Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Big rubbish problem  (Read 4304 times)

• Liked: 0
Big rubbish problem
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:23:59 AM »
I have never had this problem before and I am a bit beside myself as to what to do.

We put our rubbish on the side of the street and it gets collected twice every week I believe.  But for the last 3-4 weeks, it has not been collected.  And now people have taken it as a collection site or something and placed their trash there as well.  2 steps out and I will have stepped onto a trash bag.  The smell is horrendous and I feel it is a health hazard.

I called the council, I have called waste collection and nothing has been done.  Council told me to call waste collection and told me not to bother them.  Waste collection told me to call the council for the complaint so they can send someone out.  In the meantime, the pile of trash outside my door is getting bigger and bigger.  (There are about 70 bags outside right now)

Furthermore, I can't stay at home and tell everyone who try to dump it in front of my place to dump it somewhere else.  So how to I stop them from dumping their if this moutnain of trash miraculously goes away?  Thank goodness it's winter so it's too cold for flies, but if it was summer, I would be literally crying as we speak.

Someone please help!

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
Re: Big rubbish problem
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
I hate to say it, but you need to call the council back and ask to speak to Environmental Health.  I wouldn't claim responsibility for it starting but I would inform them of the horrendous smell, rodent problems and a general eye sore and tell them its dangerous to pedestrians.

Sounds as tho you have been given the runaround, but Enviromental Health are the correct people to call.

Hope you get it sorted soon  :)
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Philly to Poole
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:34:46 PM »
Take a photo and send it to the tabloids!

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
I'll try the Environmental health and hope they will take it away.
Realistically speaking, how fast can they take care of it?
Will I have to wait another week before it is solved?

I will have to put tabloids on the list if they don't do something soon  :\\\'(

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »
I'll try the Environmental health and hope they will take it away.
Realistically speaking, how fast can they take care of it?
Will I have to wait another week before it is solved?

I will have to put tabloids on the list if they don't do something soon  :\\\'(

If you say its a eye sore and downgrading the street - they tend to pick it up next day.

On a jokey note: If you do decide to take piccys for the tabloids...go and buy some plastic rats and dot them around the bags..  ;)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
We put our rubbish on the side of the street and it gets collected twice every week I believe. 

Twice a week?  Count yourself lucky.  In many areas now we get a collection once every two weeks.  :(

But on the specific problem, the Environmental Health Dept. of the local council is definitely the way to go if you had no joy from the other sections, and don't hold back on describing the odor, the fact that you think you've seen vermin around the bags, etc.   Give them 24 hours, and if nothing has been done, call again. 
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »
I just called and I got warned about calling more than once to a problem.  I was told that if my problem is not solved in a week, then I would be able to call again.  I was also told my voice sounded like I'm 5 (thanks...).  I don't want to be pushy but I am afraid I will have even more trash in a week's time since everyone is taking it for a dumping ground.

Something or someone is definitely going through them at night because the trash piles fall over each other and some bags are ripped opened.  Because it is in front of my place, I'm not responsible for them to be orderly am I?  I cringe at the thought that I might have to touch them.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
I just called and I got warned about calling more than once to a problem.  I was told that if my problem is not solved in a week, then I would be able to call again. 

Don't worry about what some dictator at the council tells you about when you are "allowed" to call.  Keep calling every day and make a nuisance of yourself until they actually do something about it.  Demand to speak to a superior if necessary.  Yes, threaten to call the newspapers if you like.  If they think you'll just be fobbed off with waiting a week before you call again, then another week etc., you could still find yourself tripping over the garbage in a month's time.

Because it is in front of my place, I'm not responsible for them to be orderly am I?

No.  Not your responsibility if somebody else has been dumping garbage in a public street, although don't be surprised if some council official tries to tell you that.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
I would contact one of your local ward Councillors. You should be able to get the number from the council website.  This is a terrible breach of regulations, a health hazard, etc and I am sure you won't have been the only one to have complained.

Vicky

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
I was also told my voice sounded like I'm 5 (thanks...).  I don't want to be pushy but I am afraid I will have even more trash in a week's time since everyone is taking it for a dumping ground.

What!  >:(

I would send a email to your local MP.  That needs reporting along with the trash.

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »
Don't send this to the MP.  This is the sort of thing that an MP has no power over and should be dealt with a local level.  As a former PA to an MP, all an MP would do is send the letter to council anyway, so going to a local rep will get it dealt with faster.

Vicky

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »
Don't send this to the MP.  This is the sort of thing that an MP has no power over and should be dealt with a local level.  As a former PA to an MP, all an MP would do is send the letter to council anyway, so going to a local rep will get it dealt with faster.

Vicky

Oh...well there you go  :)

ETA: I would still complain to this persons manager / supervisor.  How dare they talk to you and say you are 5! who the hell do these people think they are  :-\\\\
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:25:52 PM by LuckyCuz »

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 07:53:39 PM »
may i ask what local authority, out of curiosity? the type of response you are describing is not what i experienced while living in london....which makes me realise how fortunate i was. it probably helped i volunteered with our council as "street leader".

i would also recommend speaking with your local councillor...they are volunteers...and from my experience they are keen to get involved.

• Banned

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »

i would also recommend speaking with your local councillor...they are volunteers...

A seat on the council has been a paid post since about 1996.  Many councillors are paid around £10k or more.  They are, however, local people, most of whom genuinely care about the area in which they live.

Vicky

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »
oh thanks victoria for that clarification...i even checked prior to my post with my british husband. he's usually as reliable as googling to find the correct answer...but not this time. but i agree the councillors are very dedicated and i would guess spend much more time doing their work than what they are paid.

Sponsored Links