Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Big rubbish problem  (Read 4302 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Big rubbish problem
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »
Don't let them talk to you that way. You pay council tax. They are answerable to you. Telling you you sound 5??? Unbelievable!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
I have a high pitch voice so I get mistaken sometimes.
I took everyone's advice and called a agin.  They said they will look into it.  I hope I sounded persistent enough.
As of this morning, we got more rubbish.  I hope they clear it out.  It has spread to the people around us.  One of them has said they too have made a complaint so I don't feel so alone.  Maybe if more people complained they will get on it?
I hope when I go hoem today, it will have magically disappear so I can start thinking of a plan to deter others from dumping here in the future.
Thanks for the advice so far everyone!
Sorry for the late reply, dear computer died last week :<

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »
As of this morning, we got more rubbish.  I hope they clear it out.  It has spread to the people around us.  One of them has said they too have made a complaint so I don't feel so alone.  Maybe if more people complained they will get on it?

That could be a very good plan.  What about talking to the nieghbours and asking them to call also?  If the council get bombarded with the same complaint.  They actually might act a bit quicker.
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »
After many days of calling, they have finally picked it all up on Sunday.
I received a call back and the lady was rather crossed with me and gave me a plethora of excuses.
- We don’t’ pick up when we have snow
- We don’t pick up cause there has been a lot of rain (so what?)
- We have been busy answering other people’s calls (if you did it right the first time there would be no calls)
- I should have taken my trash somewhere else if I noticed my trash wasn't being picked up…..

Since the trash has been gone, no one has really thrown trash in front of our place.  Finally, a trash free home!  Thanks!

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:10:26 AM »
Yay!  :D
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »
I would still complaint to your local councillor.

Vicky

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »
After many days of calling, they have finally picked it all up on Sunday.
I received a call back and the lady was rather crossed with me and gave me a plethora of excuses.
- I should have taken my trash somewhere else if I noticed my trash wasn't being picked up…..

that's quite rich. Should you consider paying your council tax to someone who would do the job as well? Geez. I agree with Vicky.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »

Despite some recent attempts to show otherwise, councils have a statutory duty to collect refuse from the boundary of your property.   When making your complaint, you should remind them of this fact.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »
Update:  Thank you for the advice everyone, I have decided to politely voice my complaint with them.

I did receive a letter warning me that excessive amounts of trash needs to be dumped at the city disposal facilities and that if there were further occurrences where I have too much trash, I would be charged because it becomes a special pick up.

I haven't had anyone dumping their things in front of me since I put out a sign there.

So far so good, hope the problems stop here.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 12:12:48 PM »
Hang on...rubbish piled up because they didn't collect, and they sent YOU a letter telling YOU off?

That is appalling!

Vicky

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
I guess they assumed it was all mine

I don't know.  I will try to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Since this won't happen again (crossing my fingers and toes), I suppose I don't have too much to worry about

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 03:10:30 PM »
I think I would politely complain AND set them straight that it was NOT your rubbish.

They have nerve.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »
I think I would politely complain AND set them straight that it was NOT your rubbish.

They have nerve.

I agree they need to know that it was everyones, not just yours! 
Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »
I did receive a letter warning me that excessive amounts of trash needs to be dumped at the city disposal facilities and that if there were further occurrences where I have too much trash, I would be charged because it becomes a special pick up.

Definitely write a letter (and keep a copy) pointing out that the only reason there was so much garbage piled up is because they hadn't collected it and other people had been dumping it there.   At least that way if the same should happen again and some dictator at the council decides to arbitrarily start issuing penalty notices you'll have it on record.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 07:40:12 PM »
if you don't mind...i'm still curious to know which local authority? in addition to speaking to your local councillor, i would look at their website for the form to make a formal complaint. they have an obligation to respond to your complaint in a timely manner.

Sponsored Links