Author Topic: Worse Than An IA  (Read 161001 times)

Offline BlackAck

• Liked: 20
Re: Worse Than An IA
« Reply #2520 on: December 16, 2017, 07:08:28 PM »
I've just been laid off from my job.  Merry Christmas.  Here's the story,

the Acting CEO who is leaving for a high paying job with a technology giant at the end of the month wanted to leave on a high with a positive achievement for her career by reducing the employee headcount across the company and putting the FY2018 budget in the black. 

I was selected because my performance evaluation scores from last year were the lowest in my department (3.x out of 5, I had only been employed for three months when evaluated). Apparently my supervisors tried to get me reassigned internally but since cuts were being made across the board, other managers couldn't help.

It might put a dent in my UK plans.  Leaving the building yesterday, the first person I saw was the Acting CEO chatting on the phone.   ::) 

Offline margo

• Liked: 242
« Reply #2521 on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:45 PM »

the Acting CEO who is leaving for a high paying job with a technology giant at the end of the month wanted to leave on a high with a positive achievement for her career by reducing the employee headcount across the company and putting the FY2018 budget in the black. 

I was selected because my performance evaluation scores from last year were the lowest in my department (3.x out of 5, I had only been employed for three months when evaluated). Apparently my supervisors tried to get me reassigned internally but since cuts were being made across the board, other managers couldn't help.

It might put a dent in my UK plans.  Leaving the building yesterday, the first person I saw was the Acting CEO chatting on the phone.   ::)
I'm so sorry to hear that at Xmas. Our generation seems to be bearing the brunt of 'cost savings measures' with multiple layoffs in most careers.

Silver lining - Maybe it could speed up the UK plans if you find a job there?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Met: 2013
Married: 2016
Biometrics: 7/25/17
Mailed: 7/29/17
Confirmation Email: 8/2/17
Decision Email:
Received:

Offline TravelingFrog

• Liked: 216
« Reply #2522 on: December 17, 2017, 12:31:46 AM »

That really sucks, BlackAck.

Margo's got a good point - could this change your plans and get you to the UK sooner?
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Online larrabee

• Liked: 2729
« Reply #2523 on: December 17, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »
I'm really sorry BlackAck. That would be lousy at any time of year.  :-\\\\

March 28th 2013-Moved to UK, husband on spouse visa.Oct 20th 2015-Applied by mail for FLR(M).Feb 1st 2016 FLR(M).March 7th 2018 ILR. YAY! March 21st NCS&JCAP appointment.

Online KFdancer

• Liked: 2350
« Reply #2524 on: December 17, 2017, 08:34:01 AM »
I am so sorry.  My company in the UK laid off 300 people the week before Christmas last year.  It just seems particularly harsh this time of year!

Offline phatbeetle

• Deadhead in Scotland
  • Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 163
« Reply #2525 on: December 18, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »
I'm really sorry BlackAck.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Offline jfkimberly

• Liked: 292
« Reply #2526 on: December 18, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »
That really sucks... what a rude thing to do just before Christmas.  I understand cost-saving measures to benefit the company as a whole, but maybe give a little warning, and don't do it a week before Christmas!  I'm sorry, BlackAcK.  :(

(I keep wanting to call you BlackAcre...)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
Now just waiting out the clock for ILR.

Offline BlackAck

• Liked: 20
« Reply #2527 on: December 18, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »
Me too!

Offline lyonaria

• Liked: 368
« Reply #2528 on: February 14, 2018, 10:16:07 PM »
So effing ticked off right now.  [smiley=bomb.gif] [smiley=bomb.gif]

Because I was just caught out by this.

In case you didn't know, if you have a joint account with your spouse and one of you updates your account information, this will not change for both of you. Each of you need to change your registered address.

If you don't, you'll be like me without being able to have a new debit card sent to you because your "registered address" is your previous one and the ATM ate your card for unknown reasons.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Offline margo

• Liked: 242
« Reply #2529 on: February 15, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »
So effing ticked off right now.  [smiley=bomb.gif] [smiley=bomb.gif]

Because I was just caught out by this.

In case you didn't know, if you have a joint account with your spouse and one of you updates your account information, this will not change for both of you. Each of you need to change your registered address.

If you don't, you'll be like me without being able to have a new debit card sent to you because your "registered address" is your previous one and the ATM ate your card for unknown reasons.
Wow :( can you go to a branch and have them make the correction? I'm sorry you have to go through that!

Met: 2013
Married: 2016
Biometrics: 7/25/17
Mailed: 7/29/17
Confirmation Email: 8/2/17
Decision Email:
Received:

Offline lyonaria

• Liked: 368
« Reply #2530 on: February 15, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »
Wow :( can you go to a branch and have them make the correction? I'm sorry you have to go through that!

I have to do that, but I can't until Saturday as I'm traveling or at work from 7am to 7pm.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.