Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Worse Than An IA  (Read 216037 times)

• Liked: 9
Re: Worse Than An IA
« Reply #2460 on: July 06, 2014, 01:53:05 AM »
Mom just called to tell me my sister has died. All that is known so far is she and her boyfriend went to St. Louis for a trip, she came home and went to bed. She was found in bed. The reason is not known yet, but she had a history of heart problems, plus other health issues.

I have been at odds with her our whole lives, but never wanted anything like this.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #2461 on: July 06, 2014, 02:47:54 AM »
Continuing on, because it is all weighing heavily at the moment, I am sitting here feeling like a prize sh*t and have been since the call. As I mentioned, she and I have never gotten along, but somewhere deep inside we did love each other. Lately it has been WAY deep, because we haven't even been talking. Dad and I have been at odds since March because of it, and hadn't talked since. Now it is too late to patch things up with her.

Dad and I talked a few minutes ago, and nothing was mentioned about all the ickiness that has been going on, the not talking because of me being upset with her. All that disappeared, but I didn't want this to be the reason we started talking yet.

They arrived home about 10 or so this morning, and she told him she was tired and was going to bed and would see her later. When he went to check on her because she'd been in there so long, it was too late. Dad said the coroner says it appears she went to sleep and just didn't wake up. Dad will be calling her heart doctor in the morning to see what he might be able to tell  what happened. She was 36.

We were unwinding after taking MIL to the airport, having a few bottles of beer and watching a dvd. I'd only had three, but didn't think I should make the 78 mile trip after them. We will head to mom's in the morning. Mom will have people with her tonight and dad is staying at his brother's.

I'm aware I am in shock, and maybe it will seem real tomorrow. Maybe.

Thanks everyone for listening.

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2462 on: July 06, 2014, 06:58:51 AM »
Oh no, TamaMoo!  All I can offer is lots of virtual hugs.  I'll hold you and your family in my thoughts. (((TamaMoo)))
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2463 on: July 06, 2014, 09:44:28 AM »
Oh Tama, I am so very sorry for your loss (((hugs)))
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 2
Re:
« Reply #2464 on: July 06, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
Oh my gosh. That is dreadful and I'm so sorry.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #2465 on: July 07, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about your sister, Tama.  It will be a considerable shock to you, no matter what your relationship was.  Losing a sibling is tough.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #2466 on: July 08, 2014, 12:14:02 AM »
Thanks all. That was written in the initial, raw stages of first finding out, without much thought or even awareness. I just had to get it out.

The coroner still hasn't been able to talk to her doctor, but it has been said that she took her blood sugar reading prior to going to bed, and it was seriously low. She took something to try to raise it, but perhaps should have stayed awake. You don't think of those things when you aren't feeling good.

I find consolation in knowing she was happy with her new job and new relationship, and had recently lost some of the weight she has been trying to lose for a while. She was happy, went to bed happy, and went peacefully. May be a strange way to look at it, but it helps.

― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #2467 on: September 30, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »
We knew before we went away that a neighbour and our daughter's singing teacher had a mysterious form of cancer.  Back home to discover that it is untreatable and she may have only days or weeks.  Very sad news indeed.  :\\\'(
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #2468 on: September 30, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »
So very sorry to hear that,  BD. It just seems to unfair.

― Dr. Seuss

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2469 on: October 01, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
We knew before we went away that a neighbour and our daughter's singing teacher had a mysterious form of cancer.  Back home to discover that it is untreatable and she may have only days or weeks.  Very sad news indeed.  :\\\'(
So sorry to hear this BD.  Big hugs to you.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2470 on: October 01, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »
Aww, sorry to hear that BD (((hugs)))
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2471 on: October 01, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »
Mom had a mild heart attack yesterday.  She spent last night in the hospital and had three stents put in today. She is going to be fine after some rest, but being 4000 miles away during all this sucks. She was at our house,  because she is birdsitting Joey. Fortunately,  she called Chris and he took her. We fly home tomorrow, which helps. Otherwise I'd be losing my mind even though Chris and my aunt have both assured me she is fine.

― Dr. Seuss

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2472 on: October 01, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
Oh man, Tama, that's no good. :(
Hard being far away, even on holiday !
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2473 on: October 02, 2014, 08:15:24 AM »
Hope your mother makes a good recovery, Tama.  There is no "convenient" time for these things of course but it always seems worse if you're far away.
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• Liked: 63
« Reply #2474 on: October 02, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
Tama I feel for you. I lost my mother in May, and got the news via a call from DH while I was on a bus in Manchester. I had been to the US 6 weeks before, and she had a hospital stay then. When I left, she was apologizing for not feeling well enough to go shopping and all the other things we typically did when I came for a visit.

I truly hope this is just a 'blip' with respect to your mother's health, as a heart attack often is. In any case, I know that helpless feeling (and a bit of guilt) that comes with not being there 'at the time'. As BD said, there's no 'convenient' time for these things.

Take care of yourself, and all the best and hopes for a speedy recovery for your mom.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links