Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Worse Than An IA  (Read 215960 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Worse Than An IA
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 02:16:15 AM »
On the basis of the blood results that diagnosed my low thyroid and a urine test subsequent to that, I've been 'invited' for a blood glucose test, to confirm their thinking that I'm also diabetic.

In addition to my hypertension.

Which means if I'm diagnosed diabetic I'll have to go in to have my cardiac health assessed.

Cool, more needles and prodding!
Welcome to the club. I'm type 2 and have hypertension.
If I would loose some weight they say it would do wonders but I love my food and my sweets.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:31 AM »
Welcome to the club. I'm type 2 and have hypertension.
If I would loose some weight they say it would do wonders but I love my food and my sweets.

That's just it.  I'm only a stone and a half overweight, and piled on a stone in a month, most likely from the underactive thyroid because it's already dropping off with the thyroxine (I had my third child this past November and apparently it's common for the thyroid to go off-kilter after having a baby) and more exercise. 

I have a very strong paternal history of hypertension and heart disease, so I think I just got bad luck in the gene sweepstakes with that. 

I'm lucky in that I have a good metabolism and enjoy exercise, however.

I don't care for sweets too much - I bake a lot for the kids, but I do like food.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 08:30:47 AM »
Expat, thyroid issues and type 1 diabetes (the autoimmune kind) go hand and hand...
Sending you a PM  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 11:19:04 AM »
Spoke to my mom on the phone a couple of days ago...my dad's fine after having back surgery late last year and back to his old active self at 73 years old...my mom however just dropped in the conversation that she has fallen about a dozen times in the past couple of weeks and broke her arm in the last one and they don't know why she keeps falling. She's survived 3 bouts with cancer and now this...I'm 6,000 miles away and I just want to hug my mom.
Oh and who knows what my status here will be next year when my spousal visa expires, with all this BCI bill stuff going on it's hard not to get depressed...and after 9 months of looking I still haven't fount a job...I could just keep going but I'm depressed enough as it is already.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 11:37:21 AM »
Hugs to all. 

As my Swiss friend Sonja says, I send you love and light.
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »
My WTAIA:  My dad lost his job last week.  No severance, no warning, no nothing - he showed up for work and was told the company had eliminated the department.  Chances of finding another job when you're a 59-year-old man with a high school diploma, a bad back and very few teeth, living in an area with double-digit unemployment?  Not so great.  :(

Oh gosh, this was my dad a few years ago!  Well, he's even got his bachelor's degree now but after 30+ years in the high tech industry, he's now working part-time in a grocery store :(

My personal one: my mom's back in the hospital for the umpteenth time.  She's got ovarian cancer and has recently had a few operations to correct some bowel problems.  Now she's having major problems with absorption of nutrients & kidney function and keeps having to go back to the hospital when they dip dangerously low.  Every time we think she might be home 'for good', she winds up back there again :(.

Sorry, not trying to make this a pity-party, but it's not something I talk about with people a lot and while generally I have been positive about her cancer over the past 3+ years, this particular round of problems has really made the situation hit home.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »
Expat, thyroid issues and type 1 diabetes (the autoimmune kind) go hand and hand...
Sending you a PM  :)

I don't mean to go off topic, I'm really very sorry to hear of everyones problems. But I have been dealing with this hypothyroid thing for over a year now.  It was so bad that my hair was falling out.  I had been so exhausted that I could hardly function and was drinking up to 2 or 3 cans of redbull a day just to stay awake.  I don't even want to touch on the weight gain it's just so damn depressing.  I've tried every sort of diet going and I try to make it to the gym.  Since I've been put on the medication things have gotten a little better.  My hair has started to grow back and I don't feel nearly as fatigued as I did but I just can't seem to shift the weight and keep gaining.   But after the last blood test he said that things are still not right and they would probably up the dosage again.

In any case is type 1 diabetes something that I should request to be tested for?  This doing my head in all of this but at least it's getting there I suppose

Sorry for the long post!

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »
I'm sorry MEFarrelly, I don't know anything about thyroid problems but I hope you get some good advice.

What a sad thread. :( I just wanted to send hugs to everybody.
doing laundry

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »
In any case is type 1 diabetes something that I should request to be tested for?  This doing my head in all of this but at least it's getting there I suppose

Sorry to hear about your thyroid issues. Are you having any of the following symptoms? Increased thirst and increased amounts of going to the loo? You may want to request a fasting blood glucose test, which is pretty simple, basically first thing in the morning. Also, you can do a Glucose Tolerance Test,which is drinking nasty sugar drink and then they test your BG 2 hours afterwards.  

I should have put the disclaimer that Type 1 diabetes comes on suddenly, with excessive peeing, extreme thirst, extreme fatigue, extreme hunger, usually found when someone is diabetic ketoacidosis, which a very serious condition.  However, there are other types of diabetes (most notably LADA, which originally just presents as blood sugar issues- i.e insulin resistance, like in type 2 but the pancreas eventually stops making insulin completely and its autoimmune.)  Its all a bit complicated.  If you'd like more information, please PM me.  
You're stuck with me!

• Dar
  • Geek of the medieval persuasion

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
For those with hypothyroid, I feel for you.  I have it as well and I can't seem to get the weight off either.  I don't have diabetes; but, I do get regular tests for it as my father and brother have Type 2.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, my husband has been gone for 10 weeks due to the military, the oldest dog has gone mental, work is an absolute nightmare and gets worse everyday (seriously, it is like the 9 circles of hell), and there is family drama in there just to balance all the horrible stuff out.  There are loads of other things; but, writing them out depresses me even more.

*hugs* to all of those who really need them!
I am the architect of my destiny.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 07:54:06 PM »
I'm sorry MEFarrelly, I don't know anything about thyroid problems but I hope you get some good advice.

What a sad thread. :( I just wanted to send hugs to everybody.

Sorry to hear about your thyroid issues. Are you having any of the following symptoms? Increased thirst and increased amounts of going to the loo? You may want to request a fasting blood glucose test, which is pretty simple, basically first thing in the morning. Also, you can do a Glucose Tolerance Test,which is drinking nasty sugar drink and then they test your BG 2 hours afterwards.  

I should have put the disclaimer that Type 1 diabetes comes on suddenly, with excessive peeing, extreme thirst, extreme fatigue, extreme hunger, usually found when someone is diabetic ketoacidosis, which a very serious condition.  However, there are other types of diabetes (most notably LADA, which originally just presents as blood sugar issues- i.e insulin resistance, like in type 2 but the pancreas eventually stops making insulin completely and its autoimmune.)  Its all a bit complicated.  If you'd like more information, please PM me.  
For those with hypothyroid, I feel for you.  I have it as well and I can't seem to get the weight off either.  I don't have diabetes; but, I do get regular tests for it as my father and brother have Type 2.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, my husband has been gone for 10 weeks due to the military, the oldest dog has gone mental, work is an absolute nightmare and gets worse everyday (seriously, it is like the 9 circles of hell), and there is family drama in there just to balance all the horrible stuff out.  There are loads of other things; but, writing them out depresses me even more.

*hugs* to all of those who really need them!

Thank you all.. I will ask the doctor about this when I see him next.  I have to go for another blood test on Wednesday.  (I'm getting tired of blood tests).   

Dar hugs... It's difficult when they're away there's a few of us here that know what it's like.. Feel free if you need to pm if you need to chat.

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »
Aside from being annoying, the weight gain for me is dangerous because I already have hypertension and my dad and all four of his siblings have had heart attacks.  Two died of heart attack, and the daughter of his brother who died of heart attack died herself of heart attack aged just 39.  Other than my dad, NONE of them was smoker (my dad was a smoker) or a big drinker.  But all were overweight/obese and two were also diabetic.

Like I said, right now it's a stone and a half I'm over.

But yeah, that fatigue is dire.  As bad as it was when I had the iron-deficient anaemia whilst pregnant. 

Unfortunately, I have excessive thirst and urination as well.

I know for a lot of women in my age range, their biggest fear is getting breast cancer.  But unfortunately, heart disease is an even bigger cause of death among women, mainly because it's a silent killer.

Sorry for everyone else's worse than IA's, too!

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 11:29:17 PM »
My mother's brain scan came back clear. What a relief! Hopefully now my other problems will sort themselves out.

Hugs to all!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 05:02:36 AM »
My grandmother is dying.  We moved her into hospice care tonight.   :\\\'(  :\\\'(  :\\\'( 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 08:02:16 AM »
My mother's brain scan came back clear. What a relief! Hopefully now my other problems will sort themselves out.

Hugs to all!

Great news!! 

More hugs to all!!! 
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links