Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How much money can you leave the US with (take on a plane and enter the UK)  (Read 10012 times)

• Liked: 1
Hi All

If this has already been asked and answered then feel free to re-direct me.

How much money can DH & I leave the USA with (Cash) and then enter the UK through an airport.

I believe we can each enter the UK with up to 10,000 Euro but what is the amount we can leave the USA with.  Can we enter with dollars or does it have to be sterling or Euro, which would be better?  Are the amounts different for leaving the US (US Rules/Law) and then different again for entering the UK (UK Rules/Laws)?

Anyway I hope y'all can help me out.  Ta very much............Alsatianx2

• Liked: 0
From 15 June 2007, if you are travelling to or from a country outside the
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_026096&propertyType=document

European Union (EU), you will need to declare any sums of cash of 10,000 Euro or more (or the equivalent in another currency) to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

You do not need to declare cash if you are travelling to or from another EU country.

US:
http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=447&p_created=1043364939&p_sid=1LU5Jsrj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTEsMTEmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1jYXNo&p_li=&p_topview=1

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not collect duty on currency.  However, travelers leaving or entering the U.S. are required to report negotiable monetary instruments (i.e. currency or endorsed checks) valued at $10,000 or more on a "Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments" form FinCEN 105.

You can obtain the form in advance and download it from here FinCEN 105, or a CBP officer can give it to you upon your departure or return to the U.S. 

Failure to declare currency in amounts of over $10,000 can result in its seizure.

Information on the FinCEN 105 is provided to the IRS, and they determine whether or not the importation of monies constitutes income subject to taxation.

The requirement to import currency on a FinCEN 105 does not apply to imports of gold bullion.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:24:30 PM by julia_atlanta »

Thanks !!  :)

Is that per person so essentially a married couple could each bring up to $10,000 or is it per family unit - $10,000 total?

Thanks in advance.

don't know. have a read of the fine print. I think they also have a number to call listed on their site if you have further questions.

!! Thanks !!

• Liked: 102
Although there is no duty there may be UK income tax or CGT if you are remitting income or gains to the UK.

Your travel insurance is unlikely to cover that much cash which may also be a concern.

The bank where you deposit the cash may also enquire the source of the funds and report any money laundering concerns to the SOCA.

US:
http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=447&p_created=1043364939&p_sid=1LU5Jsrj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTEsMTEmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1jYXNo&p_li=&p_topview=1

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not collect duty on currency.  However, travelers leaving or entering the U.S. are required to report negotiable monetary instruments (i.e. currency or endorsed checks) valued at $10,000 or more on a "Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments" form FinCEN 105.

It is not just crossing the boarder in the US, if you carry $10,000+ in cash you are required to have the proper documentation. Otherwise if you are stopped the law assumes that you have acquired the funds illegally and it can be seized. To make matters worse the burden of proof is on you to convince the government that you obtained it legally and should get it back. Police departments love this because they get to keep a good portion of the money. Since it is not a criminal matter your rights are much more restricted.

Thanks !!  :)

Is that per person so essentially a married couple could each bring up to $10,000 or is it per family unit - $10,000 total?

Thanks in advance.

Per person. FWIW, last time we returned to the UK, my husband was carrying a check for $10k+. He declared it, stood in the "I have something to declare" line, and the customs agent barely even glanced at it.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab