Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changes to Tier 1 PBS April onwards  (Read 17235 times)

• Liked: 0
Changes to Tier 1 PBS April onwards
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:50:38 AM »
Seems PBS Tier 1 system is going through its first overhaul.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/labour/4741610/Immigrant-workers-to-face-crackdown.html

"The major change will come in under "Tier 1" of the points-based system – the route which offers access to Britain's labour markets to highly skilled individuals, such as scientists and entrepreneurs, who can come in without a specific job offer.
Around 26,000 came to Britain last year using this route.
Their qualification and minimum salary levels will be raised to masters degree and £20,000 from undergraduate degree and £17,000 respectively from April"

Alrite, my question is this. For those planning to apply in March - is this going to put their case in limbo since the new system may become effective April onwards. What do caseworkers do in this intervening period? (Wait and watch...and delay approving applications?). Is it better to delay filing the application to April, even if you meet these new conditions?

Re: Changes to Tier 1 PBS April onwards
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:20:15 AM »
If true, the Master's Degree requirement knocks me out of the running.  :(  Wonder why nobody but the Telegraph has picked this up?  A bit sudden departure from current policy.  I didn't see reference to this building up.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~ Teddy Roosevelt

Tier 1 granted ~ 28/3/09

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:24:13 AM »
I would appreciate if anyone could find a link to a UKBA or .gov.uk website that states this.  Wouldn't want my hopes dashed by journalistic sensationalism from the Telegraph.

Tier 1 granted ~ 28/3/09

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 04:39:59 AM »
I would appreciate if anyone could find a link to a UKBA or .gov.uk website that states this.  Wouldn't want my hopes dashed by journalistic sensationalism from the Telegraph.

Pushkin, I'm in the same boat. I think I'll be a nervous wreck until something more formal shows up. Here's a link to a similar article on The Times. Other than these two, I couldn't find another peep of this online.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5776746.ece

On another note, Jacqui Smith, whom the newspapers quote this Tier 1 change, seems to be caught up in her own bit of scandal. Let's hope she's too busy defending her expenses to focus on us skilled workers! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7899201.stm

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 08:23:08 AM »
Wow - I hope my documents come before April! I'm sure that people applying from April onwards will be under this, unless it doesn't come through - either way, I have both requirements, but am still scared!

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »
It's amazing how the concept of highly skilled is slowly being tied to education more and more (it already is with the Bachelor's requirement, if this is true, it's just going further...)  I have a master's degree and in my last job made just over £20K a year, but because I am young (24) I am considered more highly skilled than someone with a bachelor's degree or no degree who is older and is at a much more senior level in their career after working their way up the ranks? Yeah...not very logical, if you ask me.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:44:54 AM »
Applications are processed under the rules they are submitted.  Your application is considered submitted when you have either done your biometrics or posted your paperwork.  Since you always do your biometrics first in the US, your biometrics date is your effective submission date.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 31
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 09:57:25 AM »
springhaze, it is also tied to earning power. They realised that someone under 30 with high qualifications was more likely to earn more money, and pay more taxes for longer, than a highly qualified person who is 50. This is a pretty rubbish change though.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:33 AM »

Jacqui was just on Andrew Marr stating she was changing the requirements from April.
12/08/09 - Citizenship submitted via NCS
17/08/09 - Payment taken from account
18/09/09 - Citizenship approved, invitation to ceremony, dated 12/09/09
03/11/09 - Citizenship ceremony

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
The points for age thing is supposed to compensate for the fact that a younger person, just out of college, is likely to have had less time to build up their salary, though as Springhaze states, you'll see older people hitting only 75 points but quite a few younger people scoring over 100 - not that it makes any difference once you hit 75 of course.

These changes are going to be a further blow to your young American people looking to go through a trial period of living together "normally" - that is to say both going out to work rather than having to see how things go just as visitors - with their UK partner. First BUNAC, then no YMS, now this.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
Does anyone know what day in April everything will come into affect?  My maintenance funds are still seasoning in my account and will hit the three month mark during April.  For me, going or not going to the UK comes down to a matter of days.  When you think about it, a standards change on April 1st would actually knock out people as of January 1st because you have to have had 3 months of maintenance funds on April 1st.  If I get a biometrics appointment before the day enacting higher standards, will that be my application day of record?

Tier 1 granted ~ 28/3/09

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 03:45:28 PM »
Found the answer to my first question: April 1st.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/migrantworkerstoughertest

I think I'll reach my 3 months mark for funds in mid-April.  If Biometrics is the offical application date, maybe I can get a Biometrics appointment for last week of March and then submit my documents mid-April within the 30 days for funds window.  Any thoughts?

Tier 1 granted ~ 28/3/09

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »
As for the official date of application, I found this on the UKBA Immigration Rules section:

"Determination of the date of an application or claim (or variation of an application or claim) in connection with immigration

34G.  For the purposes of these rules, the date on which an application or claim (or a variation in accordance with paragraph 34E) is made is as follows:

(i) where the application form is sent by post, the date of posting,

(ii) where the application form is submitted in person, the date on which it is accepted by a public enquiry office of the United Kingdom Border Agency of the Home Office,

(iii) where the application form is sent by courier, the date on which it is delivered to the United Kingdom Border Agency of the Home Office, or

(iv) where the application form is submitted online, the date on which it is so submitted."

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part1/

Don't fully understand it though.  Is the Submit online date the same as when you do the online Visa Request at Welcome to Visa4UK?

http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/Welcome.htm

Tier 1 granted ~ 28/3/09

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »
I feel like I'm never going to get there.  :(
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

"Everyone, just...pretend to be normal, okay?" - Little Miss Sunshine

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »
As for the official date of application, I found this on the UKBA Immigration Rules section:

"Determination of the date of an application or claim (or variation of an application or claim) in connection with immigration

34G.  For the purposes of these rules, the date on which an application or claim (or a variation in accordance with paragraph 34E) is made is as follows:

(iv) where the application form is submitted online, the date on which it is so submitted."

Which is helpfully contradicted by this little gem that appears in all of the PBS policy guidances:

The date of application will be taken to be the following: For applications made outside the UK:
The date that the fee associated with the application is paid and the applicant’s biometric details taken.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab