Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Dutch MP Geert Wilders refused entry to UK  (Read 8932 times)

• Liked: 0
Democrats and Republicans - fiddling while Rome burns.

Re: UK: Dutch MP Geert Wilders refused entry to UK
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »
A good thing too. Freedom of speech is one thing, giving a platform to a bigoted rabble rouser is quite another. I see Ukip was involved. Not often I agree with Jacqui Smith but she had no choice.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »
On his flight to London, he told The Times that the British Government was “the biggest bunch of cowards in Europe”.

He's probably right. 

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:46:34 AM »
Freedom of speech is one thing

And one thing you apparently don't believe in!  I could probably sympathize with the UK government's position if Geert Wilders was advocating violence and telling people to kick in doors and kill Muslims by the oodles.  But he hasn't advocated any sort of violence and to me the true threat to public security are the people in this country that the government is affraid will respond violently to Geert Wilders and his message.

He's probably right. 

Cowardly indeed.  Gordon Brown and his government aren't friends to free speech.  They're a bunch of weasels.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:38:22 AM »
"I'm all for freedom of speech -- except for that speech I disagree with, of course."

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:41:43 AM »
Cowardly indeed.  Gordon Brown and his government aren't friends to free speech.  They're a bunch of weasels.

I think Jeremy Clarkson summed him up pretty well.
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:59:35 AM »
"I'm all for freedom of speech -- except for that speech I disagree with, of course."

Yep. 

It made me wonder if he'd make it into the US.  Would we turn away someone who was democratically elected to a seat in a nation's parliament even if we thought his belief system was incendiary?  We tend to not extend quite as many rights to non-citizens in the US as we consider sacrosanct for citizens.  If he were a foreign elected representive who was Muslim and advocated that the Bible should be banned because it encouraged all sorts of horrors, would he get into the US (or the UK for that matter)?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:07:07 AM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »
Yep. 

It made me wonder if he'd make it into the US.  Would we turn away someone who was democratically elected to a seat in a nation's parliament even if we thought his belief system was incendiary?  We tend to not extend quite as many rights to non-citizens in the US as we consider sacrosanct for citizens.  If he were a foreign elected representive who was Muslim and advocated that the Bible should be banned because it encouraged all sorts of horrors, would he get into the US (or the UK for that matter)?

Ahmadinejad was allowed in. So have the Saudi heads of state. So I guess that's a yes.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 05:34:21 PM »
What was the Home Office reason for refusal?  Was it because they believed he was entering the UK in order to commit a criminal offence (incitement to racial hatred)?

Vicky

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 05:53:04 PM »
I could probably sympathize with the UK government's position if Geert Wilders was advocating violence and telling people to kick in doors and kill Muslims by the oodles.  But he hasn't advocated any sort of violence and to me the true threat to public security are the people in this country that the government is affraid will respond violently to Geert Wilders and his message.

Thet certainly does seem to be the case.  It's worth remembering that this is the same government which just a few years ago allowed in a militant Muslim cleric who openly advocates suicide bombing, the deliberate killing of innocent women and children in Israel, the forceful Islamification of "the infidels," and just the sort of violence you mention.      It makes you wonder where their priorities lie, doesn't it?

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
What was the Home Office reason for refusal?  Was it because they believed he was entering the UK in order to commit a criminal offence (incitement to racial hatred)?

Vicky

I think that's why he got banned.  I know he faces charges for incitement in the Netherlands (or so says the BBC).

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »

Vicky

Muslims aren't a 'race'.  So how can he incite racial hatred?  I don't see how him criticizing Islam is any different from me criticizing Catholicism (like I do everytime my Catholic wife mentions wanting to get our daughter baptised).  Should I be thrown out of the country now since Britain is now a Catholic country?

• British and Texan (and ape)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »
Should I be thrown out of the country now since Britain is now a Catholic country?

Did I miss something?   ???

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 08:27:03 PM »
Muslims aren't a 'race'.  So how can he incite racial hatred? 

Okay, religious hatred then. It's still a criminal charge.

I don't see how him criticizing Islam is any different from me criticizing Catholicism (like I do everytime my Catholic wife mentions wanting to get our daughter baptised). 

Criticising is different from inciting hatred.  I don't believe particulary like Catholicism for a number of reasons, but I don't try to suggest Catholics should be harmed in anyway or try to drum up support for a pogrom. You don't want your daughter to be baptised (which, by the way, is non-denominational) but you don't want to burn the church down.

Should I be thrown out of the country now since Britain is now a Catholic country?

Er......not since 1558.

Vicky

• Banned

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »
I think what most people find extremely disturbing is the distinct set of double standards being applied.

We have radical Muslims openly advocating physical violence against "non-believers" and the Islamic takeover of Britain by force, and apparently that's freedom of speech.  Yet when somebody simply publicizes this fact and criticizes those radicals, he's "inciting hatred."

Is it any wonder that people feel that the U.K. government is hellbent on destroying Britain as a Christian nation?

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

Sponsored Links