 0
Re: English breakfast
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2002, 12:21:13 AM »
Seems like most of my kid's friend live on beans on toast. A prospect that sends my children into fits. THEY HATE BEANS of any persuasion.

Anybody into kippers in the morining?

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2002, 01:41:06 AM »
I'm with your kids on the issue of bean!!!  I've never liked them and never will.  :-X  

On the other hand, we do tend to eat chips with EVERYTHING!!!  What is this country's obsession with starch? [smiley=confused.gif].  It isn't enough to have just one starch with dinner, but they seem to need two.  Usually potatoes and chips, or potatoes and yorkshire pudding, but my personal favorite is a potato fritter on a bread roll!! [smiley=speechless.gif]  This can't be healthy
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2002, 03:05:39 AM »
The English have never been noted for their haute cuisine (heavy, stodgy, starchy and potatoes with everything -- probably a result of living in a cold, damp climate) and personally, I don't eat breakfast ... but the mushrooms!  Oh my!  They're lovely and abundant and inexpensive and they almost make me want to eat breakfast.  But I usually wait until dinner (tea).  

• I love mankind...It's people I can't stand.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2002, 06:12:59 AM »
Not sure about Kippers, but smoked makrel on toast is very nice at any time of day.

And yes the mushrooms.  Mushrooms on toast (I am the toast queen) are amazing!

Has anyone ever tried cold (left over) pasta for breakfast?  
Friends don't let friends get "Friends" haircuts!

• larrrrry larry curlycurlymoemo e
    • Earl Apricot of Eisentrubble
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2002, 10:57:08 AM »
cold leftover pasta-salad is one of my favorite breakfast entities... but i haven't found a good pasta-salad dressing here yet.  i keep looking..

[smiley=square.gif]
"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2002, 11:02:23 AM »
Sorry but the best breakfast of all (and one that I sorely miss) is cold New York pizza :)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2002, 01:25:48 PM »
the best breakfast of all (and one that I sorely miss) is cold New York pizza :)

OMG YES!!!!!!!  God do I miss that.. Especially after a night of drinking.  Cold pizza is the way-to-go.......
« Last Edit: May 17, 2002, 01:26:21 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• Michigan~~~~Tex as~~~~Bradford West Yorkshire
    • CampThornBouchStein
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2002, 03:58:41 PM »
I'm with Glasgow girl on the beans front yulk yulk yulk.  I get sick just cleaning the pan they were cooked in.  

Does anyone like the bacon over here?  I don't like a lot of salt so I find it hard to stomach as it asways tastes really really salty.

Having a tomato and mushrooms with my breakfast here was a real treat though, I really found I liked that, was strange at first though.

My number one ever scrumptous, tastiest breakie ever would have to be french toast mmmmmmm bloody low carb diets mean I am restricted for awhile boo hiss  :(

• Don't let your life pass you by!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2002, 05:27:06 PM »
I like the beans on toast (of course Heinz baked beans) which you can't get in the States!  add the mushrooms, tomato, and a slice of English bacon and I am a happy camper!

English Breakfast items I will pass on:
Sausages!!  Black pudding, whatever... A while ago, one of my husband's friends invited us for the traditional breakfast at the Dorcester Hotel before my first rugby match at Twickenham and it was quite embarrassing, I couldn't eat anything on my plate except the toast.  It is a fixed breakfast so I couldn't substitute.  When our friend departed to the toilets, my hubby ate as much as he could off my plate!  I was so relieved...
BE NICE OR BE GONE!

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2002, 06:29:28 PM »
OMG could ANYTHING be more revolting than black pudding?  :-X

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2002, 06:35:40 PM »
Haggis?
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2002, 06:59:07 PM »
Actually, I did try haggis once (just a little bit, cuz I don't eat meat, but I was curious).  Thought it tasted a bit like very bland meatloaf.  I wouldn't care to eat it again.  But black pudding ... blood in a casing!  Sounds positively vampiric.  Yuck!

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2002, 09:29:42 PM »
I've heard it said that British cuisine is actually a dare.

As far as bacon here goes it's for the birds. The closest thing I've found to the stuff we get back home is something they call BLT bacon which can be found at Tesco..

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2002, 10:11:54 PM »
As far as bacon here goes it's for the birds.

I hope you mean the feathered variety -- not a reference to your UKY harem.  

Let them eat bacon (cake?)!! [smiley=chef.gif]

Sponsored Links