Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: greetings from anaheim, CA  (Read 1303 times)

greetings from anaheim, CA
« on: January 20, 2003, 08:54:21 AM »
hello,
  I'm chad and i live in anaheim california area.  I'm a high school student, and interested in the english culture and lifestyle. I'm hopefully moving there in the future. I will be basically taking part in some discussions to obtain information about the place.  If anyone else has questions about my area of residence, feel free to ask also.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: greetings from anaheim, CA
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 09:41:17 AM »
Hi Chad,
What floats your interest about the UK? For me I always thought it would be a cool place. It seemed a place where the latest fashions and music origniated, the accents were really distinguished...melts a heart. I never imagined I would actually live here. Would you be moving here with family, on your own? Through school or work? Or just because you think you'd like to live here?

I've never been to Anaheim...have a trip coming up next month for Malibu, but won't even be there a full week, so there won't be much driving around.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 08:18:41 PM »
the history and culture interests me, its just more....cultural.  Along with all the music scenes and movements that have originated there.  If i did move there, it'd be on my own, since no one else in my family has a desire to move there.  I would move there in any way i could, school or work, i have to look into it.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 08:40:21 PM »
Welcome to UK-Yankee, I hope you have a pleasant stay.

lol well I was going to write the next part of this post too cause I didn't read the whole of the post till after I posted it :P.....*slaps his wrists*......I'll leave it for my own ignomony and an example to myself that I should pay attention! [smiley=embarassed.gif] [smiley=doh.gif] [smiley=freak.gif]

"Skachad" is an interesting name, where did it come from?  I'm assuming as you like ska this is the reason for the first part of the name.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2003, 08:46:01 PM by Nefandous »

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 09:40:44 PM »
Hi Chad...I too had a fascination about England when I was younger.  There's just something intriguing about it, huh?  Never thought I would actually live here!!  Well, it's going on one year and four months, and I don't regret a second of it.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 01:01:27 AM »
yea there is something intriguing about it.  I really want to live there someday, but i dont know how im going to go about it...  i mean, i cant just waltz into a foreign country and start living.  How are you suppose to do it?  How do you find a job and place to live?

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 11:14:55 AM »
One of the best/first things you should do is come visit. Have you been here before? I'd recommend going off the beaten path. Everyone goes to London or Bath or Stonehenge or Stratford-on-Avon. They see a very slanted UK. Hit a smaller village and go in a pub, elbow with the locals. Take a walk along a footpath. See some of the more "hidden" historical things like Avebury. Even though you'd be a tourist, try to live like a native. Imagine yourself here. It's not to everyone's tastes, and some do decide (after leaving a whole life 'back home') to return to try to get that back.

I have to say though, that...it seems to me, anyway...if you come with a sparkle in your eye for the UK, then nothing is going to make you want to leave. I love it here. But I grew up with a feeling that I always would love it here. Can't explain it. You might even catch me in deep mesmerization, running my hand over a stone wall that's about a thousand years old, trying to imagine the daily scene back then. Who touched this same wall? How were they dressed?

I come from Florida, a place where the oldest house was made a museum and it was only built in the 1950s. I now live in a house that's almost 200 years old, a place that used to be a hotel for high society people who vacationed here. Well, actually, that's a very VERY simplified version. This house has a very interesting history, and it's awesome to try to imagine a cream of society in your own bedroom back when George III went mad and Napolean was being defeated at Waterloo.

Chad, come visit first. Then decide if you want to take next steps to make this your home.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 01:02:34 PM »
Hello Chad, and welcome. :)

Good luck in finding your way over, you're doing the right thing by researching it all first. I'm sure you'll find the way that's best for you. I'd think the student visa would be the best idea, and as Lisa said, you might consider a visit first, maybe in the summer. :)

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 03:46:24 AM »
yes, i am actually coming over in the summer.  I am staying at a very close friends house in Surrey.  I certainly hope thats a place that gives me a good introduction to england, i heard its nice there

• Hi Ya!
    • Welcome to our website
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2003, 11:39:32 PM »
Welcome!  
Ah....Anaheim!  Disneyland!  That's what I always think of when I see that name.....

Jody
The spark in your soul is the centre of your whole existence
And it is bigger and stronger than any government or king
                                              -Runrig-

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2003, 01:12:33 PM »
Hi Chad...
I used to know Anaheim pretty well, but havent been there for at least 20 years now.  My granny lived right on the 'border' of Anaheim & Garden Grove.  My first hubby went to Katella High.  We used to eat at Charlie Brown's alot... is that place still there?

Hope you can find the info you are looking for here.  If you are still in high school, you've got plenty time to prepare.  Maybe you should start looking into going to University over here... that would be a great experience for you.  Maybe someplace in the North, so that you can get the full on Northern Soul experience!  ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 07:23:30 PM »
Hey Chad, Welcome! Believe it or not, my official residence in the states is still in Anaheim, West Flippen Way in fact. Although truth be known, I proudly consider San Diego home!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 07:24:11 PM by 15 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Edmund Burke
www.lostinsweden.com

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2003, 07:25:23 PM »
I always thought it was a shame the street wasn't North Flippen Way so it could be called 'no flippen way'

::)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Edmund Burke
www.lostinsweden.com

• Who, being loved, is poor?  -Wilde
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2003, 07:15:52 PM »
LOL!!!  Good one, 15!

Welcome, Chad.  I was always fascinated by England as well.  As an embarrassing fact, I used to be confused about all the names: United Kingdom, England, and Britain.  When I was a lot younger I didn't realise that they were *mostly* all the same thing.  I made a lot of silly mistakes with the names before I figured out how they all fit together.  

Never dreamed I'd live here though.  Wow!

Jewel
"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children."  -Kahlil Gibran

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2003, 07:55:20 AM »
hello chad,

i'm tracy, and i've lived in fullerton my whole life.  i'm getting ready to get my visa and move to the U.K. to be with my husband.  i'm currently living with my parents in laguna hills so as to save money for my visa.  i went to England back in October and i absolutely loved it!  there is so much history there, it's absolutely beautiful.  

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab